WHY did you choose YOUR rig?!

• HTML tutorial

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
We moved to a different region a few years ago. Left the high desert region to the deep pacific north west. We had a 05 2500 duramax lifted on 305s w/host camper. With some good driving we could get this setup into a lot of places in our previous region. We quickly found out it was out of its element in the PNW. We made a short list of what we wanted in a rig and the 2 details that drastically shortened the list were solid front axle and wheelbase/length. We settled on a TJ/overland trailer setup and we can now really push deep into exploring

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I wanted a full size gas powered truck. I have no interest in diesels, and wanted something that had a proven pedigree and excelled in reliability. I wanted to buy a truck and drive it, not worry about it having to be "in shop again"....ever. I picked a 2014 Tundra Double Cab and haven't looked back. The Tundra has amazing power, great brakes, a very comfortable driving area for me and regardless of what the Anti-Toyota fanboys say I'll put it's reliability up against anything on the road today. Period. I had briefly looked at the Power Wagon, then decided against a Chrysler product...and just to remind me of my wise decision not too long after my 2015 work Dodge Caravan shat it's motor with only 110K km on it.....that cost me $5K to repair and I swear I will never buy another pos Chrysler product again.

View attachment 93292
How do you like the pop-up camper? Any issues in cold weather along the hinge? I like the idea of a lower profile while on the hwy.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Being retired, I knew this would be the last vehicle I ever buy. Barring an accident. I decided on the Tacoma because of Toyota's reputation for reliability and longevity. I figure by the time it wears out I'll be too old and senile to be driving anyway. I was also impressed by the large selection of aftermarket goodies for it. In the two years I've had it it hasn't given me much reason to regret my choice. It's a pleasure to drive on the road and off. My one regret is I should have gotten the long bed version. A camper shell would have been more convenient than a roof top tent. But it's not something I lose sleep over. I'm a happy camper.

IMG_0807.jpg

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
We moved to a different region a few years ago. Left the high desert region to the deep pacific north west. We had a 05 2500 duramax lifted on 305s w/host camper. With some good driving we could get this setup into a lot of places in our previous region. We quickly found out it was out of its element in the PNW. We made a short list of what we wanted in a rig and the 2 details that drastically shortened the list were solid front axle and wheelbase/length. We settled on a TJ/overland trailer setup and we can now really push deep into exploring
Was it overall size/dimensions, or....the overhead canopy of trees? Which caused the most problems.

It's amazing how east of the Cascades, the land opens up. I really liked the diversity that comes up their.

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
Was it overall size/dimensions, or....the overhead canopy of trees? Which caused the most problems.

It's amazing how east of the Cascades, the land opens up. I really liked the diversity that comes up their.
It was all of the above. It’s incredible how tight roads/trails are here on Vancouver island. Also generally speaking we wanted to get back to a better camping experience. I can get back to enjoying rv life when the body can’t climb a ladder anymore.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

It was all of the above. It’s incredible how tight roads/trails are here on Vancouver island. Also generally speaking we wanted to get back to a better camping experience. I can get back to enjoying rv life when the body can’t climb a ladder anymore.
Same all over BC - super tight trails, often with steep drops

Megadoomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

N32°55'31.94",W117°05'20.21"
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Rossi
Member #

I can vouch for Tundra reliability. We started buying them in 2011 for our survey vehicles. We load them up with boxes and gear and do a ton of off road work. The first 6 tundras we bought all went over 200k without 1 trans, motor or xfer issue. That being said, my rig is not a Tundra. It's a 49 year old land cruiser. IMG_20190410_093601_502.jpeg

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

How do you like the pop-up camper? Any issues in cold weather along the hinge? I like the idea of a lower profile while on the hwy.
Love the camper. Best decision we ever made. No issues in cold weather at all. Had a little snafu with the furnace last week (a sensor was dusty from last year's trip up The Dempster and it wouldn't ignite, but once I cleaned it all was fine). Travels great on the highway, and we can still access most off-road places we did before.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I can vouch for Tundra reliability. We started buying them in 2011 for our survey vehicles. We load them up with boxes and gear and do a ton of off road work. The first 6 tundras we bought all went over 200k without 1 trans, motor or xfer issue. That being said, my rig is not a Tundra. It's a 49 year old land cruiser. View attachment 93503
One of the great things about older rigs, besides the greatly reduced electronic complications, is that front bumper area, that is just crying for a WARN 8274 winch. It might be a dinosaur {the winch design), but it is better/stronger than many in that class today. I have heard that #8000k winch pulling over #9000k without stalling. Try that with modern winches.

My best friend has a next door neighbor that has your model (stock wheel/hubcaps), it is a driveway queen, but the body is excellent, and the paint is not bad at all. That neighbor also had a Land cruiser FJ, that was sold, as it would not pass smog (Clark County Nv.-'strict'), but would have in Nye County next door. Being desert trucks, rust issues are rare. That lift and tire combo looks good. Details on it, as the rear fender area looks a little tight. Like a defender 110, it has a size advantage for over-landing (extended trip). Big enough to outfit, a steel gutter mounting point for a RTT on a big rack.

Megadoomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

N32°55'31.94",W117°05'20.21"
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Rossi
Member #

One of the great things about older rigs, besides the greatly reduced electronic complications, is that front bumper area, that is just crying for a WARN 8274 winch. It might be a dinosaur {the winch design), but it is better/stronger than many in that class today. I have heard that #8000k winch pulling over #9000k without stalling. Try that with modern winches.

My best friend has a next door neighbor that has your model (stock wheel/hubcaps), it is a driveway queen, but the body is excellent, and the paint is not bad at all. That neighbor also had a Land cruiser FJ, that was sold, as it would not pass smog (Clark County Nv.-'strict'), but would have in Nye County next door. Being desert trucks, rust issues are rare. That lift and tire combo looks good. Details on it, as the rear fender area looks a little tight. Like a defender 110, it has a size advantage for over-landing (extended trip). Big enough to outfit, a steel gutter mounting point for a RTT on a big rack.
This rig is a rolling contradiction. It's old, smelly, and bumpy but I have put power windows and door locks, and a decent stereo. It has GM running gear with EFI, 2018 Pacifica seats, heated shower, and LED lighting. The back is not big enough for me to sleep in. I put all the seats further back than stock for more leg room. I wanted an RTT before but I really like the lowest profile possible. I am probably going to built a M100 trailer with an RTT on top next year.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

What I have owned runs the gambit from Ford Courier to a 4x4 Suburban, a few pickups most 4x4's from Fords ,GMC, Nissian, and my job as a Fleet Mechanic I have seen and worked on most. But I have always loved our Jeeps and as a retirement gift got a 2015 JKU. I find I don't have to " Horse it " to go and do what I want. The number one I wanted was a total rebuilt old Land Cruiser with a 350 Chevy engine, but I don't have the money or time to do it....

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
From my experience you need to choose the type of Overlander you want to be before you choose your rig. Only then can you understand the needs and requirements of the vehicle.

In our case we went the Land Rover 90 route. This is based on off road capability, spares availability and sentimentality of it being the first true overlander from the Camel Trophy days etc and of course budget.

Ideally now, after having had the vehicle 12 years or so and travelled over 54K miles in the last 2 years throughout Europe, Scandinavia, and North Africa then Asia through the Stans and Russia to Mongolia and crossing the Pamir Highway I would say our choice was a good one. But it does restrict us. Colder countries are more of a challenge not so much for sleeping as a roof tent is fine once you are in it but more for that gap period between stopping driving and heading to bed.
So we are now looking for a Land Rover Defender 110 that we can fit a pop up roof and fit out inside to give the ability to sit inside when the weather is poor.

By going the 110 route we still have all of the initial factors we wanted in a vehicle but with slightly less off road capability.

Always remember an overland vehicle is an evolution between yourselves and your vehicle and I have heard it said many times your 3rd Overland Vehicle will be your best.

Take a look at our friend Graeme's piece about choosing your vehicle. There are many considerations before you hand over your hard earned cash.

First picture is Wilson our Defender 90 in Tajikistan just after finishing the Pamir Highway (4655m Highway) heading down into the Wakhan Valley Afghanistan last year 2018 and the second picture is camped up on the Kazakhstan Steppe on the long journey home.

_DAS3752.JPG

IMG_5495.JPG

EuMen77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

My previous car was a 69 Camaro that I restored. Had never owned a Jeep Wrangler but there have been many in my family so I knew my way around them. Recently placed an order for a 2019 Jeep JL Sport S 2 Door M/T which will be my very first Wrangler (very excited). However, after finding this site and diving into the whole Overland Bound ideal, I think I might have reconsidered the 2 Door option. Oh well, live and learn. Still extremely excited to get my new rig and start tearing it apart (not really)

Cant wait to start overlanding with y'all! Hope to see you soon on the back trails of this quaint little home we call Earth!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

2005 TJ Rubicon.

It is small.
Towing with the 4.0L is effortless.
Fabulous capability STOCK. Approach, Departure, BreakOver Angles are best period.
You can get it repaired anywhere. Parts are easy to find.

But why I love it....
The doors come off, roof too.
Perfect seating for me, the wife, the dog.
Great visibility!!

It really needs nothing. No need to mod anything. Box stock it leaves others behind.
It is bulletproof.

DSC_0170.jpeg

rs680

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Barrie
Member #

Well after more then 30 years of wanting a Jeep wrangler Last Spring i finally put a order in for a 2018 jeep JLU Rubicon. My plan was to take a few months and mod it and get it ready for a cross Canada overland trip. Well as life happens. It took longer then i thought to get my Jeep. It did not arrive until mid July so i was a little late to get started. then after 4 months of getting it ready. I woke up one November morning and had a stroke. I ended up in hospital for 2 weeks. I was in a coma for 10 days and was having seizures. So after that i was in no shape for any grand overland trip that i have been dreaming about for over 30 years and the doctors took my driver licence away for 6 months. Wow life sucks sometimes.

Well now it is spring i have been working hard at getting better I am doing well. I got my drivers licence back. And the Jeep is ready. I have had to adjust some plans as my family is concerned about me traveling alone with my dog. I also got a small pop up trailer as camping on the ground is not for me anymore. I need a little comfort when i travel. So i am 2 weeks away from my first trip. Just a small one to try out my old body and see what i can handle.
Here are some pics of my set up.IMG_0500.JPGIMG_0485.JPGIMG_0453.JPGIMG_0505.JPG