Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

KiloMike4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lewisville, NC, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

I have a 2018 Silverado and I'm running fox coil overs up front with cognito upper control arms for a 2.5" level and I'm just running the fox 2.0 out back until I feel like I need a something with resi. Im also running 17" methods with 295-70-17 nitto ridge grapplers. I'm planning on finding someone who makes sliders, I'm going with RCI for a bed rack with a rooftop tent. Bumpers that look good are hard to find and cost a lot. I already have a big list of stuff I want to get done that i think will be possible to transform this truck into an awesome overland vehicle
I'm having the same problem with my 2013 Suburban; but the options are almost non-existent for bumpers and sliders. I was looking at these guys from Montana that offer a diy bumper kit that can be fitted with a winch:
https://www.movebumpers.com/chevy-bumper-kits
I found a local fabricator for welding/fitting through their website that looks promising and I'm going to try and talk with him early this week. If it works out well, I may also discuss some custom slider fabrication with him. I can't see any other options for sliders out there right now that appear reasonable. You're not too far away from me in Homestead; I'll let you know if I learn anything positive.

tims53777

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'd say it's a safe wager that most don't even bother to attempt to wheel their rig in stock trim. I've done a ton of trails stock. That's how you learn your rig and it's limits. And that is the best way to plan a build, with experience.

But most just get online and start looking for tires and lift, BECUASE that's what everyone does, right?
I read this earlier today, forgot about it, and then it struck a chord so I had to come back and comment.

My 2016 1500 crew cab short bed is currently stock. I have been researching what to do with it like crazy, but i have never driven more than a fire road. This post just changed my entire mindset. Instead of dumping money into it right now, I am going to take baby steps building and learn what i "need" by experience. That said, first thing I am going to do is upgrade to 33s when my tires wear out.

Thanks for the reality check!

Stix

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

Great topic! I think it comes down to two main things. First, aftermarket support. Everyone starts wanting to have a modest rig but after you get the first modification you always want more. Second, the stigma of "Its a full-size! Its too big!" When in reality a Crewcab Shortbed 1500 is barely bigger than a Tacoma. They may even be the same length if the Taco is a long bed. Now when people say they don't want half tons and 3/4 tons because they ride rougher than the small trucks, I get that. A 2500 Cummins rides like a log wagon but when you start bringing size into it..no. These trucks are all within around 3 inches in width of each other and the length can vary depending on cab and bed configuration. I personally love driving down dirt trails off of forest roads to see where they end up, which is why I went with a Bronco. Its older so if I scratch it (I have..a lot) or dent it, its not a new vehicle that I've beat up. That being said if I want something to do long distance travel overlanding like multiple state trips, I'm going half ton all day. So i guess really it comes down to user preference. I sounds like its doing everything you want just fine, so if you're happy with it rock on! Hope my two cents is worth it.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Great topic! I think it comes down to two main things. First, aftermarket support. Everyone starts wanting to have a modest rig but after you get the first modification you always want more. Second, the stigma of "Its a full-size! Its too big!" When in reality a Crewcab Shortbed 1500 is barely bigger than a Tacoma. They may even be the same length if the Taco is a long bed. Now when people say they don't want half tons and 3/4 tons because they ride rougher than the small trucks, I get that. A 2500 Cummins rides like a log wagon but when you start bringing size into it..no. These trucks are all within around 3 inches in width of each other and the length can vary depending on cab and bed configuration. I personally love driving down dirt trails off of forest roads to see where they end up, which is why I went with a Bronco. Its older so if I scratch it (I have..a lot) or dent it, its not a new vehicle that I've beat up. That being said if I want something to do long distance travel overlanding like multiple state trips, I'm going half ton all day. So i guess really it comes down to user preference. I sounds like its doing everything you want just fine, so if you're happy with it rock on! Hope my two cents is worth it.
I agree with this in general, especially about aftermarket support. However, despite there only being a 6" difference in width between the Silverado and Colorado the actual driving experience is quite a bit different even when you compare similar wheelbase. The Silverado CrewCab Short bed has a very similar wheelbase as the Colorado CrewCab Long bed but the Colorado still feels a lot smaller in day to day driving and especially on trails. Drop down to the short bed Colorado (or Tacoma) and the difference is so large it puts the FS and Midsize in completely different categories as they should be. I've driven my old Canyon CCLB 143" wheelbase back to back on trails with my buddy's CCSB Sierra (143.5") and I felt like I was driving a tank compared to my Canyon, especially when I started pinstriping his truck in the same place my truck just drove through unscathed. That being said, my new Canyon CCSB with 128" wheelbase drives more like a midsize SUV in terms of nimbleness.

But, do you really need to be super nimble when on an overland adventure? It depends on your style of overlanding and for a great many I would argue a full size truck would do just fine and would probably get better fuel economy than a fully loaded down "nimble" rig that wasn't designed for such loads. It would likely break less often due to more heavy duty parts often used in FS trucks.

So I think the real question is, are you building an overlanding rig or a rock crawler or something in between? But we want our rigs to do it all right? :)

tims53777

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've been working on bed organization in my 2500. I made some places for the air compressor, shovel, air hose, and the drawers.

I put all of my recovery gear in the drawers. This setup is working great and allows my cooler and camping bins (food and camping gear) to fit in between them. View attachment 70642View attachment 70643View attachment 70644View attachment 70645View attachment 70646View attachment 70647View attachment 70648
Yea, but lets see the truck :)

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I read this earlier today, forgot about it, and then it struck a chord so I had to come back and comment.

My 2016 1500 crew cab short bed is currently stock. I have been researching what to do with it like crazy, but i have never driven more than a fire road. This post just changed my entire mindset. Instead of dumping money into it right now, I am going to take baby steps building and learn what i "need" by experience. That said, first thing I am going to do is upgrade to 33s when my tires wear out.

Thanks for the reality check!
Yup, what you do, what you encounter regularly should guide your build. Yes there are lots of sweet builds out there. And it's fun to say "I want my truck to be like X" but a lot of those guys just copied someone else and never use half the stuff they have.

Get out there and do stuff. Upgrade to fit your needs/wants.

Reactions: tims53777

KiloMike4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lewisville, NC, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Right good decision, rebuild is better on the pocket for sure...I have seen upgrades that I will for sure do..ie: size of the transmission cooler, radiator size, deep cycle battery. Roof top tent with a black horse rack with lights and bull bar with lights. 33x12.50 3 in h tortion lift with belstein shocks front and rear...definitely a good comms setup i side and you're right plenty of room. V8 WITH catback EXHAUST AND A RECEIVER MOUNT TIRE RACK.
Well, we'll see where this road goes. She goes in for surgery - a lift, wheels and tires day after tomorrow. I'll start a build thread and stop hijacking this Silverado thread with Suburban shenanigans.
Though they may be apropos for the Silverados. I'm still just jealous at the relatively better aftermarket treatment of the Silverados/Sierras vs us poor Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Yukon XL slobs. But whatever... I guess we're brothers with a few differences.
We'll see where the Suburban rebellion leads.

Last edited:

KiloMike4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lewisville, NC, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Well I'm starting down this road now. I have a 2013 Suburban with 135k+ miles and had been planning to buy a new 4runner and do a full build that I already had figured out. Over the past couple of weeks, I've re-thought things and I'm now going to start building up the Suburban. Just ordered a 3.5-4" lift, wheels and tires yesterday. I'll start a build thread in a couple of weeks when I get them installed.

I was balancing the pros and cons that have already been mentioned here. My Suburban is only a 1500; but it's 4 wheel drive and has a factory rear locker. What a ride on the highway. I don't think I've ever had a more comfortable highway travelling vehicle than this Suburban. And that 31 gallon gas tank!!! That alone should have got me thinking earlier. As silly as it is, the straw that broke the camel's back was when I popped the hood last week and was reminded of the auxiliary battery tray already installed in the Suburban for a second battery. Just went to the Chevy dealer this morning and picked up a battery hold-down for $8 and I'm ready to start wiring a second battery and install some radio equipment.

The down-side of size has been mentioned; but I love the space. The limited after-market support was also mentioned. I haven't found anything yet in the way of bumpers or sliders that I liked. But I'll keep looking. My Suburban also has the factory Autoride suspension with self-levelling. That pretty much limited my lift options to only a couple of choices. We'll see how it turns out.
Good call!! You'd hate the 4R coming from a Burb, you'd feel like you were driving a shoebox. Unless it's going to be more of a trail rig on tight trails, fullsize is the way to go. Plus I bet the Burb gets better gas mileage, too, haha.

KiloMike4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lewisville, NC, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

I had the MOVE bumpers shipped to my house and I built them. I did some custom work, especially on the front bumper to get a 18k lb. winch to fit. It was no easy task. Then I had them coated in Line-x instead of paint or power coating so they would never rust or scratch.

Here are my built videos.

Thanks for the great build videos. I really like how they turned out. Though I believe it would be beyond my current welding skills so I'm going to have to find someone to do the fabrication.
Are you pleased with how the Line-x is holding up on them?

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Thanks for the great build videos. I really like how they turned out. Though I believe it would be beyond my current welding skills so I'm going to have to find someone to do the fabrication.
Very cool. But Rino liner or like works like a stop on rocks. Need to be able to slide on rocks!

mr2autoxr

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I'd do the Line-X again. It holds up great and is easy to clean. I see how it could get hung up on rocks but I live in MI and there are very few rocks around here. I don't expect to go through many rock fields or large boulders in a full size Duramax anyways. And agree, if I'm in that situation, then just more throttle! haha