Launch Member

Enthusiast I

El Paso, TX, USA
First Name
Andres
Last Name
Lopez
Member #

Anyone have this product? Wilco Hitch mounted tire carrier. Specifically the Solo High Clearance w/swing gate. I want one but the price is pretty high, before I do, just wanted some insight.

Fishiam

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sardena
Member #

I have one on a 94 land cruiser. It was on the rig when I purchased it. It functions fine. I have it holding a 35" ko2. I wish it had the ability to hold gas or water containers. I might see about welding some trays on that could do that. It has mounts for rotopax but I can't see spending that much on containers. Not yet at least. The pin that locks the swinging arm in place isn't the easiest to put in. I end up wiggling the tire around to get the pin/hole aligned. I watched some reviews and the older models had some issues that have been rectified. They had to beef up some of the parts.

Reactions: OverLandPW88

OverLandPW88

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

El Paso, TX, USA
First Name
Andres
Last Name
Lopez
Member #

I have one on a 94 land cruiser. It was on the rig when I purchased it. It functions fine. I have it holding a 35" ko2. I wish it had the ability to hold gas or water containers. I might see about welding some trays on that could do that. It has mounts for rotopax but I can't see spending that much on containers. Not yet at least. The pin that locks the swinging arm in place isn't the easiest to put in. I end up wiggling the tire around to get the pin/hole aligned. I watched some reviews and the older models had some issues that have been rectified. They had to beef up some of the parts.
Awesome thank you, my rig is an 06 Silverado long bed. And not too big of wheels but enough for what I use it for. Spare just doesn’t fit in original under-bed area so it stays in bed, but then again gets in the way I set up for my weekend routes.

Attachments

Fishiam

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sardena
Member #

I should've mentioned that I like the fact that I can open my cruiser's liftgate without having to swing the tire holder out of the way but I do in order to drop the tailgate.

Reactions: OverLandPW88

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

I have one of their older offset models. I can't speak with any experience to their new Solo's but I'm satisfied with my purchase. I had no idea that the prices have gone up so much. I paid just over $600 for mine back a few years. I wanted to get their jerry can holder that bolts to it similar to where the Rotopax's are on the new model, but they wanted $300+ for it. More than half the price of the whole Hitchgate. I will probably have someone fabricate something to hold jerry cans as well as my recovery treads.

As far as fit and finish goes, they are top notch and the unit does NOT wiggle or make any noise when properly installed.

The ability to remove it from the vehicle is a big plus as well as the ability to still tow.

Some of the cons for me on my older model are:

-No way to lock the swingarm open. If you are on a slanted surface/trail, you will have to figure out a way to keep it open.

-No way to lock the retaining pin or lock the swingarm

-Removing the bolt at the pivot point would allow anyone to be able to take the whole swingarm and whatever is every mounted to the swing arm.

I think they addressed my first con in the newer models but not sure about the others.

Hope this helps.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I've been looking to buy one used. They are WAY too expensive for what it is. Jegs has a good price on them but still a lot of money. From what I've seen the people who have them love them. They def. come up for sale seldom.

Fishiam

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sardena
Member #

I have one of their older offset models. I can't speak with any experience to their new Solo's but I'm satisfied with my purchase. I had no idea that the prices have gone up so much. I paid just over $600 for mine back a few years. I wanted to get their jerry can holder that bolts to it similar to where the Rotopax's are on the new model, but they wanted $300+ for it. More than half the price of the whole Hitchgate. I will probably have someone fabricate something to hold jerry cans as well as my recovery treads.

As far as fit and finish goes, they are top notch and the unit does NOT wiggle or make any noise when properly installed.

The ability to remove it from the vehicle is a big plus as well as the ability to still tow.

Some of the cons for me on my older model are:

-No way to lock the swingarm open. If you are on a slanted surface/trail, you will have to figure out a way to keep it open.

-No way to lock the retaining pin or lock the swingarm

-Removing the bolt at the pivot point would allow anyone to be able to take the whole swingarm and whatever is every mounted to the swing arm.

I think they addressed my first con in the newer models but not sure about the others.

Hope this helps.
I was wondering where did you see the Jerry can holders? I can't seem to find them. Could you please share a link?
Thank you

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Fishiam