WHY did you choose YOUR rig?!

• HTML tutorial

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

Over the past 30+ years we've had a wide variety of SUVs and trucks, every make and model. In '07 we bought our first "foreign" vehicle, a brand new Toyota FJ Cruiser. We were, and still are, impressed on how well engineered and put together Toyotas are! Ten years later we were in the market for another vehicle that was to be our new overland build as well as a daily driver. We of course chose another Toyota. This time we got in a 4Runner TRD OffRoad since the FJ was discontinued. The 4R is perfect in size for what we need. Small enough to fit down any trail but large enough inside to fit us and weeks' worth of camping gear comfortably. We chose the OffRoad package because it has the locker and manual tranfer-case shifter. The Pro package comes with a nice "off road" suspension but we knew we were going to completely replace the suspension with much nicer aftermarket parts so there was no need to buy this more expensive model.
As soon as we got it home we started contacting parts suppliers and builders and got "stuff" on order. Two years later we have a rig that's totally armored up and trail ready, yet is incredibly comfortable driving 75+ down the interstate. Our build on it, as well as the FJ, is one of the main focal points of our YouTube channel.

insta_Oops.JPGinsta_pic.jpginsta_canyonlands2.jpginsta_canyonlands copy.jpg

Reactions: 9Mike2

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Elsinore, Utah, United States
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

I chose my 3rd gen 4Runner while I was single finishing college. I wanted a capable stock 4x4 that was small enough to squeeze on smaller trails, but big enough to carry gear. I needed to tow a small trailer from time-to-time and planned to get married and have a family in the future, so it had to have 4 doors. I also had to pay for it on a student budget and needed to be reliable enough to be a daily driver.

10 years and 100,000 miles later it has been everything I wanted and more.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

It's a Lexus LX, what else would I choose? Best and most reliable 4x4 made IMO.

• Haha

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I wanted to have a rig that could also be a daily driver. I wanted it to be dependable, have good, easy off road-ability, be able to tow a fishing skiff, but also mostly fit in while parked in the executive parking lot. I wanted to take it adventuring on the weekend & then be able to take clients to lunch or meetings during the week.
All of my experience w/ vehicles have been w/ GM trucks/SUVs & Subaru’s. The Chevy trucks lacked the dependability I needed & the models I liked were priced higher than I was willing to commit to. So I landed on a 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring.

I could lift it, armor it, & take it off road w/ confidence:
IMG_0699.JPG

It has no problem pulling my boat to & from the lakes/inshore fishing beaches:
IMG_0707.JPG

Then when I need to put on my professional pants, I can store the rack off the top & it can blend in as long as you don’t look too carefully:
IMG_0553.JPG

And the interior is full of top notch leather & tech features:
IMG_0704.JPG

Ticks all the boxes I wanted - plus it’s fun to have a rig that can do the unexpected.

Contributor II

Ladysmith BC
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Pritchett
getting very tired of the DD minivan, I like the versatility, hate its a minivan, and want a challenger as a DD 'toy'

so need something with atleast the cargo capacity that mainly use the minivan for .. and the people moving capability. our family unit had also talked about being able to get out more, do some camping/exploring. so a 4x4 SUV ... and while my family aren't glampers the wifey and kiddo clearly stated a bathroom/toilet would be required (bucket don't count). so for a non campsite trip a trailer would be needed too, so some form of trailer towing ability would be needed too.

it also had to be something that even lightly modified my wifey and kid wouldn't need much more then maybe a hop to get into it. And something the wife could drive at any time if needed as she's in the process of finally getting her license

after looking through options that I could potentially afford and what transfer case options, and aftermarket options... fell on the cherokee .. potentially a grand for similar capabilities but more coushy.

This particular truck just happened to be at a shop I started at, I looked it over and the things I cared about were good/solid ... and all the things it needed were pretty much what i'd expect from any used cherokee (like a drivers seat, all the front joints)

we struck a deal, using the shop to fix/rebuild it ... and here we sit now... waiting for free time to bring it in and start rebuilding bits :D

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
My son inherited the Envoy when he got his driver's license. So, when deciding to get my next vehicle, I needed something that could multi-task very well. I needed, in the following priority: 1) a daily driver for my 40 mile interstate commute. 2) enough room for the family without being too big. 3) something I could haul rocks, dirt, lumber, livestock, feed, hay, tools, etc., as well as groceries. 4) the ability to tow at least 6000lbs. 5) 4 wheel drive and a rear locker. 6) an overlanding rig. This criteria eliminated every Jeep and full-size truck/SUV. Of course, I first looked at the Tacoma's, then Frontiers. But, for what I needed, they were either too expensive new or too beaten up used. The 2nd Gen Colorado/Canyon was good, but still expensive with the off-road options and too new a model to have any nice used ones. I happened upon this recently traded 2012 (last of the 1st Gen) Colorado with less than 14k miles. It looked brand new and the price was right. It met all the needs and I like the old, squared off look better than the new, rounded one. It was kind of a no brainier for me. It may not be the most popular choice, or have the most aftermarket gear available, but I like being just that little bit different than the crowd.

IMAG1346.jpg
IMAG1409.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: reaver