Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I don't know, it was on the vehicle when I purchased it and have not see another one like it. Whoever built it did a fantastic job, I just need to finish it by building a tire swing out, bumper has a post already welded on it.
Sure would like to see a rear view of your bumper and how it ties in to your towing bar.
Also, why do you feel the need for a swing out tire carrier, just curious since you have a tire carrier on the rear door which does need to be modified for larger tires. There is a utube video on how its done.

Reactions: grubworm

denverdisco2

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Will
Last Name
Howard
Sure would like to see a rear view of your bumper and how it ties in to your towing bar.
Also, why do you feel the need for a swing out tire carrier, just curious since you have a tire carrier on the rear door which does need to be modified for larger tires. There is a utube video on how its done.
Tire carrier on door has been flipped already to fit a larger tire but I'd like to take the weight of the 33" tire off the door. Also would like to move the hi-lift jack to the swing out vs on the front bumper or roof rack. Post is already welded onto the bumper so just designing and welding up the swing out isn't a big deal just need to find the time.

I want to say the towing bar is stock, I haven't really looked into exactly how it ties in but can try and take a few photos. I don't tow much and have not had any issues when hooking a strap to a shackle in the hitch.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Tire carrier on door has been flipped already to fit a larger tire but I'd like to take the weight of the 33" tire off the door. Also would like to move the hi-lift jack to the swing out vs on the front bumper or roof rack. Post is already welded onto the bumper so just designing and welding up the swing out isn't a big deal just need to find the time.

I want to say the towing bar is stock, I haven't really looked into exactly how it ties in but can try and take a few photos. I don't tow much and have not had any issues when hooking a strap to a shackle in the hitch.
Thanks, I'd still like to see a photo of what the bumper looks like from a rear view before you
Do anything to it.

denverdisco2

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Will
Last Name
Howard
Thanks, I'd still like to see a photo of what the bumper looks like from a rear view before you
Do anything to it.
If the concern is if it can handle the weight or not, that will not be an issue. Whoever built it did a fantastic job and it adequately tied in to the frame and it has taken a severe beating off-road with zero issues. Adding the swing out will not alter anything below the bumper or the towing bar.

Apparently all of my photos are too large to share that were taken with my good camera and when I resize them they get all corrupted. I'll try and find some cell phone photos to share.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
If the concern is if it can handle the weight or not, that will not be an issue. Whoever built it did a fantastic job and it adequately tied in to the frame and it has taken a severe beating off-road with zero issues. Adding the swing out will not alter anything below the bumper or the towing bar.

Apparently all of my photos are too large to share that were taken with my good camera and when I resize them they get all corrupted. I'll try and find some cell phone photos to share.
It's okay, I was interested in what it looks like from the rear so I can build one like it. I did find a bumper made by rovertime that looks very similar to yours and has the swing outs on it. It's very nice and very pricy @
$ 1200.. no thanks..

Reactions: JimG92

JimG92

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edinburgh, UK
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Gilmour
Member #

Hi,
I just noticed the Land Rover thread on this forum - is it ok if I can put in these pictures of my 1985 '90. Just like your vehicles, it's always a work in progress - I suppose that's why we love them...there's always something to do.
All the best from Edinburgh

Attachments

citybiker

Rank 0

Contributor II

UK
First Name
C
Last Name
C
Hi,
I just noticed the Land Rover thread on this forum - is it ok if I can put in these pictures of my 1985 '90. Just like your vehicles, it's always a work in progress - I suppose that's why we love them...there's always something to do.
All the best from Edinburgh
Nice, may I ask what LED light bar is on the Defender?

JimG92

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edinburgh, UK
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Gilmour
Member #

Nice, may I ask what LED light bar is on the Defender?
Hi,
Not sure what the make is to be honest, (I think it's a Chinese copy) it was bought off Ebay around 3 or 4 years ago for around £75.00 (I think around $90) - it's wired through it's own circuit and relay to my main battery and it's worked fine. A couple of the individual LED's have dimmed a bit but, for all I paid for it, it's been OK. When it eventually fails, I'll have a look at what's on the market at that time.
All the best
Jim

Reactions: citybiker

JimG92

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edinburgh, UK
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Gilmour
Member #

Give us some info on it, neat rig, wish I had your bumper.
The winch bumper and Super-Winch Tiger Shark 9500 all came as a Christmas gift package from Devon 4x4 in the UK - it still works and looks great. It was from my wife about 5 years ago - no wonder I still love her to bits after 35 years together!!

JimG92

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edinburgh, UK
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Gilmour
Member #

The winch bumper and Super-Winch Tiger Shark 9500 all came as a Christmas gift package from Devon 4x4 in the UK - it still works and looks great. It was from my wife, Alison, about 5 years ago - no wonder I still love her to bits after 35 years together!!
The Landie itself is a 1985 '90 (between the Series III vehicles and before the Defenders were launched) - it is one of the first permanent 4wd models on coil springs. I've had it since 1999 and it's changed a bit since then. It was put onto a galvanized chassis in 2011 and at that time, a 300tdi from an old Discovery 1 was put in too. I also added in the Discovery's axles to give me all round disc brakes. A couple of years ago, a Discovery transfer box was added when my original one failed on a green laning trip to Wales - so it's geared a little higher now.
It's been all over the UK, the Scottish islands (Hebrides and Orkney), Ireland and France with me (and Alison) and my grand-kids would disown me if I ever sold it!
(I must admit that I do like the look of the new Defender though although the opportunities to modify or change it look pretty limited - still nice though
All the best
Jim

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The winch bumper and Super-Winch Tiger Shark 9500 all came as a Christmas gift package from Devon 4x4 in the UK - it still works and looks great. It was from my wife about 5 years ago - no wonder I still love her to bits after 35 years together!!
Who is @Bodge Garage ?

citybiker

Rank 0

Contributor II

UK
First Name
C
Last Name
C
So this has been my motto and justification for everything I do since I was a kid. While I understand it's a Landy thing..I wonder what people would think if I put this on my frontrunner rack on my Toyota?

View attachment 138403
I wouldn't worry too much what others think, I own a D4 & have no decals for a reason as its my choice.

You may come across the odd hard core landy owner who may ask or frown a bit however I certainly would let it spoil your day just because of a piece of wording signage.