Why are the Ram's and all long beds neglected in the aftermarket world?!

• HTML tutorial

GBourne

Rank I

Contributor III

Surprise, AZ, USA
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Bourne
Service Branch
U.S. Marine
It seems like as I look into things that I would like on my truck, it being a Ram tends to be a limiting factor. Then, add that its a long bed, and my options become even more limited in some cases...

Now, the long bed thing makes sense, being that the approach and departure angles can be lessened as is the turning radius because of the long wheelbase...

But it seems that the Ford guys have all the stuff in the full size world, then the Toyota crowd...

Is this just an illusion to me being a Ram owner, or is it a correct observation?

Reactions: superjoe

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I run a 2019 RAM 2500 mega cab. So short bed but full size nonetheless. I have found that it takes some creative searching but I have been able to find anything I have needed. Now it may not be the very specific brand of something but I can find it specifically for RAM. I also have been researching many things and have come to discover that many brands are just repackaging an item as their own when it in reality is the same exact or so very close to another brand and many times is more cost effective because it doesn't carry a more known brand name. Rooftop tents for example, when you start looking at many of them there are companies selling the very same one just with a different sewn zipper line or color of fabric or different latches. Just my two cents of course your milage may vary and remember I am never right so take this with a grain of salt.

It seems like as I look into things that I would like on my truck, it being a Ram tends to be a limiting factor. Then, add that its a long bed, and my options become even more limited in some cases...

Now, the long bed thing makes sense, being that the approach and departure angles can be lessened as is the turning radius because of the long wheelbase...

But it seems that the Ford guys have all the stuff in the full size world, then the Toyota crowd...

Is this just an illusion to me being a Ram owner, or is it a correct observation?

GBourne

Rank I

Contributor III

Surprise, AZ, USA
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Bourne
Service Branch
U.S. Marine
Specifically what is it you can't find?
Well, Go Fast Campers for a long bed was the most recent thing...

I understand some of the design changes in the 5th gen Rams have prevented some items from being built (ceiling panels due to rear cab air bags being a thing now... )

And for some reason, my brain isn't cooperating for the other things...

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Well, Go Fast Campers for a long bed was the most recent thing...

I understand some of the design changes in the 5th gen Rams have prevented some items from being built (ceiling panels due to rear cab air bags being a thing now... )

And for some reason, my brain isn't cooperating for the other things...
Huh, so they make them for 8' beds, just not ram?

Because I see on their site they list 8' beds?

Have you spoken to them about wanting one?

GBourne

Rank I

Contributor III

Surprise, AZ, USA
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Bourne
Service Branch
U.S. Marine
Huh, so they make them for 8' beds, just not ram?

Because I see on their site they list 8' beds?

Have you spoken to them about wanting one?
Ha, well, that wasn't an option when I looked last time. I will have to contact them, but there are still plenty of other items that are just not made for Ram's, even though there are a substantial amount of them in the camping world.

Long beds, as I mentioned before, kind of make sense, but its annoying.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I run a 2012, Ram 2500, quad cab with a 8' bed, on 315's 4x4 with lockers, I have kitted my truck for the way I travel, shell, overhead rack (custom) ADD bumpers winch, and Baja designs lights. I did take some looking but It is the way I want it. I don't change anything unless it helps me get to where I want to go, nothing is for looks.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
@jwalla, I see your Megacab and raise you a 3500 Dually version of it...lol, @GBourne, AEV makes a bit of stuff for the Rams, lifts, snorkels bumpers etc, None of there lift stuff will fit my Megacab though as it is a 2012, all their stuff is for 2013 and later. Carli makes some suspension for the older models I believe. I think 4wheel campers makes the model M pop top canopy version for the 8 foot beds. I was thinking about putting on of Alucab's new Canopy Camper (only available for the 6'4 bed though) on our megacab, but have decided it was way to expensive for what you get and we would still have the extra width of the dually. Now we are planning on removing the bed, converting to super single rear tires and building a custom living quarters for the rear.

Reactions: jwalla

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I think part of the problem is that some ram trucks don’t have a square bed (2013+ maybe). I think my 6.5’ tapers in 2-3 inches. I seem to remember by dad having the same complaint on his 8ft 3500 SRW.
I build all my own stuff so it’s only a minor irritation.

Last edited:
Reactions: NMNomad

Foras

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Bonte
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We just bought a GFC XL and they take into account the tapered truck bed on a Ram. (2015 Ram 2500 diesel).

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

Things I am looking for still is a reserve gas tank if such a thing exists to place where the spare tire used to be. Seems to be a waste of space. Not sure wanting to carry rotopax or cans. I went the AEV route for my 2013 1500. Home made rack. My clan is getting bigger so need more room, more capacity. Getting a trailer to go with my rig.

LRFam1718

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Newport News, Virginia, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUM572
Things I am looking for still is a reserve gas tank if such a thing exists to place where the spare tire used to be. Seems to be a waste of space. Not sure wanting to carry rotopax or cans. I went the AEV route for my 2013 1500. Home made rack. My clan is getting bigger so need more room, more capacity. Getting a trailer to go with my rig.
These are universal, stackable, and could work for you.

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

Thanks ofr the input. I am hoping to locate a 'transfer' type reserve tank to transfer to the main. I can at some expense upgrade the entire tank I believe to just carry more. I agree with the original post that it does take a tad more effort to find aftermarket for the RAM platform. The 1500 in particular. I'd like a swing gate rear bumper to carry a tire a maybe a storage box like Aluminess makes for the RAM 2500, but not the 1500. My rig does what I ask it to do, but still....

Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Thanks ofr the input. I am hoping to locate a 'transfer' type reserve tank to transfer to the main. I can at some expense upgrade the entire tank I believe to just carry more. I agree with the original post that it does take a tad more effort to find aftermarket for the RAM platform. The 1500 in particular. I'd like a swing gate rear bumper to carry a tire a maybe a storage box like Aluminess makes for the RAM 2500, but not the 1500. My rig does what I ask it to do, but still....
I bought a Titan 60-Gallon Fuel tank to replace the smaller 35-Gallon tank on my 2012 Ram 3500...and I found it cheapest from Amazon vice the Titan website. But you can check them out to see if they make one for your rig -
Best of Luck!

LRFam1718

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Newport News, Virginia, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUM572
Can't tell from your profile whether you have gas or diesel, but there is a pretty large thread on HDram forums trying to fit the OEM 50 gallon tank onto a CCSB 2500. Definitely won't work due to harnesses, evap port differences, etc. I imagine the same would be true on the gas 1500.

Titan makes a 15gallon, gas, sidekick tank that fits in the bed and had a transfer pump. Take up too much bed space for me to recommend though.

As far as rear bumper with a swing gate--

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Can't tell from your profile whether you have gas or diesel, but there is a pretty large thread on HDram forums trying to fit the OEM 50 gallon tank onto a CCSB 2500. Definitely won't work due to harnesses, evap port differences, etc. I imagine the same would be true on the gas 1500.

Titan makes a 15gallon, gas, sidekick tank that fits in the bed and had a transfer pump. Take up too much bed space for me to recommend though.

that is the swing gate I have on order. should be here next month. Great part is when you move the spare tire out from under the bed you can put in the titan 30 gallon spare tire tank.

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

my 1500 is a 2013 year model and 5.7 hemi gas.

Reactions: LRFam1718

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins
I understand completely. I run a 16 crew cab long bed. Bumpers, suspension, power parts are a no issue. Gear is the issue. Took a bit to find how I wanted to build out my camp gear. All the drawers, slides, kitchens, racks, are made for 6.5 beds. Or if you do find stuff it’s at a huge premium. Problem for me is the truck needs to be multi purpose. Can’t leave camp gear mounted all the time. I’m a contractor and need the bed space. I have been searching for ideas for solar,battery power solutions, and removable storage ideas. I keep measuring and drawing and on and on. the only thing I leave on is my Voodoo Fabrication rack and my 270 awning. It’s nice to setup my cut station under.

Reactions: DaleRF