Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

Well after more then 30 years of wanting a Jeep wrangler Last Spring i finally put a order in for a 2018 jeep JLU Rubicon. My plan was to take a few months and mod it and get it ready for a cross Canada overland trip. Well as life happens. It took longer then i thought to get my Jeep. It did not arrive until mid July so i was a little late to get started. then after 4 months of getting it ready. I woke up one November morning and had a stroke. I ended up in hospital for 2 weeks. I was in a coma for 10 days and was having seizures. So after that i was in no shape for any grand overland trip that i have been dreaming about for over 30 years and the doctors took my driver licence away for 6 months.
That’s an incredible story. It’s strange how you can plan so much and everything can change in a few seconds. It’s good to see you persevered and got your plans back on track! Good luck with a great looking rig.

Reactions: 9Mike2

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Well after more then 30 years of wanting a Jeep wrangler Last Spring i finally put a order in for a 2018 jeep JLU Rubicon. My plan was to take a few months and mod it and get it ready for a cross Canada overland trip. Well as life happens. It took longer then i thought to get my Jeep. It did not arrive until mid July so i was a little late to get started. then after 4 months of getting it ready. I woke up one November morning and had a stroke. I ended up in hospital for 2 weeks. I was in a coma for 10 days and was having seizures. So after that i was in no shape for any grand overland trip that i have been dreaming about for over 30 years and the doctors took my driver licence away for 6 months. Wow life sucks sometimes.

Well now it is spring i have been working hard at getting better I am doing well. I got my drivers licence back. And the Jeep is ready. I have had to adjust some plans as my family is concerned about me traveling alone with my dog. I also got a small pop up trailer as camping on the ground is not for me anymore. I need a little comfort when i travel. So i am 2 weeks away from my first trip. Just a small one to try out my old body and see what i can handle.
Here are some pics of my set up.View attachment 100294View attachment 100295View attachment 100296View attachment 100297
I can really relate to your story on the health issue. Loved my job as an I&R Technician with CenturyLink. Just had bought a 60Th. Anniversary Jeep TJ. And was starting to build it up, it did already have a lift and good MT tires. Next thing I know, I had Guillian- Barr’e - Syndrome, and was told there was a good chance of never being able to walk again little lone get out of bed! 2months later, you should of seen the looks, on the faces of my physical therapist and the staff as I crawled out of my Jeep for the first appointment! I could not really walk but I still made it. They all could not believe when I crawled back into my Jeep also. I lost that Jeep due to medical bills, but ended up buying a 98’ XJ and have not stopped walking and off-roading since. Even now after a heart attack! I still have a 95’ Jeep Cherokee Sport, 99’ Toyota 4Runner, 99’ Dodge Cummings 2500 pickup. I know God saved my life! But one joy I still have and can still do even with my health issues is Overlanding and enjoying the great country we live! God bless America! Vance.
BB0D643D-FB4E-457F-BC03-9490EB241378.jpeg544F1877-8377-48B0-B0C7-805B418D3239.jpegA08DD6D6-2682-492C-9D6F-7FAF23F9AF49.jpeg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Well after more then 30 years of wanting a Jeep wrangler Last Spring i finally put a order in for a 2018 jeep JLU Rubicon. My plan was to take a few months and mod it and get it ready for a cross Canada overland trip. Well as life happens. It took longer then i thought to get my Jeep. It did not arrive until mid July so i was a little late to get started. then after 4 months of getting it ready. I woke up one November morning and had a stroke. I ended up in hospital for 2 weeks. I was in a coma for 10 days and was having seizures. So after that i was in no shape for any grand overland trip that i have been dreaming about for over 30 years and the doctors took my driver licence away for 6 months. Wow life sucks sometimes.

Well now it is spring i have been working hard at getting better I am doing well. I got my drivers licence back. And the Jeep is ready. I have had to adjust some plans as my family is concerned about me traveling alone with my dog. I also got a small pop up trailer as camping on the ground is not for me anymore. I need a little comfort when i travel. So i am 2 weeks away from my first trip. Just a small one to try out my old body and see what i can handle.
Here are some pics of my set up.View attachment 100294View attachment 100295View attachment 100296View attachment 100297
I"m kinda similar, heart attack 10 years ago and had to make some adjustments in my lifestyle. My big one was dropping anything stressful and ignoring whatever I had no control over. It is amazing what meds can do. And Canada has some of the medical advice for heart & stroke victims. Work out the meds which work for you, get rid of the stress.... Like just go camping with the dog when the urge comes along.... and enjoy life at a relaxed pace. I have my own small business and my work day is about 5 hours long. 3 or 4 days a week. Plus all the prep and planning but I never work on a job site more than 5 hours.... at an easy pace.

For me the heart attack was likely a blessing, it was pretty mild, cured by 2 stints.... and meds for life. But it was a wake up call to enjoy life and ignore the rest.

Nice rig, I'm a Jeep fan, owner since 1972. And my teardrop has a full size mattress.
I too figure I've earned a comfortable, dry nights sleep.

DSC_0062.jpeg

Last edited:

Willys_2014

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

AZ, USA
First Name
G
Last Name
B
Member #

I had a 1st Gen 4wd TRD Tundra for 14 years. It was perfect ... but the frame was rusting.

It was time for something else. My criteria was basically 4wd, and frame on body.

I looked at the the 2nd Gen Tundras, but was far more truck than I wanted.

I had soft spot for the FJ until I actually drove one. I didn't like the outward visibility.

So, I was basically faced with the choice of a Tacoma, 4Runner, and a Jeep Wrangler.

The Jeep impressed most on the test drive.

DSCN1000~2.JPG

Oh and the 1st Gen Tundra ... Sold it within 4 hours of listing it on CL.

I told the buyer about the frame rust, and cautioned about the age of the A340 transmission. He shrugged and said he could fix the frame and planned to dedicate the truck as an off-roader.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Lewis86

Rank III

Enthusiast II

North Augusta, SC, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2018 TACOMA TRD OR. THIS IS MY FIRST NEW TRUCK, ALSO FIRST 4X4. I WANTED SOMETHING I COULD TAKE OFF ROAD AND GO CAMPING WHERE EVER I COULD DRIVE TO. IT WILL BE A SLOW BUILD BUT I WILL MAKE IT MY OWN. I HAVE BEEN IN THE AUTOMOTIVE BUSINESS FOR YEARS AND I KNEW HOW RELIABLE AND LOW MAINTENANCE TOYOTAS WERE. TACOMAS HAVE GOOD RESALE VALUE. IT ALSO HELPS THAT THERE ARE MANY BUILD OPTIONS FOR TACOMAS. I ENDED UP WITH A BED RACK AND RTT THAT CAME WITH THE TRUCK WHEN I BOUGHT IT. I LOVE MY TRUCK SO FAR AND CAN'T WAIT TO START TAKING TRIPS.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I researched and test-drove just about everything for about eight months before deciding on my Cherokee.

I wanted the dependability of a 4 Runner
I wanted the interior comfort of a Range Rover
I wanted the off-road capability of a Wrangler
I wanted the hauling capacity of an F150
I wanted the safety features of the XC90
And I wanted the gas mileage of a Prius
Oh, and I wanted all of this for the price of 1995 VW Rabbit. No problem, right? :tearsofjoy:

After weighing my wants vs my needs and being very honest about how I travel, I knew that I needed something better on the interstate than the H3 that I had just sold. I need some external storage (roof rack) for fly fishing equipment and a modest amount of camping gear. Since it’s just me and my wife, a small, two-person tent is all we ever set up.

Price was the final hurdle. I have some other toys in the garage that I’m not quite ready to let go of, so this Jeep fit the wallet better than some of my other options. No regrets so far, we’ll see how the build goes over time.

7F93046E-BB6A-4D84-A39B-05D006D025D2.jpeg

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
After weighing my wants vs my needs and being very honest about how I travel, I knew that I needed something better on the interstate than the H3 that I had just sold. I need some external storage (roof rack) for fly fishing equipment and a modest amount of camping gear. Since it’s just me and my wife, a small, two-person tent is all we ever set up.

Price was the final hurdle. I have some other toys in the garage that I’m not quite ready to let go of, so this Jeep fit the wallet better than some of my other options. No regrets so far, we’ll see how the build goes over time.
My choice was made in very similar way. I know i'll be on the freeway more than not, and i rarely have more than my wife and kid with me. So the size of the Cherokee was about right for what i wanted and capability should be on par for any camping/fishing trips. I've only had my Cherokee for about 4 months and so i am happy with it.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

I researched and test-drove just about everything for about eight months before deciding on my Cherokee.

I wanted the dependability of a 4 Runner
I wanted the interior comfort of a Range Rover
I wanted the off-road capability of a Wrangler
I wanted the hauling capacity of an F150
I wanted the safety features of the XC90
And I wanted the gas mileage of a Prius
Oh, and I wanted all of this for the price of 1995 VW Rabbit. No problem, right? :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 100676
That's why we got one for my Wife...20170205_144306.jpg

Reactions: max.grun

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I love the reasons everybody has for there rig. I have been surfing, fishing and Kayaking in Baja for lots of years. I started going with a car and racks. We moved to little trucks, mitsubishi, toyota, datsun. We got tired of living small and started to improve the camping conditions. I purchased a 1500 dodge in 99 extended cab with a 8 ft bed. I was just perfect, carried all the stuff and I could see out the back window. Up grated the tires, winch, shell with rack, shocks and airbags.

The 99 was totaled in 2015 while providing hospice for my wife. I wanted a 3/4 ton, extended cap, gas powered, 4X4, 8ft bed. I finally found a 2012 ram 2500 4 door, 4X4 with a 8 ft bed. I added a shell, roof rack, ft bumper with winch, progressive springs, and fox all around. I call her Ballena Blanca. She to is a driveway queen too. I take 6 to 8, 10 day trips per year. I am thinking about driving south and playing on the Pan American with her.

Last edited:

ZR2_Zamboni

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lancaster, OH, USA
Member #

I use my daily driver as my Overland vehicle. I needed something that will get me to work, comfortably, in all weather. I also needed a utility vehicle for the maintenance of my home and property, which means a truck. I also wanted a vehicle that was capable at off roading without destroying the handling of the vehicle (as stock as possible). So what did I buy? 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 off road truck. It’s lifted, front & rear e-lockers. Upgraded premium suspension (Multimatic DSSV). ALL stock, ALL under warranty!

58057572621__4311FE6C-790A-4A6B-BF97-801A3199BFEC.JPGIMG_5473.JPGIMG_2651.JPGIMG_2455.JPG

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I use my daily driver as my Overland vehicle. I needed something that will get me to work, comfortably, in all weather. I also needed a utility vehicle for the maintenance of my home and property, which means a truck. I also wanted a vehicle that was capable at off roading without destroying the handling of the vehicle (as stock as possible). So what did I buy? 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 off road truck. It’s lifted, front & rear e-lockers. Upgraded premium suspension (Multimatic DSSV). ALL stock, ALL under warranty!

View attachment 101089View attachment 101090View attachment 101091View attachment 101092
e-lockers are a factory option ?
I'll have to look cuz a 2 ddor is just the right size for me.

So I just went to Chev to check out the Colorado and trying decide on rear ratios I googled to see the 8speed ratios. WOW first thing up was "problems with the 8speed" I think I'll wait a few years and miss the experiment.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZR2_Zamboni

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

My truck started out as my daily driver/work truck, and my weekend toy was a 79 bronco. Around 2014 structural issues from years of offroad abuse began to plague the bronco and I started using my old work truck to go hunting, camping and exploring. Even with the massive size difference the F250 proved quite capable in stock form. After I spent a little money and time on the suspension and drivetrain it was flat out better than the bronco for everything except technical trails. All things considered I have less than $10k (including the $6k I paid at auction for the truck) invested in the truck and it does everything I need. You simply can't beat that and with such a low investment I have no worries of beating it up offroad. The main reason I haven't procured a more typical overland vehicle though is because I fully trust my truck to get me anywhere I need to go.20180806_125945_Burst01.jpg

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Nice AKs, at first that wood stocked one made me think VEPR, but the wood looks like a Norinco. The other one is a Galil right?

Anyway, simply put its what I have so Im working with it. The Escape is the car my wife had since long before we were together. She bought it because it was something that fit her, had all wheel drive for the winter, and was easy to fit canvases in (shes a studio artist that used to hang artwork and set up gallery shows). As time has gone on Im really finding out that I didnt need the capability of the rigs I had in the past, and Im learning to like the ease of maintenance on a modern transverse mounted engine, yes you read that right.

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

This is my second Silverado (18 yrs with my 99). It's all I've ever known, truck wise. Dad always had them. It's just nice to have a full size truck......if I need to haul something, etc which I do use them for........rather than just jacking up and looking pretty. Gas mileage isn't so much of a concern. Plus they just look the best (sans the front end on the 2019's). Had a few cars in my younger days and while they got the job done, being 6' 3" they suck getting out of and suck in the snow. If GM ceased to exit, I'd probably jump to Toyota. Not a Ford guy, couldn't pay me to drive a Dodge and Nissans....yikes.

The only down fall of full size rigs is two tracking and turning around on two tracks. I could see something narrower say like a Tacoma would be nice for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and denw

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I ve owned a variant of the f150 for the last 10 years or so. Personally I like them. Ford started debuting the SVT Raptor when I was in Iraq. I remember day dreaming about owning one. Actually never thought I would be in the position to own one. Fast forward a couple years of hard work and dedication to 2016 and I found myself looking at one. At the time i had an 05 f150 fx4. We were looking for a bigger truck since my scab was difficult to get my special needs daughter in and out of. My wife wanted an EcoBoost f150, after a test drive in the raptor, I dont know how i talked her into it, we came home with it. I didn't specifically need it for overlanding. I dont carry heavy loads, don't tow. It really was a perfect truck for me. And it satisfies the child in me to play in the dirt and sand. It's my daily driver, has all the comforts of a platinum, aside from the rear seats being heated. I'm happy with it. It's more than capable of what I need.