Wiper blades

• HTML tutorial

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Does anyone have a favorite wiper blade brand? On my fj it has 3 front wipers and I have gone thru 3 sets of blades this year mud and dirt kills them pretty quick.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

The biggest problem I have with blades on my FJ is the length. Not all brands are the same "true" measurement. I have tried multiple types and the $1.94 Walmart ones seem to work and fit the best.

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Haha, I would've though the biggest problem with blades on the FJ was that there is an extra one!

I change blades on both rigs every two years.. it seems that is how long they live without giving up the ghost.. Costco has Michelins that are nice. I try not to run them is they are covered in mud, or really iced up. Keeping rain-x on the glass and a good brand of fluid helps too. Try to minimize the dry wipe as much as possible.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I just noticed FJ's have a third wiper a few months back. I still can't look away when I see them in action....

But, with that said, I have never paid attention to what brand I buy. I replace them when I feel they are not clearing. I assume twice a year at best. I chalk it up to MN winters....

Reactions: O.Dfj

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Yep I replace mine when I can't see clearly anymore. He really I replace with whatever I find at Costco.. The last set was Goodyear.. Work fine.. Probably time for new ones after 2 years.. For $2.50 per blade, wipers are not something I research deeply.

Reactions: Gunnermoose

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

For the longest time I used Rain X Wipers... Then they started to go down in quality... So I switched to BOSCH Icon's.... Well, wouldn't you know - same problem. I started using Valeo wiper blades 3 years ago and I just replaced by first set in September. So I can get 3 years out of 1 set of Valeo blades that collectively cost me $30.

Now, this is just for front wipers. The rear wiper on a 4th Gen 4Runner is horribly designed and those suckers crap out within a day, but I've gotten used to it.

Reactions: O.Dfj
E

expeditionnorth

I use the old tried & true Amco winter wiper blades & replace them every 2 years

every so often I clean off the rubber strip with an alcohol wipe that removes any debris etc

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I must be shopping at the wrong places last time I replaced my wipers, I bought the cheapest available abd spent $51. Two on the front, one the back. $17 per blade.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I think it's been a while since y'all bought some wipers, I just looked at Wal Mart the cheapest wiper on there website is $6.74.

Blank

Rank III

Advocate II

Yuma, AZ
I can't believe the good luck I've had with the Michelin brand. It's all I run now since I actually had a set last all summer in Yuma, AZ (the surface of the sun basically)

Dillon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ8J
I've been buying the Goodyear blades that Costco sells for 3 or 4 years now. They go on sale a couple of times a year for $5 or $6 each. I replace them once a year. They work fine for me.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I have tried a ton of different blades. I live in the high desert where conditions are harsh to say the least, last week our state had a low of -46F in one area, in the summer we can have a month or more that tops 100F. There is sand, dust, and gravel trucks that turn your windshield into sand paper. We have to deal with harsh UV exposure due to altitude, ice, rain (often full of mud thanks to the dust), and everything else you see in normal driving.

Your mileage may vary based on your environment, but here is what I have found:

Goodyear: I was not impressed with Goodyear blades, they didn't last very long before starting to streak. Initial performance was acceptable, but the lifespan was below average. They also had a tendency to lift up at speed on our sedan thanks to the clunky mounting adapters. I also found the low-profile design did not conform well to the glass and would get stiff in cold weather, leaving large areas of the windshield untouched (usually right in front of my eyes).

Rain-X Latitude: Expensive junk. These wore extremely fast and were too soft to deal with ice and snow. They might do well in a more mild climate, but for me they were overpriced and ready to be thrown away within 3 months. I used the monolithic low-profile style blades and found they did not conform to the glass well, especially at the tip of the passenger side. This resulted in snow and ice buildup that slowly lifted the blade off the glass and require me to pull over at regular intervals to clean the blade by hand.

Bosch: The traditional hinged metal arm blades are fantastic in the summer. They are vented so they won't lift at highway speed and they conform to the windscreen very well. The problem with these is the same one that affects all traditional arm style blades: buildup of ice and snow freezes the arm joints causing the blade to be less effective in winter weather. These are probably the best summer blades I have used in rain for longevity and conforming to the shape of the glass.

Michelin Stealth: These are a hybrid design that combines the best aspects of a one-piece low-profile blade and a traditional jointed metal arm. These blades work really well on the XTerra's more vertical windscreen, but can lift off the glass at high speed on a more raked windshield due to their height. For the XTerra, these are my go-to all-season blades. They perform well in the summer and stand up to UV better than most I've tried, in the winter they don't get frozen up with ice like a traditional blade but still keep the ability to conform to the glass. They are also one of the longest lasting blades I've used.