Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I would buy another one...I still cant believe it pulled that tractor out...looked it up 16,800 pounds.
That weight, dry, level, but with 3 snatch blocks. Yes believable, but....MUD..... I would not have been anywhere near or even want to be near that cable. a 3/8" WINCH CABLE at the minimum, something in a commercial rating would be even better. That whole set-up was working way below a 1.5-....or...- 1.0 safety factor. On a positive note, that Smittybilt was a real TROOPER!

Reactions: Brewbud and JCWages

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
X-Bull 13000 in a custom made mount.....Big winch in a little Liberty!
Not too obtrusive sticking out, unlike some designs. If you had a HAWSE fairlead and synthetic line, that unit would be very trim and tucked in on the front, when viewed in profile.[emoji7]

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Not too obtrusive sticking out, unlike some designs. If you had a HAWSE fairlead and synthetic line, that unit would be very trim and tucked in on the front, when viewed in profile.[emoji7]

I actually do, that pick was when it was new, then I found out how heavey the line was and replaced it....

Jim

ZR2_Zamboni

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lancaster, OH, USA
Member #

Smittybilt X20 12K competition winch (synthetic line, waterproof, wired/wireless remote) installed on Midwest Overland Industries hidden bumper mount for Colorado ZR2. OEM hook has been replaced with closed Smittybilt AWS recovery point. IMG_4964.JPG

Last edited:

Seth Vernon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Vernon
Member #

I’ve owned warm products and they’re exceptional. This time around I bought a 12,000 lb Badland from Harbor Freight. I’ve disassembled it pre install and I’m surprised at how well it was made and how well it has held up to abuse. I’d buy another one.
IMG_3803.JPG

Attachments

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Looks likenI am the nutcase... I run a Mile-Marker Hi18K hydraulic winch... 90’ of 9/16 cable... hasn’t let me down yet.
Your the first that has piped in on this as a actual user. A real user of this style in the civilian market.

You said it hasn't let you down. Limitations or issues with the P/S activation under load etc., can you give some feedback to us in the peanut gallery.

One other area I would like to hear about, is from our Aussie members who use winches not seen or rare in North America.
Not Warns or Super, or Ramseys, but those like are seen in 4W/Drive action, etc.

Free-Roemer

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ammon, ID, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Roemer
Member #

Looks likenI am the nutcase... I run a Mile-Marker Hi18K hydraulic winch... 90’ of 9/16 cable... hasn’t let me down yet.
I always wanted to get a Mile Marker. But there just wasn’t enough useful feed back to read on before I had to make a choice. Too many people don’t actually know enough about fluid properties to adequately describe benefits and downfalls. I’d be interested to hear more feedback.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Nothing special, just a Smittybilt XRC 9500..
Finally had to use my winch for the first time during Easter Jeep Safari. It was on the Gatekeeper obstacle on the 'Behind the Rocks' trail. I made it up to the last couple feet and just could not get over the last ledge. I probably could have 'bounced' it a bit more to get there, but since I stil had to drive the Jeep over 1,000 miles home, I was playing it somewhat safe. :o

Here I am before making my attempt, getting last ninute advice on my line.. You can see, I already had the winch controller connected and ready. :p57674207_2188877187891356_4500341044272955392_o.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The hydraulic winch under load is a lot slower than an Electric winch, but can pull all day at full load without needing to cool down. There isn’t a need to upgrade your charging system or get a second battery.

I did a few upgrades to my steering system because I wanted to, not because I had to. I adapted a transmission cooler to use as a power steering cooler, added a remote reservoir, and I made my Saginaw Steering Pump into a high flow unit by drilling out the flow orifice to 5/32” and stretching the piston spring to 2 1/4”.

The MM Hydraulic winch fails to a completely closed position which means that the fluid bypasses the winch and only goes from pump to steering gear box to cooler to reservoir.

Right now my winch is on my dead Dodge Ram, but soon will be on my 89 Bronco. I am going to need to worry about some conversion fittings or adapting parts from the Dodge to the Ford, as the Mile Marker winch is designed for use one Saginaw power steering systems.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
The hydraulic winch under load is a lot slower than an Electric winch, but can pull all day at full load without needing to cool down. There isn’t a need to upgrade your charging system or get a second battery.

I did a few upgrades to my steering system because I wanted to, not because I had to. I adapted a transmission cooler to use as a power steering cooler, added a remote reservoir, and I made my Saginaw Steering Pump into a high flow unit by drilling out the flow orifice to 5/32” and stretching the piston spring to 2 1/4”.

The MM Hydraulic winch fails to a completely closed position which means that the fluid bypasses the winch and only goes from pump to steering gear box to cooler to reservoir.

Right now my winch is on my dead Dodge Ram, but soon will be on my 89 Bronco. I am going to need to worry about some conversion fittings or adapting parts from the Dodge to the Ford, as the Mile Marker winch is designed for use one Saginaw power steering systems.
I did not realize that it was a Saginaw system only, or is that because of your initial purchase model? Slow can be good over fast when recovery is concerned. The idea of continuous use with no worries about "overheating" is fantastic in situations where a winch is called on for use 'over and over'

Since vehicles have gotten smaller, PS coolers are pretty rare these days. Also the manufactors move to ELECTRONIC PS has also added to complicated steering issues.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I did not realize that it was a Saginaw system only, or is that because of your initial purchase model? Slow can be good over fast when recovery is concerned. The idea of continuous use with no worries about "overheating" is fantastic in situations where a winch is called on for use 'over and over'

Since vehicles have gotten smaller, PS coolers are pretty rare these days. Also the manufactors move to ELECTRONIC PS has also added to complicated steering issues.
No it’s not a Saginaw system only, the kit I got happened to be a full install kit for a military HMMWV. Mile Marker makes a fitting kit for just about any application, but I think it’s over priced for 4 fittings. I’ve heard of guys getting a local hydraulic shop to make custom hoses for as little as 30 bucks for the pair.

As for the PS Cooler, any Automatic transmission cooler will work. Since it goes in on the return side of the steering gear box, just simple transmission cooler hose and hose clamps can be used. Just cut the return line coming off of the gear box with enough hose left over to reuse the gear box and power steering pump fittings. Place the cooler inline for the splice of the hose you just cut. Pretty easy peasy.

You mentioned also smaller power steering pumps... it’s not the size that matters as long as long as you have the volume (GPMs) needed to push the fluid. There are a lot of articles on how to make a high flow power steering pump with out any money investment. As for volume of fluid on the smaller pumps, adding a reservoir after the cooler but before the pump is the only way to go. I have even seen people make their reservoir a heat sink as well.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m getting ready to pull the winch off of the dodge, when I install it into the Bronco I will write up a complete tech guide with pictures.

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

Warn 16.5 ti up front.
Warn m1200 in the rear.
Probably no piece of equipment I trust more.
20190323_143202.jpg