Why I'll never buy another Chevy!

• HTML tutorial

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

I think I may get some heat on this video! Lol. So, as an Overlander, I LOVE my Chevy truck! I do! I think it’s a great Overland rig. But it’s the last Chevy I will own (unless something changes). For now on, it’s Toyota or Jeep. Watch what I think about Chevy now and tell me your opinion and if you agree or disagree. If you like the video, done forget to like and subscribe and thanks for supporting my channel!!! -Jay-

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
****Summed up correctly****.....with the possible exception of the ZR2 and upcoming AEV edition in January 2019(apples to oranges comparison)...I know:fearscream: full size vs mid size!

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

I completely forgot to mention the Colorado. I also mistakenly said that the Explorer was full frame as well. Eek, lol. I am super excited about the AEV Bison. So AEV is like 20min from my house. The 9th they are doing an open house and I am going to go and film all day. I actually have a crew to help too! I am super looking forward to it!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Summed up you wish GM had more innovation and a midsize offering... so you are going to be a Jeep and Toyota guy for now until that changes.

Neither of those two vehicle lineups are known for innovation. They do make some great vehicles though.

The Colorado is a midsize. It is worth a look. I am loving mine. With my 8spd auto I am able to drive around like it's a diesel and easily able to beat(crush) the rated 24mpg hwy. With the Auto mode for the 4wd I am able to drive around on dry pavement without binding the drivetrain. Which is a big thing.

The Colorado is the only midsize with a small diesel option. That engine is old/proven and the transmission is used on full sized trucks so it should last. My power train came from the Camaro. So test show a 0-60 of 6.1sec

The upcoming Ranger will have a turbo 4cyl and 10spd auto as the only drivetrain option.

I would like to have a solid front axle as well. In the end IFS is just better for the vast majority of real life. Which is why your 4Runner and so many other vehicles have it as well.

I have had a ton of Chevys and Toyotas as well. Loved them all.

I do wish GM would bring over their SUV equivalent of the Colorado they have overseas. That thing would be a direct competitor of the 4Runner. They made me a little aggravated to say the lease when I saw that the new Blazer is front wheel drive and sports car oriented. What were they thinking?!!!

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

Summed up you wish GM had more innovation and a midsize offering... so you are going to be a Jeep and Toyota guy for now until that changes.

Neither of those two vehicle lineups are known for innovation. They do make some great vehicles though.

The Colorado is a midsize. It is worth a look. I am loving mine. With my 8spd auto I am able to drive around like it's a diesel and easily able to beat(crush) the rated 24mpg hwy. With the Auto mode for the 4wd I am able to drive around on dry pavement without binding the drivetrain. Which is a big thing.

The Colorado is the only midsize with a small diesel option. That engine is old/proven and the transmission is used on full sized trucks so it should last. My power train came from the Camaro. So test show a 0-60 of 6.1sec

The upcoming Ranger will have a turbo 4cyl and 10spd auto as the only drivetrain option.

I would like to have a solid front axle as well. In the end IFS is just better for the vast majority of real life. Which is why your 4Runner and so many other vehicles have it as well.

I have had a ton of Chevys and Toyotas as well. Loved them all.

I do wish GM would bring over their SUV equivalent of the Colorado they have overseas. That thing would be a direct competitor of the 4Runner. They made me a little aggravated to say the lease when I saw that the new Blazer is front wheel drive and sports car oriented. What were they thinking?!!!
Awesome response! Well, I still have my fingers crossed. I've always felt like GM was still a good company. I am just hoping that at some point they will really stop and look at the market. Kinda like Dodge did in the 90s right before they were gonna fall apart. Until then, yep Toyota. Or maybe Jeep! I'm not a huge Jeep guy. Not because they aren't bad ass, but from where I am at, for every 3 vehicles, someone is driving a Jeep. I swear. If you are on the road here, every 30 seconds is a Jeep. And the all look the same! Since I got my TRDPro, I have seen 4 others. It's nice to stay from the pact. Fyi, the Jeep factory is 25min from my house. Huge factor. But, these may be my last 4x4s anyways. I dont plan on getting rid of either so my next ride may be a Tesla. Eeek, lol. I plan on moving to arizonia. Perfect weather for a car rather than my 3rd 4x4.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Awesome response! Well, I still have my fingers crossed. I've always felt like GM was still a good company. I am just hoping that at some point they will really stop and look at the market. Kinda like Dodge did in the 90s right before they were gonna fall apart. Until then, yep Toyota. Or maybe Jeep! I'm not a huge Jeep guy. Not because they aren't bad ass, but from where I am at, for every 3 vehicles, someone is driving a Jeep. I swear. If you are on the road here, every 30 seconds is a Jeep. And the all look the same! Since I got my TRDPro, I have seen 4 others. It's nice to stay from the pact. Fyi, the Jeep factory is 25min from my house. Huge factor. But, these may be my last 4x4s anyways. I dont plan on getting rid of either so my next ride may be a Tesla. Eeek, lol. I plan on moving to arizonia. Perfect weather for a car rather than my 3rd 4x4.
Nice. That sounds like there is a good reason there is such a Jeep following where you live. lol

If I were on the market for a new 4x4 SUV I would have went with the 4Runner for sure. Those things are the perfect size. Capable, reliable, and comfortable.

My wife really wants one some day. I will likely get her one in another 5 years or so when she has at least 200k miles on her Ford Escape.

My first vehicle was a 88' 4Runner. Loved that thing. It was my all time favorite vehicle up until I got this new Colorado. That thing was slow, unreliable(due to my poor maint practices combined with high mileage), and hard to work on. Man oh man I loved that thing though. It was the perfect size and super capable for general off-road. I spent many nights sleeping in the back... after a night bonfire party deep in the woods in the North Georgia Mtns.

I have been reading up on the internals of my V6. Forged crankshaft (instead of cast) with wider journals, oil sprayers for the piston jugs (like a diesel engine), Ceramic coated hypereutectic pistons for low friction and uber tight tolerances. Even has the gear driven oil pump located in the oil pan instead of on the front timing chain cover... so you no longer (I hope... still have to read up on it) have to drop the oil pan to do a timing chain. Which is a beast job on any 4wd vehicle. AKA you just need to go ahead and pull the motor usually.

I keep finding little tid bits of detail the longer I own my truck. I really like it.

Reactions: Jason Baker

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

Oh wow, that is impressive! I do love my 4Runner. I have my gripes like anyone. Its a super basic vehicle. for 44k you get a solid, nice vehicle that is comfortable, reliable, and well put together. But you aint gettin no features! lol. Leather, heated seats, rear back-up cam, and thats about it!

hamiltonj2w1

Rank 0

Traveler I

4runner.jpg I was a Toyota guy for many many years and loved every one of them then I got back into cars all imports from VW GTI to my Mitsubishi Evo then to a heavily modified WRX and I always said I would never buy another domestic ever.

So when the time came to trade in my subie I wanted another 4x4 to go play in the woods so went and looked at a TRD Pro Tacoma absolutely beautiful truck but it came at a price along with poor gas mileage and towing capacity. So I ended up with a diesel GMC Canyon and don't regret it one bit I get 33MPG on the highway 22 MPG pulling my camper which weights about 3500lbs and this truck is capable of towing 7700lbs which is awfully impressive and it has a factory rear locker. I really wanted the ZR2 but where I live they are hard to find especially in diesel.

Not going to lie I think the Tacoma and 4runner out perform nearly every domestic when it comes to offroad ability. I do find myself getting truck envy every now again when I see a "decked out" Tacoma but then I look at my MPG's. With Ford bringing the Ranger back and in diesel and in a Raptor version my hopes are Toyota will jump on that bandwagon as well and the US a Diesel Tacoma and 4Runner fingers crossed. Here is a pic of my last 4runner back in 2010 just to whore my pictures out lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason Baker

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

Oh man is that sexy!!!I couldnt let that one go! it would break my hear! lol. that is pretty good gas mileage too! My 2011 gets a whooping 14, lmao. But, of course it is hauling a TON. I think I figured it out one day. Just in fluids:

Gas 24 gallons
Water: 27
Jerry Cans 10 gallons

Thats 488lbs in fluids alone! So yeah, I dont complain about 14mpg, lol

Reactions: hamiltonj2w1

hamiltonj2w1

Rank 0

Traveler I

Oh man is that sexy!!!I couldnt let that one go! it would break my hear! lol. that is pretty good gas mileage too! My 2011 gets a whooping 14, lmao. But, of course it is hauling a TON. I think I figured it out one day. Just in fluids:

Gas 24 gallons
Water: 27
Jerry Cans 10 gallons

Thats 488lbs in fluids alone! So yeah, I dont complain about 14mpg, lol
I do agree though Chevy needs to step it up in the fullsize truck department back when I was in High School the late 90's Z71 was the Truck to have. There is a guy who runs 589FAB he does a lot of stuff for the Colorado and Canyon he just stuffed a 5.3 into a ZR2 Colorado which is pretty awesome. Chevy did nail it with those LS motors for sure.

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

I do agree though Chevy needs to step it up in the fullsize truck department back when I was in High School the late 90's Z71 was the Truck to have. There is a guy who runs 589FAB he does a lot of stuff for the Colorado and Canyon he just stuffed a 5.3 into a ZR2 Colorado which is pretty awesome. Chevy did nail it with those LS motors for sure.
Totally agree! I wouldnt switch on a LS motor as all! I love it!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
There is definitely a reason everyone throws LS motors into their vehicles. Saw a few good YouTube vids on the reasons why... which are many.