Who else brings a grill?-1 cooking device to rule them all!

• HTML tutorial

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I looked all over and read so many reviews both buying. Almost bought the Q, but my nephew dis-liked his so much, hmm.. I looked hard at the Coleman dual BBQ/burner, but the reviews of melt-downs drove me away, hmm.. I ended up with the Camp-chef Rainier. So far, so good! Packs up nice, sets up nice.

Six sons

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Dirty Jerzee
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Gonthor
I am a hardwood charcoal purist anywhere I cook. For a while I had a Smokey Joe that went with me but it was a temporary solution because of its bulk.
I finally found this folding grill from some guys in Texas (brand escapes me) and have been thrilled with it since. I even found a folding charcoal chimney that fits in the storage bag with the grill.
It will double as a small firepit if there is no fire ring at our site and we dont want to leave a trace.
Packs down small... Approx 16x9x3 and weight 4 or 5 pounds.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600c.jpg

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

I use the two burner stove with the lodge grill/griddle cast iron part as well. That does everything from pot cooking to grille to griddle eggs and bacon and such. It also folders up small. I toyed with the idea of a skottle but can't boil large pots of water so I'd have to bring another thing to cook on anyway.

PRyan1878

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Roselle, IL, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Burkett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9FMN
We use a Coleman 2 burner stove and this year we are also bringing a BabyQ. I have grilled for years, but with a Q grill I can see baking breads and pastries as well as meat and veggies.

Reactions: haaken675

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I normally pack a small propane grill since burning bans are routine anymore.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
IDK about mess. That's the exact reason I love using the grill for every meal possible, almost no cleanup and never any mess. Went 4 days and didn't have to clean a single pot, pan, plate, etc. Magic.
My Weber Baby Q is my daily driver. Trust me, its a mess after 10 years of cooking on it.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
We use a Coleman 2 burner stove and this year we are also bringing a BabyQ. I have grilled for years, but with a Q grill I can see baking breads and pastries as well as meat and veggies.
Love the Q for getting hot enough to use it for baking

Reactions: PRyan1878

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
There is no perfect setup. Depends on the cook, the group, etc.
Most practical - propane two-burner stove, with a carbon steel skillet a pot, a griddle, and whatever you use to make coffee. Can cook pasta, boil water, sear steaks, saute veggies, etc.
BBQ: Best at grilling, less useful when it comes to bacon and eggs.
Skottle: Most fun. Draws people to gather around the round cooktop. Cooks eggs, steaks, veggies. Need another system for coffee, and pasta is a challenge.
If there is room, bring two. A Skottle plus a single burner like a Half-Gen for coffee or pasta. Or a BBQ plus a double burner for breakfast. I can't see bringing all three unless it is a long trip with a trailer.

Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Interesting thread. I love to cook and eat and do both pretty well at home and on the road. We fried turkeys in the middle of Baja, had lobster and clam bakes in Mojave. The first time I saw a gas grill as a primary heating device I thought it was pretty novel. I grill at home 3 to 5 nights per week, always over charcoal, when I camp open fire or charcoal. When I see a camp using gas grill they always look crusted and a pain to clean. I have had some good meals from them but I they are more limiting to cooking and messy, IMO.
I have had great meals from discada , but I don’t use them at home or on the road. I think they are novelty for most campers which is cool.
The current stove is a cook partner, and the grill is expanded steel with a bar frame. If we have something special planed what ever it takes.

Reactions: Old Tanker

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I honestly don't understand the skottle. It would be interesting to know the origins of the design.
It just seems like a dangerous, bulky and less useful wok
I keep thinking what my use cases are for using it because it's not my style of cooking. I can see the Wok aspect of it, but you really have to be creative for all other types of cooking.

I have the Camp Chef and all different accessories to feed my family of 5.

Amazon.com : Camp Chef Explorer Double Burner Stove : Camping Stoves : Garden & Outdoor

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I honestly don't understand the skottle. It would be interesting to know the origins of the design.
It just seems like a dangerous, bulky and less useful wok
They started in Mexico, it was plow disk converted to a cooking platform. It has a farm implement that was repurposed. The idea is heating the center and using the edges for heating tortillas and such on the sides or keeping cooked stuff hot. It’s not a wok, woks are hot and fast stirring a lot.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I stumbled on thisCharbroil Grill2Go while looking for parts for my Coleman Grill Stove combo, might be something I buy in the furture as it looks like a solid do everything kind of grill for a good price. I like the fact you can get pay a bit more to get a nice case for it!

Reactions: RoarinRow

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
They started in Mexico, it was plow disk converted to a cooking platform. It has a farm implement that was repurposed. The idea is heating the center and using the edges for heating tortillas and such on the sides or keeping cooked stuff hot. It’s not a wok, woks are hot and fast stirring a lot.
Nope... South Africa.

Reactions: RonaldHoward1313

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'

Africa

Originally popularized in Africa, the large wok-like disc known as a Skottle was traditionally used straight over a fire. Overland gear company TemboTusk adds the convenience of gas canister cooking to its portable model.

Mog n Loopy

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Mogensen
Member #

I just finished fabricating a scottle. I did buy the legs from Tembo though. I'll be giving it a test on our trek over the holidays. I don't think it's going to be one to rule them all. We do alot in the Dutch oven. Also the induction burner when we stay in a Campground.

Attachments

Do you guys have any stability issues, getting knocked over or get burned by the edge of the pan?

I noticed OB has them for sale, but with a tabletop version with short legs. Not sure if that is better or just takes too much table space.
Thoughts?

Mog n Loopy, that's some nice welding on the leg mounts!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Nope... South Africa.
Diska
Africa

Originally popularized in Africa, the large wok-like disc known as a Skottle was traditionally used straight over a fire. Overland gear company TemboTusk adds the convenience of gas canister cooking to its portable model.
They have been called Discada in Mexico for many years. First recorded use was in the mid 1800s. A skottle I guess is the South African name. People have been cooking on big round convex things since they started molding and cooking with clay.

Reactions: Downs