Winter Camping

• HTML tutorial

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

What does everyone do to stay warm at night? I am writing this from the Sierras where I'm in my RTT with its extreme weather hood on, wrapped like a burrito in a wool blanket in my sleeping bag with another wool blanket over the top that's nearly frozen solid.

Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
......good training in progress.

And how about a pic for the camp pic thread so we may properly analyze your question.

Reactions: murps

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

We use a buddy heater in our tent. They make a huge difference and are safe for enclosed areas. Even if you don't run it all night, it's great to roll over and light off in the mornings before you roll out of your bag.

http://www.mrheater.com/product/heaters/buddy-series.html
We found that those 1# bottles only last 1/2 the night and I'm not a fan of the safety valve setup on those bottles, so we got the standard propane bottle adapter and hose.

I agree that the little heater is awesome, just becareful though, the heat will melt synthetic fibers. I set ours on a small metal camp table in the tent, but we have room in the canvas big wall tent.

When the kids get older I want to put a wood burning stove in the tent, then we can cook breakfast in the tent if the weather is bad enough.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We found that those 1# bottles only last 1/2 the night and I'm not a fan of the safety valve setup on those bottles, so we got the standard propane bottle adapter and hose.

I agree that the little heater is awesome, just becareful though, the heat will melt synthetic fibers. I set ours on a small metal camp table in the tent, but we have room in the canvas big wall tent.

When the kids get older I want to put a wood burning stove in the tent, then we can cook breakfast in the tent if the weather is bad enough.
Agreed, the adapter kit and a 20lb propane tank is key for an all night run. A tent smoke detector might not be a bad idea too...

Reactions: WUzombies

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Second the Mr Heater, although I've never used one in a tent, I would have to make a good pedestal or rack to trust it in a tent. I use one in my popup all the time and it rips heat like nobody's business. Creates a lot of water when it burns the propane that will condense on the walls of your tent though.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@S.L.O_X Follow that link from @stringtwelve if you haven't already. They have one that's rated for tent use. I haven't tried it in a tent, but had one in the back of a truck like yours when I had a Tundra with a topper.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

This is a well timed thread. We just camped oven Thanksgiving weekend and rented a trailer for the warmth factor. I'm not a big fan of campers, I don't think it's really camping. The wife wants to rent another one for our trip to Yellowstone this spring. Maybe with a buddy heater I can talk her out of it!

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
There's always my wife and a double sleeping bag... :)

I am going to have to look into this buddy heater!