Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
A winch is moving up the list. Have review the prior post to help narrow the selection. My question is on mounting. Getting a winch and a bumper is not in the doable near future. Looking at a hitch receiver mounting plate approach. This will also the ability "winch" the trouble away from both front and rear. In daily use the winch would be stored off the vehicle.

Any tips, pro & cons, to using a hitch mount I should be considering.

Thanks.

Reactions: 4L_Warrior

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have run a multi-mount winch for 15 years. I like it because your winch is inside and stays clean and will last a lot longer. Make sure your hitch mount is strong and up to the task. Also remember to secure the winch in the vehicle. If you roll or tip over, you don't want it hitting you in the head. I made a receiver with a plate and bolted through the floor inside. It also allows me to use a locking pin for security purposes. If you are going to run it on the rear, which I use more than anything, think about wiring power to the rear with Andersen type connector and one in the front as well. It makes hookup way easier. Like another poster mentioned, you have to make sure bumper/hitch is strong enough to handle lateral loads as well as your winch cradle being strong enough. I made sure my cradle had .5" thick mounting tubing, and I built the bumper myself and I can guarantee it is strong enough on both the front and back.

Last edited:

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
A winch is moving up the list. Have review the prior post to help narrow the selection. My question is on mounting. Getting a winch and a bumper is not in the doable near future. Looking at a hitch receiver mounting plate approach. This will also the ability "winch" the trouble away from both front and rear. In daily use the winch would be stored off the vehicle.

Any tips, pro & cons, to using a hitch mount I should be considering.

Thanks.
You captured the pros. One con is you're limited to straight pulls. Angled pulls can twist the receiver.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The cons are reduce front height and reduced approach angle. Another con is that they are heavy and moving it on and off gets old pretty quick. It will make your rig longer. Thats about all th cons I can think of, oh yeah and its a major eyesore.

How my truck looked in the year or so I used one before getting a bumper. Vs now 20190629_133935.jpg20210102_173935.jpg20200830_071734.jpg

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Another con would be how easy it would be to steal your winch. With a bumper mounted winch it's alot Harder to steal. And if you have a hidden kit it makes it even harder. Lol you ain't free spooling my winch when I walk in a store. Second photo shows how the winch fits inside the bumper.

Attachments

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

In da bumpa for sho! The cons for hitch mounting are too much for me to deal with. Then again, I get stuck a lot and use the winch frequently in winter.

Attachments