Winter Boots - Vibram Arctic Grip

• HTML tutorial

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I just wanted to throw a little technology and science everyone's way via boot outsoles.. Because, as a group of people who spend a ton of time outside in the elements, it's nice to be prepared.

Now, before I get into it - yeah, you can buy Yaktrax and Microspikes to improve your traction on ice - but the peace of mind to be wearing a boot that you can essentially wear anywhere and it performs just as well as those aforementioned solutions; that's gold, Jerry, gold!

So basically, what Arctic Grip is, is a new feature built into the sole of the boot or show that increases traction on ice exponentially - I mean: Crazy Good. I watched a woman walk up the side of a nearly vertical block of ice with boots featuring this sole and she did so unassisted and with ease, without slipping. SO, I wanted to throw it out there.

https://us.vibram.com/products-menu/grip/arctic-grip/

Now, it's one thing to see someone who has been hired by Virbam perform a walking task she has performs 1000 times up a block of ice - it's another thing to actually test out the product yourself. So, I landed a pair of the Merrell MOab FST Ice + Thermo hiking boots and so far so good. They've performed well on ice, on the trail, etc.

So, I put them here for your consideration.
RV_VAG.jpg

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I picked up a pair of vibram toe shoes for warm weather hiking a couple years ago, and they're the best gripping things I've worn. Makes sense that their winter boots would be up to par. Great timing as I need some cold weather boots!

Reactions: RaggedViking