• HTML tutorial

ZR2_Zamboni

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lancaster, OH, USA
Member #

e-lockers are a factory option ?
I'll have to look cuz a 2 ddor is just the right size for me.

So I just went to Chev to check out the Colorado and trying decide on rear ratios I googled to see the 8speed ratios. WOW first thing up was "problems with the 8speed" I think I'll wait a few years and miss the experiment.
There was an issue with 8-speed transmission shutter which can be fixed by flush and replacement of transmission fluid. There was a service bulletin for that issue. Mine never had that problem.

And YES - front and rear e-Locker standard in the ZR2!!

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

I bought my 2004 Tacoma Prerunner in 2016 when I moved back to the U.S. from a three year tour in Japan. I had always loved the 1st gen Tacoma's and had been a Toyota fan as long as I could remember. My high school daily was an 86 Pickup and I loved it, still wish I had it cause it was dependable and easy to work on. When I bought this 04, I didn't have overlanding in mind which is why I went with the 2wd... that and no 4wd's were available and I needed transportation ASAP. Now that the off road travel and exploring bug has bit, I want to convert her to a 4wd when I retire, I've already researched all the parts and modifications I will need and considering how much I paid for the truck its actually cheaper to convert than to sell and buy a 4wd. I can do all the install/mod work myself so that will save a good bit in labor. For now it is bone stock, I plan to install a leveling kit using adjustable shocks up front for some minor lift, as of now the end goal would be about a 2.5 inch overall lift.

So with this 2wd my overlanding isn't much at the moment, I stick to basic trails and just have fun taking my kids on drives out in the woods. My work has now slowed enough to where I'll be able to get out a few times later this summer/fall and take my kids camping a few times and enjoy the outdoors more. I grew up traveling and camping all across the U.S. with my parents which created great memories, it gave me the love of the outdoors and nature. Being military, its hard to find time to get out of the local area and just head out on a random trip like I did as a kid but now that my kids are getting a little older and wanting to get out and explore with me, I'll have to start setting some leave time aside and see where we can travel that a 2wd can easily access. There are a lot of state parks here in N.C. and all around the southeast, I've already planned a few areas to hit up later this year if all goes as planned. I look forward to getting out in the wild with my family and creating new memories that will last a lifetime.IMG_0529.jpg

Reactions: 9Mike2

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

IMG_20190519_112801703.jpg
I wanted this body style since the movie Twister. I also wanted it older for simple fix out in the woods. Only wanted extended cab, no 4 door, no passengers, just fishing gear in the back seat. I have now learned that a four door would make it easier to get my cooler out the back seat. I pull a boat and travel trailer that hurt the 5.0 I had.20190125_171022_HDR.jpg
It does use a little gas so I carry extra. Tucked behind that tire is my camping shovel and rake20190203_073310_HDR.jpg
The truck bed makes for great sleeping. Running an 80's carpet bed kit with side compartments and drawers under the bed. Running power to the back for electronics. I found my Dodge fits everything I need. I'm always running around INTHEWOODS in the central valley so keep an eye out, I might be in the next campsite.

BigRedDog

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Cam
Last Name
Clifford
Member #

2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Ultimately decided on this vehicle due to several main criteria:

1. This vehicle needs to be a comfortable daily driver - which means comfort in my two hours of commuting each day, and ease of parking in a tight parking garage downtown.
2. Reasonable gas mileage (currently averaging over 22mpg in combined, stop and go driving)
3. Moderate off-road capability (don't plan on rock crawling)
4. Good value (waited until the refreshed 2019 versions were announced, and then pounced on a sitting '18 model for roughly 23% off MSRP)
5. Safety (wife wanted to feel safe in a modern vehicle...a priority for our expanding family)
6. Towing capacity - at 4,500lbs the towing capacity of my 3.2L KL matches most mid-size/full-size SUVs and is plenty to tow a small future rv trailer

Was it my first choice? Nope, I really longed for a 5th gen 4runner (loved my old 2000 4runner). But, it seemed to be a practical choice...and it's been great so far.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Welcome to another Cherokee to the family!
Funny , I thought that the 2018 had the headlights up next to the eyebrows, even tho the Chevy/Ford people said that was ugly. Chevy's new Blazer is a copy of the Cherokee even down to the headlights are down low.....

Reactions: John Smith

BigRedDog

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Cam
Last Name
Clifford
Member #

Funny , I thought that the 2018 had the headlights up next to the eyebrows, even tho the Chevy/Ford people said that was ugly. Chevy's new Blazer is a copy of the Cherokee even down to the headlights are down low.....
Thanks! It's funny, I remember hating the Cherokee design when it was first launched in 2014, but it definitely grew on me. When they announced the 2019 model to have the more traditional headlights, I actually preferred the split design of the 2014 - 2018 models...one of the reasons I ended up getting an '18 instead of a '19.

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

I still say.......Chevy designers, when designing the front end of the 2019 Silverado, called up Dodge designer and said "Come on over and F ours up too!"

• Haha

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

9344C45D-1EFB-4601-85FF-B95ABDE5620C.jpeg

Well we chose the montrica negra for a couple of reasons.. capability, reliability, agility and most of all its sexiness. For the past year we have invested a lot of time and sweat to get her where she is at. A weekend warrior/fisherman dream.

Anthroman

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Diego
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Carrel
Member #

I've always loved 4runners. So when my wife and I decided we wanted to do more camping and exploring the outdoors in even more remote areas I started doing some research. I didn't want a pickup as this would be a daily driver and "adventure rig" and having owned non 4x4 suv's in the past I knew that this was a style I wanted to stick to. I also knew that 4wheal drive was mandatory. Having done research on the top SUV's with 4x4 capabilities I kept coming back to the 4runner. We have Tacoma's and Tundras for work trucks that have over 200k on them with no issues so I knew the 4runner would be the same. I wanted reliable, sturdy and excellent out of the box off road capability. In the end we chose a brand new 2018 TRD ORP. Over the last year it has not failed to impress us over and over again. From trips to the Sequoias (pictured above), Anza Borrego, Monache Meadows, all over SoCal and N. Arizona the basic stock vehicle has been amazing. I haven't started doing modifications because I just haven't found I needed to yet. Having said that, I would like some sliders as I did get a small 'trail bite' in the step rails from a rock. Other than that, this truck is still my dream truck and I love driving it every day.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Why?
TJs have a 4.0L engine, plenty of trailer towing power. Plenty of straight six tractor torque.
The doors come off. It is ultra simple, you can fix anything without disassembling the body or pulling the engine.
It is an agile, capable, bulletproof 4x4. It is plenty big for me, my wife & dog with a squaredrop trailer.
The doors come off. Roof too.

DSC_0073.jpeg

Ruben Z

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Zamora
We actually have both a 4Runner and our main Overland rig is a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL. I chose the JL because of our family ranch I needed something with 4x4 and can fit wife and kids and its honestly probably one of the better overhand rigs out of the box. No real modding needed to get going. I also have a semi long commute to work and the new JL with 8spd has awesome Gas Mileage. I do miss having a truck at times but I may just pick up a used cheaper truck later down the road to have a truck. Here she is: You can see my Build Blog here: My Jeep Wrangler Project -

IMG_1101.jpeg

RamblingRanger

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Virginia
First Name
David
Last Name
T
Member #

I chose a 2005 Ford Ranger because it was sitting in my driveway doing nothing. I’ve had it since 2007. I used it as a commuter for 2 years then my son drove it for six years for baseball and college, then it went to my daughter for a couple years. I wasn’t sure what to do with it. Then I came across the Overland Bound videos on YouTube. Next thing you know it gets a mild lift,new tires, and a camper shell. Went on my first trip a few weeks ago and have one scheduled for July. Trying to do a trip a month until winter. More mods on the way. What a great hobby. IMG_0486.JPGIMG_0485.JPG

Reactions: Billiebob and J.W.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

tacoma 2.jpg
I wanted something I could sleep in without being crunched up. Long bed was required. I haven't heard anything bad about Toyotas. I would have preferred an Off Road package but When This 2010 TRD Sport came up for sale with a lift kit, ARE MX cap. New tires and a new frame I had to check it out. 109,000 its just broken in. The seller sold me a full set of Bud Built armor the bull bar and wet okole seat covers for an extra $700 I jumped at it. I've been building it since I got it in March. First trip scheduled for July 4th weekend in NC with my son (26).

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Wife's a bit freaked out
yeah, go slow, reverse works awesome. You made a great pick. Keepit stock. Toyota builds a great product. Spend you money on actual camping gear, creature comforts, MAPS !!! and go explore. Every mod you make increases stress somewhere else needing another mod which further destroy the all the research and development dollars Toyota spent making a great truck. The aftermarket industry is the biggest scam going.

Best mod for you...... a bull bar mounted camera with a screen in front of your wife..... and a husband whio listens.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I installed a camera on the licence plate bracket. . Husband who listens? I need a wife who can read a map. LOL

The promised to send a free monitor after purchase with a coupon. When I asked for it they wanted a good review before they would send it. How can I give them a review without a monitor? Scam.

Right know the only mods to the truck I'm looking at is a locker for the rear Eaton 913A541 - Detroit TrueTrac - Toyota 8.4'' T100 and Tacoma 30 Spline - Free Shipping! and rock sliders Sliders . It has the stainless steel TRD exhaust but it's too loud. I don't see why I would want a loud vehicle. I haven't even thought about changing the muffler. For now I will wait until it needs replacing before I quiet it down.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

When lockers are an option vs mod... ,options increase capability without compromizing engineering. Mods lead to weakening the stock components. You can do that fot a bit, but eventually you create a perfect storm to break shit. Understand when lockers/mods are pushed, all locked up, you are creating stress the engineers never anttiipated....

A Rubicon comes with D44s front and rear because lockers mean ALL the torque might go to one tire. If you lock up both difs on anything else........ you are stepping beyond what the engineers intended. The Jeep Rubi is the only domestic 4x4 I know with equal front and rear difs.

But I'd install lockers before a winch. Lockers can save yer ass without breaking a thing if you remember ALL mods stress what was engineered. Lockers are the BEST, first mod. Lookong at where you are, lock up, backup. IF you lock up, go forward.... eventually you will break something and be fucked. But, lock up, back up. Done.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

You are in the worst 4x4 senario. Diagonally compromised, the transfer case is locked front to rear, but the front/rear difs are open. Front right. left rear tires have zero traction and spin. LOCK them and you can IDLE off the "high center" condition IN REVERSE. There is no better first mod than lockers.

There is little reason to "ugrade" anything else. Add a winch, skid plates, maybe go up a tire size if ego demands....... but taller tires stress everything including the clutch. IF you find your wheeling NEEDS bigger tires ya just do it. But when you get stuck like you were here and some old fart with 40 years of wheeling says........ get lockers, don't do a lift, don't regear, don't buy bigger tires........... Just DON'T do ir !! Go beyond peer presure and ego. Listen to the right seat,.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoelIII

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I wasn't stuck. just checking articulation. I did backup. it just went like all 4 wheels were on the ground. Every thing else I'm doing is for camping. Since that picture I have lights and roof rack for holding gear. Planning on taking the TAT to Oregon in the spring. Until then regular off road camping trips.

i