Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Sturgis, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Block
Member #

So this is my first time wiring up a winch to a vehicle, I ordered a badlands ZXR12K which just comes with a relay and direct battery wire kit. I want to be able to remote kill power with a switch just to be safe... my question is.. how large of a solenoid to run. I'm a bit confused as The max draw is 359A at full 12K load however even the relay that comes with it is only rated to 150A between 3 50A relays. So do I go for 350-400 or stick to a simple 150A? What am I missing? Thanks!

Attachments

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
So this is my first time wiring up a winch to a vehicle, I ordered a badlands ZXR12K which just comes with a relay and direct battery wire kit. I want to be able to remote kill power with a switch just to be safe... my question is.. how large of a solenoid to run. I'm a bit confused as The max draw is 359A at full 12K load however even the relay that comes with it is only rated to 150A between 3 50A relays. So do I go for 350-400 or stick to a simple 150A? What am I missing? Thanks!
The relay isn't powering the solenoid, is it? The solenoid is linking the battery to the winch. The relay is simply switching the solenoid. You can find 500 amp solenoids for about $75. Or get one of the Blue Sea switches like the 9003e with a 350 amp continuous / 600 intermittent rating.

TheTBlock

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Sturgis, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Block
Member #

So according to Badlands directions, you simply wire the 12V positive from the winch to that 50x3(150A) relay, and direct to the battery... but it's stumping me because how could 150A work if the peak for the full winch is over 350A? I'd do a 350 but if that's not recommended I don't want to risk frying anything you know? Here's a pic of the wiring diagram.

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Cables all appear to be 4AWG true cables that came with the kit
So about 100 amps except for very short duration pulls. Have you found relays in multiple sizes? If the price is close it may be an academic argument. Especially since there’s already a circuit breaker in line.

Reactions: TheTBlock

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
So according to Badlands directions, you simply wire the 12V positive from the winch to that 50x3(150A) relay, and direct to the battery... but it's stumping me because how could 150A work if the peak for the full winch is over 350A? I'd do a 350 but if that's not recommended I don't want to risk frying anything you know? Here's a pic of the wiring diagram.
Don’t increase the breaker size, otherwise the cable becomes a fuseable link.

Reactions: TheTBlock