Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
I could go after November 5th. Have you been there before and have a plan? I'm coming from the Bay Area so don't know anything about the area. Since it's a long trip for me the longer we can spend in the desert the better for me. I've heard there was a book published that showed this as a 4 day trip, hitting a lot of side trails. I'm trying to get my hands on one.

Reactions: The Lone Overlander

Christopher McNamara

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Westchester, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McNamara
Member #

The plan I'm working on is heading out October 5th around midday to beat the LA traffic. Depending on time, and not wanting to rush, probably camping at one of the first campsites (Piute Corral or Rock Springs). Saturday take a big chunk out of the drive while still stopping to mess around and have fun. Probably camp around Seventeen Mile Camp. Sunday finish up and head home. Unfortunately missing too much work isn't an option for me right now so we have to crunch this one in.

Again rough plan, any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Also haven't consulted the books yet.

I just picked up this as well, most of the stuff I've read recommends the book.

upload_2018-9-13_15-44-41.png

Reactions: The Lone Overlander

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Mo_
Thanks for the post-up. Can't make it on the September dates but if you run it again next year I would be up for the 4 day trip. Also could meet you in Modesto to caravan down.

Mo_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Modesto, CA
Member #

Mo_
Thanks for the post-up. Can't make it on the September dates but if you run it again next year I would be up for the 4 day trip. Also could meet you in Modesto to caravan down.
I'm down. When do you plan on doing it? I'm also planning on doing the Rubicon next year with YouTuber Freedom Crawler.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Hoping for early November but still haven't received all the reference maps yet.

Kumayama

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ridgemark, CA, USA
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Mangiameli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6OMM
I’ll be there ~ 10/17-20
Plan to do it solo but happy to be in communication with and of assistance to others
KM6OMM
Monitor 146.52 , 146.46 , and 155.160 (NASAR). Also will show up via APRS
Can program in a GMRS channel or fire up the CB if I know in advance.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

I had a 1st week of Oct trip but I haven't got my truck back from the shop. yet.

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

There's a few pages dedicated to it in the Guide to California Backroads. I just picked up a copy two weeks ago from Amazon

The book is called Mojave Road Guide by Dennis Casebier. I just did it this spring and we only had to camp one night and we did the for real, entire trail from the Colorado river bank to Camp Cady.