First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
With recent developments in affordable heating options
yeah...i was going to say how nice it is to have a wife/girlfriend for body heat...but when you say "affordable" heating , kinda throws that option out the window.

they say to never ask a woman her age or weight. i agree. what we REALLY need to be asking them is their BTU rating....:grinning:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

yeah...i was going to say how nice it is to have a wife/girlfriend for body heat...but when you say "affordable" heating , kinda throws that option out the window.

they say to never ask a woman her age or weight. i agree. what we REALLY need to be asking them is their BTU rating....:grinning:
8k btu for mine.

• Haha
Reactions: KonzaLander

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Nice thanks for the link gonna put it on a list.
I have some of these and they're far better than any conventional air mattress I've ever used. Like them enough I now have 3. I use an insulated one for winter camping (solo, wife doesn't like the cold). In the back of the Jeep I'll throw down a moving blanket for insulation with this on top and then my mummy bag. Since I'm inside the jeep and have 12V available I bring along a heated blanket, pretty nice to kick it on inside your bag 30 min before going to bed so you can jump into a warm bag. Also you can put your sleeping cloths in there when you turn it on for warm dry cloths for bed. In the summer we use 2 of these in the XL size inside an old comforter cover so they stay together (tent camping not in the Jeep), works great as a couples pad and is bigger than the 2 person Klymit sells. Best part about these is they pack up to about the size of a gatorade bottle. For anyone worried about these being too thin, I'm 6' about 250lbs and as long as I get them blown up firm I've never had an issue touching the ground even when sleeping on my side.

Reactions: YoKramer

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I have some of these and they're far better than any conventional air mattress I've ever used. Like them enough I now have 3. I use an insulated one for winter camping (solo, wife doesn't like the cold). In the back of the Jeep I'll throw down a moving blanket for insulation with this on top and then my mummy bag. Since I'm inside the jeep and have 12V available I bring along a heated blanket, pretty nice to kick it on inside your bag 30 min before going to bed so you can jump into a warm bag. Also you can put your sleeping cloths in there when you turn it on for warm dry cloths for bed. In the summer we use 2 of these in the XL size inside an old comforter cover so they stay together (tent camping not in the Jeep), works great as a couples pad and is bigger than the 2 person Klymit sells. Best part about these is they pack up to about the size of a gatorade bottle. For anyone worried about these being too thin, I'm 6' about 250lbs and as long as I get them blown up firm I've never had an issue touching the ground even when sleeping on my side.
Forgot the link....

As a previous hiker and hammock camper, I can say without a doubt that it is entirely possible to camp in comfort without all these gadgets and heaters. Now, if you want to use them, fine. But I don’t feel they are required, and I’ve camped down into the single digit temps.

You just need to dress appropriately and in layers. As you get active and warm up, you can strip layers off. When you sit down after dinner, put the layers back on. For sleeping, something like long-johns will help, but just make sure your quilts or sleeping bags are rated for the temps. All my stuff is goose down. Yep, it ain’t cheap, but it’s soooo comfy. Synthetic works great too.I sleep with socks and a balaclava. I usually sleep really well when it’s really cold - though I tend to have to get up a few times to water the grass, which I think is an artifact of the slightly higher metabolism keeping me warm.

My point is that I recommend you do some research on what is possible without all the heaters, etc, first - as most people think it’s a requirement. I really look at a heater as a luxury. JMHO

As a side note, I recently purchase a Jackery and I’m gonna try a small (200W) electric heater on my next winter trip. However, I’ll only run it for like 30 minutes prior to waking up, just to heat up the car. If it doesn’t work, no loss. I’ve camped for two winters without one.
I also change into fresh socks right before getting in my bag. Socks hold a ton a moisture and get cold at night so dry socks kept my toes comfy.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Also keep in mind that if you leave that bag in a stuff sack 300 days of the year, you've probably dropped 10-20% of it's rating.
I leave all our down stuffed items (sleeping bags and throws) unfolded throughout the warmer times of the year, and hanging on hangers in a closet so as to keep the loft uncompressed. It takes up valuable room in our small house with limited closets, but well worth doing so to keep that investment in expensive gear going for as long as physically possible

Reactions: Seamoss

AddHawkins

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Addison
Last Name
Hawkins
Member #

Also keep in mind that if you leave that bag in a stuff sack 300 days of the year, you've probably dropped 10-20% of it's rating.
I leave all our down stuffed items (sleeping bags and throws) unfolded throughout the warmer times of the year, and hanging on hangers in a closet so as to keep the loft uncompressed. It takes up valuable room in our small house with limited closets, but well worth doing so to keep that investment in expensive gear going for as long as physically possible
Great tip thanks!

We live winter camping. Easiest and cheapest way to get out in the long winters in Michigan and hit the “slopes” on the weekends.

Seamoss

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Winchester, KY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Service Branch
Army 2002-2008
I spent sometime in an artic unit in the Army and got to go to most of the cold weather courses offered. One valuable acronym to remember is:

C.O.L.D.

C- clean keep (stay clean)
O - overdress don't
L - loose layers
D - dry

Another one you'll often hear in the deep north is "cotton kills"

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I spent sometime in an artic unit in the Army and got to go to most of the cold weather courses offered. One valuable acronym to remember is:

C.O.L.D.

C- clean keep (stay clean)
O - overdress don't
L - loose layers
D - dry

Another one you'll often hear in the deep north is "cotton kills"
That’s great. As I get more into outdoor activities, the more I find my wardrobe is becoming more synthetic. I hardly wear any cotton anymore, except dress shirts at work.

Reactions: lhoffm4

Christopher Hersey

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Roseville, CA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Hersey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6GTB
Winter camping is great; I honestly prefer it to summer. No bugs, no crowds, and I actually enjoy the challenge of keeping warm, which probably sounds weird. I use a folding cot inside my tent with an insulated, self-inflating sleeping pad. I also have two Wiggy‘s bags that work really well in cold temperatures. My last trip a few weeks ago, I was dealing with a condensation issue between the pad and bag that I couldn’t figure out though. I’ll have to sort that out. Maybe the pad isn’t all that insulated after all.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Winter camping is great; I honestly prefer it to summer. No bugs, no crowds, and I actually enjoy the challenge of keeping warm, which probably sounds weird. I use a folding cot inside my tent with an insulated, self-inflating sleeping pad. I also have two Wiggy‘s bags that work really well in cold temperatures. My last trip a few weeks ago, I was dealing with a condensation issue between the pad and bag that I couldn’t figure out though. I’ll have to sort that out. Maybe the pad isn’t all that insulated after all.
I totally agree. I have some down sleeping bags (actually more like blankets) from my backpacking days. If you can keep warm in a hammock without a heater, sleeping on a 4” thick mattress in the car is luxury! I am looking at electric heat, but only to remove any condensation in the morning after I wake up. I sleep sooooo good on cold winter nights.

Reactions: Christopher Hersey

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

Our winter group trips are always the most well attended and it's been like that for many years. I can honestly say 2 decades now thinking back on it. No bugs. Plenty to do. A good dug out group kitchen area and a fire always on with hot water at the ready is a great experience.

And that was way before "recent developments". Snow caves, 4 season tents, down and layers are not new technology. One just has to learn how to use the tools all together in a system.
Learn how to deal with it. More importantly, learn your body's metabolism and manage it. Winter camping is great.