OsmenKen

Rank 0

Contributor I

Los Angeles, 加利福尼亚美国
First Name
Osmen
Last Name
Ken
Hi guys, owner of 08 f350 super duty. So i’ve been trying to figure out what’s wrong with my truck for the past 2 weeks. To keep things short basically in tbe mornings she starts up just fine. I drive to work after work i run a couple errands etc then eventually it doesn’t wan’t to start. It cranks several times amd nothing happens. Until maybe after about 30 minutes of just sitting there i’ll turn the key and it starts just fine. Almost like if it needed to cool down a little bit or something has anyone else had this problem? If so what’s the issue and how can i fix it? Thanks for the replies in advance

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Decades ago I had this problem with an F-100, (yes, F100, I’m that old) back when the fuel tank used to be behind the seat. It’d fire right up in the morn, and get home at night, however, any more that that short 12 mile trip, it would not start if shut down. I’m thinking clogged filter in fuel tank. Mine had a sock filter, all the sediment floating around would slowly get pulled into it. After about an hour- it would start up just fine. Hopefully this helps.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i bought a new F350 super duty in 2008 for my construction company, and being the only ford in the fleet...it got abused accordingly. it did great for a few years and then i had constant problems. i then started hearing how the '08s had serious engine problems since it was also the first year of the new 6.4 engine. i had various sensors go out and the EGR ended up giving a lot of problems even to the point where it would not accelerate or even pull itself over a small incline.

the '08s were before DEF, so i know mine would do that thing where it revs up and gets really hot and supposedly blows out the carbon build up. even that got weird and would act up. maybe look specifically at the EGR. i was considering doing an EGR delete, but it was close to $2000 to have a shop do it.

i always had cummins and dodge for diesel pickups and had zero issues. the '08 powerstroke was impressive at first and it did keep running despite always having engine lights coming on, so although i was aggravated that the engine was having so many problems, i was also a little impressed how it did keep running despite blowing white smoke and leaking fluids like a seive

@MOAK is right about filters. there is the fuel filter in the engine bay and one back by the driver rear tire. that filter is a bitch to get to because the fuel lines block you from removing the filter element and you have to remove the brackets holding the fuel lines in place and move the lines out of the way. some folk didnt realize there is a 2nd filter and that rear filter is the first in line, so it would get clogged first even if the filter element in the engine bay looks decent

id check that 2nd filter if you havent already (thats an easy fix if the problem) and then definitely check the EGR

Last edited:
Reactions: RussellBeavers

OsmenKen

Rank 0

Contributor I

Los Angeles, 加利福尼亚美国
First Name
Osmen
Last Name
Ken
Decades ago I had this problem with an F-100, (yes, F100, I’m that old) back when the fuel tank used to be behind the seat. It’d fire right up in the morn, and get home at night, however, any more that that short 12 mile trip, it would not start if shut down. I’m thinking clogged filter in fuel tank. Mine had a sock filter, all the sediment floating around would slowly get pulled into it. After about an hour- it would start up just fine. Hopefully this helps.
Thanks MOAK, I will check the filter and see whether there's a problem of it

OsmenKen

Rank 0

Contributor I

Los Angeles, 加利福尼亚美国
First Name
Osmen
Last Name
Ken
i bought a new F350 super duty in 2008 for my construction company, and being the only ford in the fleet...it got abused accordingly. it did great for a few years and then i had constant problems. i then started hearing how the '08s had serious engine problems since it was also the first year of the new 6.4 engine. i had various sensors go out and the EGR ended up giving a lot of problems even to the point where it would not accelerate or even pull itself over a small incline.

the '08s were before DEF, so i know mine would do that thing where it revs up and gets really hot and supposedly blows out the carbon build up. even that got weird and would act up. maybe look specifically at the EGR. i was considering doing an EGR delete, but it was close to $2000 to have a shop do it.

i always had cummins and dodge for diesel pickups and had zero issues. the '08 powerstroke was impressive at first and it did keep running despite always having engine lights coming on, so although i was aggravated that the engine was having so many problems, i was also a little impressed how it did keep running despite blowing white smoke and leaking fluids like a seive

@MOAK is right about filters. there is the fuel filter in the engine bay and one back by the driver rear tire. that filter is a bitch to get to because the fuel lines block you from removing the filter element and you have to remove the brackets holding the fuel lines in place and move the lines out of the way. some folk didnt realize there is a 2nd filter and that rear filter is the first in line, so it would get clogged first even if the filter element in the engine bay looks decent

id check that 2nd filter if you havent already (thats an easy fix if the problem) and then definitely check the EGR

Great information! thank you grubworm

Reactions: grubworm

Contributor III

USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Beavers

Thank you for all the info and link. You made my day. I stumbled over your piece when looking for essay ideas online, and after reading it, I discovered https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/12-angry-men/ It is incredibly beneficial for me in helping me find the ideal themes for my essay writing assignment. If you're seeking for essay writing ideas as well, you should check out this website.
Thank you for all the info and link. You made my day :)

Last edited:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
What engine? My thoughts will change a bit if it's a 6.4 Powerstroke or a gasser. But my money is on fuel, either a filter or a pump that is starting to go.
ETA: If its the 6.4, I would change fuel filters with OE, WIX or Donaldson. There are some filters out there that will not seal properly in the Powerstroke filter housings allowing you to essentially loose prime. These are filter brands I have run on 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7s. After that I would go after the high-pressure fuel relief valve. Those guys can loose spring tension and allow hot fuel to bypass, again essentially loosing prime.
Also because it came up, do not even consider doing a delete. When I was selling performance parts for light duty diesel, I talked to a few people who were cited for having deleted trucks, it's a $15K fine and technically a federal crime to remove/ tamper with emissions equipment. Then as the legit tuning companies are no longer doing the tunes required due to increased enforcement, the only guys still doing it do not have the best track record for good tunes, and since you are violating federal law customer service is not really a thing.

Last edited: