Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

Okay, so here's the part where we write down all our dream plans for WinterBus. Some of these are underway and some will take when time or money become available.

• Replace five tires with BF Goodrich T/A KO2 30" Tires
  • Install Sony XAV-AX100 Stereo (post removal of Japanese Karaoke machine and TV
  • Install flush mounted USB port
  • AUX fuse and isolator box
  • Reverse Camera
  • Garmin DashCam 55 with hardwire harness
  • Pull out kitchenette mounted in space below rear bench seat (include water tank and storage if possible)
  • Cup holders
  • Mount Thule bars or custom cage rack
  • Consider RTT install
  • Replace rear bumper with split swing arm tire and storage mount (spare fuel mount0
  • Steel 20l Jerry Cans
  • Engine block heater (plug?)
  • Replace diesel timer

feetforbrains

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

Okay, the good news is that I tracked down and removed more karaoke machine. If you buy a JDM rig keep in mind that they loved to a) smoke in their vehicles and b) sing karaoke between stoplights. Seriously, this thing was wired for a party. Too bad none of it works in North America.

The bad news. While I was in there (pulled the driver's side seat and a bunch of carpet and panels) I noticed three rust spots. Converted them, then cleaned them up with Rustoleum for treatment. Nothing structural, which is fortunate, but all three spots will require welding 16g into fix. Ugh! C'est la vie, am I right?

feetforbrains

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

BTW, I have actually replaced tires. The 30" BFGs are a dream, reduce road noise considerably and have already pulled me out of a couple of tight island spots.

Reactions: Glenn

feetforbrains

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

Yeah that is what i thought it was. Crazy kool rig man and looks to be in very good shape.
Thanks Glenn, I brought it over from Koyoto this summer. Twenty-five year EPA/NHTSB rule made import possible. So far I've found a couple of minor issues (like the rust), but otherwise its as good as can be expected for a 26-year-old land-beast.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Nice rig.
My UK L200 (Triton) runs the same engine - the 4D56. Turbo oil seals always let a bit of oil through. although it doesn't usually end up on the outside :smiley: If it has an intercooler, give it, and the pipes, a good clean out.

feetforbrains

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

Nice rig.
My UK L200 (Triton) runs the same engine - the 4D56. Turbo oil seals always let a bit of oil through. although it doesn't usually end up on the outside :smiley: If it has an intercooler, give it, and the pipes, a good clean out.
Yeah that seems to be the sentiment. Over on http://delicas.ca there are how-tos on the topic. I've got brake cleaner and rags so once it's cleared up I'll be able to isolate the leak. No intercooler here (L300) so somewhat simplified.

I'll keep you posted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: nickburt

feetforbrains

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

Okay, some good news! Late yesterday afternoon (this far north it was dark) a box came from RightDrive. I thought this was a box of door seals I ordered so I put it in the garage on the workbench and let it chill for the night. When I checked the email from them this morning I realized it was the filter kit I ordered a couple of weeks back. Sweet!

Haven't done the fuel-filter or oil change yet, but I did swap the air filter and holy cow! I now have NO unburnt fuel in the exhaust at start or under load and no power loss on hills.

feetforbrains

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

Amazing what happens when you let it breath properly :tearsofjoy:
No kidding! Apparently, after surgical karaokectomy, there are a number of other things I'm going to need to address. I tend toward slow and methodical when it comes to anything under the bonnet, but I may need to pick up the pace just to ensure it's all working as designed.

Look what showed up today.

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Ok, dumb question time...was that sold originally in the US? I don't remember the Mitsu ever coming with the shortened (non-US) bumper? I remember the bumper sticking out like 3 ft in front (ok, that's an exaggeration)!

Flank

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Atkinson
Member #

How do you like those BFG A/T's? Do they fit on the stock rims with stock height?

I've got a 94' L300 Exceed, was thinking of putting a set on there when it finally needs new shoes.

Reactions: feetforbrains