Winch Security

• HTML tutorial

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
How do you keep your winches secure on your bumpers to make sure that it doesn't "walk away" while you are parked somewhere?

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

How do you keep your winches secure on your bumpers to make sure that it doesn't "walk away" while you are parked somewhere?

You’d have to disassemble the front end of my truck to get mine, otherwise I’ve seen security nuts made for this, I think I remember seeing them in quadratec’s cataloging I remember right from my jeep days. A tack weld on one bolt and nut would probably be the cheap easy way if you don’t plan on removing it anytime soon and if you did it’d be easy enough to grind the weld off?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Green cylinder sleeve lock tight would be the next best thing to a tack weld.

Also as Lintnercorey showed don't make it a simple 4 bolts and your winch walks away type install. For example mount lights or additional brush guards over and around the winch. This would be a two fold advantage, it slightly hides the winch and it also puts more fasteners of various sizes between the thief and your winch.

Reactions: khorsa

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Mine is set into the bumper and like @000 said, you'd have to take the whole front end apart to get it out.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Mine hides in my ARB also. Pretty tough to get out. You'd have to undue all the under shielding and some bolts that are really freaking hard to reach from there.

The other aspect of winch security is just the fairlead and hook and winch line. People can mess with your clutch lever and get slack to pull things off. I went with the Zeon Platinum 10-S which is all on remote, so no clutch lever for people to mess with. I also hide the fairlead behind a flip up license plate bracket. Does it count as a "hidden winch" ? ha!

The control box hides pretty well from the front, its flush. But you could mess with the wiring I guess.

My HUGE security concern is my dang Intensity lights. Even with the security bolts and such, those things are worth $676 each!

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
After I built my bumper, winch plate and bolted my winch in I tack welded one of the nuts and bolts. It would take a torch to get it out now.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
It would take hours to get to my winch. I'm more concerned about controlling the power to it. I have the controller mounted under the hood and use a Anderson connector to control power. I've read of environmental terrorist using a trucks winch cable pulled over the top, hooked to the rear bumper and then activated.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

It would take hours to get to my winch. I'm more concerned about controlling the power to it. I have the controller mounted under the hood and use a Anderson connector to control power. I've read of environmental terrorist using a trucks winch cable pulled over the top, hooked to the rear bumper and then activated.
Scalping is going to come back into fashion one of these days, for reasons just like that.

My experience says that people commonly engaged in outdoor activities are far better custodians of the environment, than your average run of the mill "environmentalist"

Take a look around after an environmental protest, or any leftist gathering for that matter. Looks like Haiti after a hurricane.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Never heard of that happening but if thats a worry run the winch power through a relay so it wont work without the truck being started. I did that so mine wont run the battery down accidentaly when sitting unused. Or wire the power to a cutoff switch with a removable key like dragsters use for emergency power cutoff. Id be suprised if a eco terrorst could figure out how to work a winch.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
A good car alarm will go a long way of preventing auto accessory theft away from home. Cross threading one of the bolts with a hammer will give someone fits ! Everything can be stolen given enough time for the thief to get it. I have a good guard dog and a loaded shotgun ready and waiting. I once caught 3 thieves stealing the tires and wheels of my neighbors car. They had placed bricks under the car frame and deflated the tires and pulled them off. They had all 4 tires off as I watched. Then I went outside with my handy six shooter, fired two shot over their head and watched them run for their lives. I had called the police but they had not gotten their yet. As they were running away the police drove up and caught them. BTW the bullets were rat shot but they still make a horrible sound. All my loaded guns have two rounds of shot shell, the rest are lethal bullets.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Environmental terrorist, leftists, etc etc,, c’mon guys, you can do better than that.. this just isn’t the place for spreading wack job opinions or passing along stories that simply did not happen.
Google is your friend, this did happen about three or four years back. There may still be a Youtube vid on line. I agree it's very uncommon.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
All I can say is, wow. You guys must live in some bad neighborhoods.. We once went away for a long weekend and neglected to close the garage door to my Cruzer’s home, shop, etc.. For three days it was wide open and not bothered.. We rarely lock up our house, our vehicles or the carriage house./garage/shop. A lifetime ago some thieves went down the alleys of SoCal with bolt cutters and a van. Cleaned me and many neighbors out. That was a sure signal for me to get the hell out. We moved shortly afterward to where we are now.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

All I can say is, wow. You guys must live in some bad neighborhoods.. We once went away for a long weekend and neglected to close the garage door to my Cruzer’s home, shop, etc.. For three days it was wide open and not bothered.. We rarely lock up our house, our vehicles or the carriage house./garage/shop. A lifetime ago some thieves went down the alleys of SoCal with bolt cutters and a van. Cleaned me and many neighbors out. That was a sure signal for me to get the hell out. We moved shortly afterward to where we are now.
There are shitty people everywhere, admittedly a higher concentration in some places than others.

However tempting fate with complacency is an ill fated venture. Don't confuse fear and prudency , they are not the same thing.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Here in Orygun there have been several cases of Truck yards being burned to the ground, dozens of logging trucks burned, they do a lot of eco damage in the name of saving the eco. Crazy people. You can find treads about winch vandals in the toyo and jeep forums, it's not really a common occurrence but does happen.

Reactions: M Rose

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
There are shitty people everywhere, admittedly a higher concentration in some places than others.

However tempting fate with complacency is an ill fated venture. Don't confuse fear and prudency , they are not the same thing.
I don’t nor have I ever confused fear with being prudent. Unfortunately a lot of people in this country live in downright fear. Fear of neighbors, fear of weather, fear of nature. Hey, fear of everything. I refuse to live in fear. That way of life does not make me complacent, it does however, cause me to live.