Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Here some info about wild camping in the UK.
First of all, in Great Britain is wild camping prohibited.
In Scotland it is allowed.

However, from my own experience, and by the experiences of people from the 80/90 forum (VW Vanagon forum in the UK, pretty big forum) if you be careful and just keep respect for nature and your fellow travellers and inhabitants in mind, you can do wild camping.
We did that in several places in the UK and had no problems.
Please UK members, do write your opinion about this here.

Tom Burnet

Rank VI
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rhyl, Denbighshire, Wales, United Kingdom
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Burnet
Member #

Although prohibited, which is daft, its certainly worth doing. Frowned upon in most areas, but if you go with the intention of sunset/sunrise without leaving a trace of you being there its usually accepted. I do some wild camping up in Snowdonia Ranges, with a tent that blends into its surroundings with the colour and size, a small gas stove and some simple foods with no issue.

Do it, but be cautious to where you are and ensure you leave the land as you found it. My time is Australia, was very similar to this ideology of camp unseen, although I was able to take my truck almost anywhere and sleep in my swag by the side of the truck, awning out and kitchen out properly on a beach.

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

Tom Burnet

Rank VI
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rhyl, Denbighshire, Wales, United Kingdom
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Burnet
Member #

I'm looking forward to heading to Scotland this year for some wild camping on the Northern 500, new roof rack is needed before I can use the roof top tent, or even carry it. A swag won't keep me too warm up there but would be amazing for star gazing.

Reactions: Ken (Bones)

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Ive stopped in laybys. In caravans all my adult life no problems leave no waste or bin every thing , wild camping all depends on were and when if you open some ones gate and enter with a 4x4 you will atract atention , on national trust land long stays are frowned upon but ive stopped and truck camped on many , my guide would be dont light big open fires dont leave litter , there are places to stop over all over the uk and some have royal accent afforded to traveling people ( romanies ) ive never been asked to move on , ive had the police approach ask my intentions and stopped for a cuppa my guide line is KEEP YOUR STAY SHORT LEAVE NO TRACE

Reactions: 76mv

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

The rules are complicated and just as much in Scotland. Wild camping is legal but NOT from a motor vehicle of any type. There is a good write up here

https://wildaboutscotland.com/2014/11/30/wild-camping-in-scotland-camper-vans-and-motorhomes/

However you find lots of people doing it.

I wild camp a lot in the UK my advice don't be afraid to ask locally you will be surprised how many will agree to let you stay on there land of they know you will be responsible

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

There are also some membership sites that offer contact direct to landowners that for a fee allow you wild camp on there land.

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

I think most of it is about basic common sense and being sensible. It is easier to camp on public land than private I have found. As it has been stated here already leave no mess, clean up and remove rubbish. Respect nature and animals and be mindful of others. Keep noise down and don't have a fire in England...Scotland is fine as long as you watch where you are making fires . A lot of the ground in Scotland is peat and burns very easily. So again...common sense that's it and have fun

Mike King

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

Be aware there have been some significant changes in Scotland that came into force on March 1 this year because of the litter and damage being done by a mindless few.

Seasonal camping restrictions and byelaws

Byelaws restrict camping in some areas.

Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park - From 1st March 2017, seasonal byelaws come into effect in Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park which mean that camping in certain areas of the National Park is only permitted within campsites or with a camping permit. Please make sure you plan ahead. For more details go to www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/camping/ .

Reactions: Tim

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

Choosing where to camp is more about common sense...it is best to camp in areas where there is no grazing animals. Farmers don't like that at all...most of the national parks are not to bad as long as you think about what your doing and don't stay to long in one place...there are a lot of small campsites that are very cheap from £5-10 a night they are called (CL's)...usually part of the camping and caravan club or caravan club...I always thought it was a good deal for the price of club membership. If wild camping is all your looking for then just think about where you set up and the time you spend there are the main concerns...there are regulations in both England and Scotland which are easy to find...one is above I think on another link...hope you enjoy

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Quite interesting reading the thoughts from different parts of UK

Indeed there is lots of wild camping locations and we as a group go out fairly often to a few dotted around the place

Quite a number of times there are caravan parks which have a "wild camping area" of which if you simply contact the owners of the caravan park just ask

quite alot of caravan parks don't like having a large number of off road vehicles and roof tents (as a few tend to want vehicles off the grass) - so its always best before booking to actually call them (or if close enough go see them) and explain what it is you are doing, we have always found owners are far more accommodating when you ask in advance than simply turning up "cap in hand" :grinning:

Of course alot of the above is for "South of the border" (i mean below Scotland)
But as people have quite rightly mentioned on here earlier, Scotland has alot more FREEEEEDOMMM (sorry :relaxed: ) when it comes to "true" wild camping

Lots of nice spots around Glencoe if i remember rightly when I last ventured north heading back to my home island

Reactions: Tim

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Wild camping on a caravan park aint wild camping lol the whole idea is to get out of the way
Ive got specs ive been going for years i leave no trace cause no fuss stay a few nites and go , if you want to go mob handed You attract atention , there are some great sites all over the uk that dont advertise who allow fires and 4x4 ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS EXPLORE

Last edited:

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Wild camping on a caravan park aint wild camping lol
For those who aren't as hardy as others

But there are wild camping areas which are managed by caravan parks - generally at the far edges, such as small festival fields / "unmanaged" fields - it is about as wild as you are going to get in the countryside in the UK

Other "True" wild camping areas would require permissions from the land owners such as farmers,
We use a small wooded area fairly regularly which is owned by a friend of ours of which there is a public right of way access path through the wood (almost straight in the middle of where we normally camp)

Bear in mind that "wild camping" has multiple meanings
True outdoor adventure types would say what you said about campsites but those who are city locked, anything with green fields is "wild" outside the urban jungle :wink:

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade

But there are wild camping areas which are managed by caravan parks - generally at the far edges, such as small festival fields / "unmanaged" fields - it is about as wild as you are going to get in the countryside in the UK

Other "True" wild camping areas would require permissions from the land owners such as farmers,
We use a small wooded area fairly regularly which is owned by a friend of ours of which there is a public right of way access path through the wood (almost straight in the middle of where we normally camp)

True outdoor adventure types would say what you said about campsites but those who are city locked, anything with green fields is "wild" outside the urban jungle :wink:
Yeh ok

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade

But there are wild camping areas which are managed by caravan parks - generally at the far edges, such as small festival fields / "unmanaged" fields - it is about as wild as you are going to get in the countryside in the UK. Lol you aint been around much of the uk then my friend

There are many different meanings of wild camping as discussed.

My understanding as ex outdoor instructor is probably slightly different. I am pretty sure you can wild camp under byelaws in the Lake District if you are above the treeline. Dartmoor National Park has a lot of wild camping available in the middle of moor and there are a fair amount of byways as well.

I will share the a link to Dartmoor National Park Wild Camping map. (Sorry first few posts)