Wiring DC

• HTML tutorial

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
Is it a good idea to run USB and 12v (cigarette lighter) directly to a lithium battery. Or do something like the picture and run everything through a solar charge controller?
Solar+charge+controller+basic+configuration.png

I dont need any AC plugs.

I'm pretty dense when it comes to wiring.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
You can safely wire stuff straight to a battery but it would generally help with battery health to have an intermediate device
Charge controller can help to normalize the power coming out of the battery.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
use a fuse block. wire the fuse block directly to the battery and then every circuit you run will be a separate circuit, each protected by a fuse. its simple to do...buy the block and wire the +/- terminals of the battery to the +/- terminals of the fuse block and then wire your USB connector with the ground wire (black) going to the ground bus (metal bar with multiple screws on it) and the hot wire to a screw coming right off of a fuse. that way your circuit is protected and isolated from the others.
simple and cheap. click on the link under the pic and order the size you need

1704329735930.png

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
use a fuse block. wire the fuse block directly to the battery and then every circuit you run will be a separate circuit, each protected by a fuse. its simple to do...buy the block and wire the +/- terminals of the battery to the +/- terminals of the fuse block and then wire your USB connector with the ground wire (black) going to the ground bus (metal bar with multiple screws on it) and the hot wire to a screw coming right off of a fuse. that way your circuit is protected and isolated from the others.
simple and cheap. click on the link under the pic and order the size you need

View attachment 271219

I would also use a fuseblock.

And above all, I would first make a plan of what is to be installed and what electrical consumers might be added in the near future. I would then size the additional electrics accordingly. Otherwise you're always starting again and again.

Additonally, I would install a main fuse between the fuse block and battery, sufficiently dimensioned of course, also the wiring. This has also a side effect bevause this way, you can disconnect the additional electrical system from the rest and have an unmodified original electrical system. That makes any troubleshooting easier.

By the way, we have an Electronics and Electric Q&A subforum here. You'll find lots of solutions there. But please be careful, faulty electrics can lead to a disaster. It's better to have a professional with the appropriate expertise do it if you don't have the knowledge and appropriate tools yourself. Perhaps there is a member near you who can help?

Reactions: Speric and grubworm

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I'm no electrician, but I recently installed a house battery in my camper after researching it ad nauseam, and that wiring diagram scares me. lol
Why is there a fuse on the ground from the battery? and is that inverter just tapping into the line there? and why doesn't it have a fuse? especially an inverter.
And definitely get a fuse block to wire up any ports or accessories like lights to it so they are fused. Essentially every red wire should be fused.
And if you add things like an inverter, and a fuse block, and... then you might want to busbars.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Solar power goes thru the charge controller and to the battery. I draw power from the battery to a fuse box and also to charging ports. 12 total. Not a problem.
Zim

IMG_0841.JPG