Winter Car Sleeping Tips?

• HTML tutorial

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Does anyone have good tips or tricks for comfortably sleeping in a truck on cold winter nights?

I may be temporarily homeless soon due to my landlord getting foreclosed on. Housing in my town is at a 97% or higher occupancy (some of the highest in the country), and prices are insane. Don't have the money for first/last/deposit at the moment, so I may have to sleep in my truck with my dog for a few months.

I have a gym membership, so I've got access to a hot shower whenever I want. Just need some tips on keeping me and the dog warm and comfortable!

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I have no tips, but an idea on "cold" temps would help others. Different parts of the country are "cold" in different ways.

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

I have no tips, but an idea on "cold" temps would help others. Different parts of the country are "cold" in different ways.
Good point. I live in northern Colorado.

Average winter temps dip into the teens, but often hit single digits. Subzero is rare, but not unheard of.

Here's the climate info (in Fahrenheit)
Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.56.58 PM.png

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'm from MN, so, "cold" is different to me that it is to others.

One thing to figure out is warm and dog friendly places you can hang out. fewer hours cooped up in your rig the better.

Also, I am a huge fan of the hand warmers. I always have a big stash of them. If I wake up cold, I open up 2, toss one down by my toes and stuff one in my pocket.

And, I would be talking to friends. No shame in couch hopping for a bit. I've done it, one friend let me be his yard boy in exchange for a corner in his basement to lay my head. If you can get a couple three friends on board, you would never be in one person's hair for more than a few days at a time.

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

When I lived on Wisconsin (my first 19 years) I just kept a really good sleeping bag and a few pillows in my car. Depending on what kind of dog you have they can share the bag or use a separate bag. The important thing to remember is to put your clothes by your feet so they stay warm. Of course this really applies to camping situations If you need to report to work the next day, foot warmed wrinkled clothes won't work. Find a couch!

E

expeditionnorth

I lived in a 1980 chevy van & traveled for a year in all climates
keep your windows vented
dress in layers
the thermacare heating pads for the lower back work wonders to keep your kidneys warm which translate into comfort (warmth) all night ~ http://www.thermacare.com/
or a nalgene bottle filled with warm water in your sleeping bag does wonders too
you would actually be warmer in a 4 season tent or teepee, the vehicle holds the cold too much
watch where you park/sleep, think safety
walmart lets folks park overnight in their lots for free, park near a light it deters thieves if that is a concern
just be safe & good luck

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

the thermacare heating pads for the lower back work wonders to keep your kidneys warm which translate into comfort (warmth) all night
That's a great tip!

Luckily, it looks like I've found a new place to stay... Rent is a little more than I had been paying previously, but it's a MUCH nicer place. Just need to come up with the money for deposit & first month's rent, on top of paying the rent on my current place... :-/

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Layers, Layers, and more layers.
I've found that if you layer up real well and get inside one of those inexpensive old-school rectangular sleeping bags that are big and bulky, wrapped in a blanket inside, you'll generally be warm through anything. Pay attention to your hands, feet, head - all the parts farthest from the heart.

Reactions: expeditionnorth

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

If I had to live in my 4Runner I would get some of the foil bubble wrap insulation and put it over the windows since that is your biggest heat loss. Second, I would get a buddy heater instead of the open flame options since they have safety features to protect you from tip-over and low O2 issues.
Maybe instead of renting, you could look into some camper options if housing is an issue in your area. I live in a 40' 5th wheel with my wife, daughter, and black lab. With sky-high rent, and job uncertainty, this has been an awesome lifestyle change for us. Plus, no rent/mortgage = more overlanding. :smilingimp: Just a thought.

Reactions: ColoradoPacific

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

If I had to live in my 4Runner I would get some of the foil bubble wrap insulation and put it over the windows since that is your biggest heat loss. Second, I would get a buddy heater instead of the open flame options since they have safety features to protect you from tip-over and low O2 issues.
Maybe instead of renting, you could look into some camper options if housing is an issue in your area. I live in a 40' 5th wheel with my wife, daughter, and black lab. With sky-high rent, and job uncertainty, this has been an awesome lifestyle change for us. Plus, no rent/mortgage = more overlanding. :smilingimp: Just a thought.
I'm fine with the idea, I just don't have the money to buy one right now.

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

First thing to come to mind is that you should always remember your seat is not insulating... No seat in a car is insulating. They are specifically designed to be as breathable as possible. So, if you are sleeping in your seat, front or rear. Make sure you insulate yourself against the seat. I would recommend a thermarest or similar. And don't forget your feet, hands, and head... The vehicle bottom, side, windows, top... pretty much everything there will suck the heat right out of you... You could very easily fall asleep perfectly comfortable but with your boots sitting on the floorboards... And wake up with frostbite... So, insulate them as best you can as well.
The other thing is. You are going to build up condensation inside the vehicle. So, even though is seems counter intuitive. Always crack the window/windows just a bit. Not far enough to let in the elements but far enough to let air in and out. Layering is always important...
And, figure out a way to use the restroom inside your rig... Getting out when it is single digits will suck...

And one last thing... If the temps are sub zero or you find that you cannot stay warm inside your rig... Stay in a 4 season tent. Smaller space, better protection from the elements. You can insulate them with snow if you have it. Just a better choice that inside your vehicle...

Last edited:

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Thank you all for the phenomenal tips! It's looking like I will be able to avoid this frigid option though. I think I've found a place which is affordable and will be available in a couple weeks!

HOWEVER, I encourage everyone to continue this thread. It's a valuable topic to discuss!

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Have an ice scraper handy for your windows. also have a wide mouth plastic Nalgene water bottle handy for a piss bottle. its no fun unbundling your layers just to pee. keep bottle under the covers, because the heat from the waterbottle is pretty warm in a freezing car. A USGI poncho liner, (woobie) next to the body works really well under a blanket.

If you need a place to sleep, one of the safest places is in a Walmart parking lot. The cops probably will check you out once but if youre not a wanted man, they patrol the lot and its known all over the country as a haven for people needing to sleep in peace.

Back in the day, Williston North Dakota had an oil boom happening, and there was no motels or places to stay. The Walmart parking lot was a city in itself.....Believe you me, it gets colder than a welldiggers ass up there in the winter.

Last edited:

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Have an ice scraper handy for your windows. also have a wide mouth plastic Nalgene water bottle handy for a piss bottle. its no fun unbundling your layers just to pee. keep bottle under the covers, because the heat from the waterbottle is pretty warm in a freezing car. A USGI poncho liner, (woobie) next to the body works really well under a blanket.

If you need a place to sleep, one of the safest places is in a Walmart parking lot. The cops probably will check you out once but if youre not a wanted man, they patrol the lot and its known all over the country as a haven for people needing to sleep in peace.

Back in the day, Williston North Dakota had an oil boom happening, and there was no motels or places to stay. The Walmart parking lot was a city in itself.....Believe you me, it gets colder than a welldiggers ass up there in the winter.
Make sure that Nalegene Bottle is clear or marked in a special way - just in case you use one for drinking as well!!!

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

First thing to come to mind is that you should always remember your seat is not insulating... No seat in a car is insulating. They are specifically designed to be as breathable as possible. So, if you are sleeping in your seat, front or rear. Make sure you insulate yourself against the seat. I would recommend a thermarest or similar. And don't forget your feet, hands, and head... The vehicle bottom, side, windows, top... pretty much everything there will suck the heat right out of you... You could very easily fall asleep perfectly comfortable but with your boots sitting on the floorboards... And wake up with frostbite... So, insulate them as best you can as well.
The other thing is. You are going to build up condensation inside the vehicle. So, even though is seems counter intuitive. Always crack the window/windows just a bit. Not far enough to let in the elements but far enough to let air in and out. Layering is always important...
And, figure out a way to use the restroom inside your rig... Getting out when it is single digits will suck...

And one last thing... If the temps are sub zero or you find that you cannot stay warm inside your rig... Stay in a 4 season tent. Smaller space, better protection from the elements. You can insulate them with snow if you have it. Just a better choice that inside your vehicle...
This is an easily over looked point. I've spent my share of nights "camped" in my truck to avoid hotels while traveling. Many vehicles have semi fixed seat belt buckles, or child seat latches which are super uncomfortable. A good sleeping pad will help level things out. And always be cognizant of your battery. I've seen folks leave the interior lights or radio on and kill and older battery in the cold. That's a rough way to start a day.