JustinSenior

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2/16/2019
When you guys camp deep in the woods or desert have you been approached by wild animals of any kind? I am wondering if I find a good spot to camp how do I keep bears or other animals out of the vehicle with food in it?

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

But folks with fridges in the vehicles can't get around this. This is something I always wondered about.
I've wondered about it to. In most areas it's probably not an issue - not many animals can crack open a vehicle. Yet in an area with bears....well, you might be inviting trouble. The are many accounts out there wherein bears broke into vehicles to get coolers and fridges.

Only advice I'd have is come up with an alternate system in those areas. I read about a guy who hoisted his small fridge up a tree and had a power cable going from it to his rig.

Alaska.hermit

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger II

Wasilla, Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Morriss
Member #

Service Branch
Us Army (retired)
When in bear country, do not keep food in your tent. Do not keep any trash out side. Do not wash your dishes near where you sleep.
If a bear has ever got food from an ice chest, it will go straight for your ice chest, even if it has never been used. Best bet is to keep everything in tight containers inside your vehicle with windows all the way up. Do not bring dirty cookweare into bear country.
You could suspend your food from a tree, but if it isn’t in tight containers the smell will still travel in the wind. And then you have to worry about squirrels and birds.

I have seen black bears destroy tents for empty chip bags, and go through camper windows for dirty dishes. If there is anything that will make them curious, they will try to find it.

If you travel with a dog that will keep their curiosity down some.......unless what ever is attracting them is really strong.

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Montana State fish and wildlife life says locking food in a hard sided car is OK. There's horror stories where people have been in areas where the bears know food is kept in cars and break in but I don't believe that will be the case most of the time.

I'm still unsure I asked this question on here and didn't get much feedback. I will say do not just chain a bear resistant cooler to a tree. You will get ticketed for not properly storing it.