Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I never realized those Mercedes/etc overlanding rigs were so huge. Your van looks so small next to it. And how fortunate they were nearby!

Off Topic... @Robert OB 33/48 Thanks so much for making such great trip videos. I really enjoyed watching your adventure around Morocco.

Bob

Rank III

Advocate II

This was in Urique, down in Copper Canyon. My wife said not to attempt the crossing, but of course I didn't listen to her. (she always reminds me) But the van is just 2wd without lockers or anything. After no success getting out, my son rode his mountain bike back to town to try to get help. But in the meantime a couple of local guys with a Ram 4x4 pulled me out with my tow strap. After we were out, Travis came back with the local cops who were prepared to pull us out also. I know of no place in the U.S. where the cops would be willing to do that.
There are a few more situations where I have been stuck, another one was in a giant mud puddle on the Skutumpah road, on mothers day, which I get reminded of every year.
But these are the things that make a trip memorable. If anyone is interested I will post some more pics of our trip to Copper Canyon.IMG_0668.jpg

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

This was in Urique, down in Copper Canyon. My wife said not to attempt the crossing, but of course I didn't listen to her. (she always reminds me) But the van is just 2wd without lockers or anything. After no success getting out, my son rode his mountain bike back to town to try to get help. But in the meantime a couple of local guys with a Ram 4x4 pulled me out with my tow strap. After we were out, Travis came back with the local cops who were prepared to pull us out also. I know of no place in the U.S. where the cops would be willing to do that.
There are a few more situations where I have been stuck, another one was in a giant mud puddle on the Skutumpah road, on mothers day, which I get reminded of every year.
But these are the things that make a trip memorable. If anyone is interested I will post some more pics of our trip to Copper Canyon.View attachment 2071
I would like to know all about copper canyon, thats a pretty darn good stuck lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brentski

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder Drive, Roswell, GA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

Love this thread, and hate to be able to add to it. This New Years Eve, was hanging out with my brother-in-law and he was bragging about his truck. Since they are developing the land across the street from me, I decided it would be fun to take a moonlit run. We got to a point where the view was nice and sat on the hood philosophizing and solving the troubles of the world. When we got our fill of the cold night air, and decided to turn around and head home, I drove myself into a field of what might be best described as jello pudding. The surface looked identical to the terra firma I'd drove in on, but as I stepped out I sank in up to my knees. We tried for the better part of 3 hours to recover, no place to even hook a winch (even if I had one), and the goop kept filling back in as fast as I could shovel it away.
The next morning we returned in muck boots with boards and high hopes of getting unstuck, my wife and daughter couldn't resist to point and laugh at Da's stupidity and bad luck. My luck broke when a neighbor from the other side of the property showed up to see what was going on. He had an old Jeep Comanche with rear locker. I was so grateful for the help! As he turned around to attach a strap, and started slipping and sliding and barely got moving again. He said he'd be right back and left. 20 minutes later, I felt hope dwindling as I flopped around my vehicle in the knee deep pudding. I spied some chunks of rock about 200 yards away, and began walking them to my rig when he showed back up. He went home and replaced his front axle with a fully locked one. Strap attached now we were back in the fight. It took the better part of a half an hour to rock us back and forth to pull me out of the soup. I was so grateful and felt terrible as my 3 ton Land Rover bent his rear bumper into a V shape before I was out.
IMG_1948.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG
I will forever walk any land that I suspect to be mud, before driving in it again, and have been drawing up plans for a land anchor that I will keep with me whenever I decide to head out after two weeks of rain!
Please don't laugh too hard at me.

Brent