Who cooks with a Wok?

• HTML tutorial

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I'm considering adding a wok to my cooking kit, anyone else added one?

Pros and Cons?
I use and carry a black steel wok and one low sided skillet for my kitchen kit. I previously carried several pots from my former light-weight backpacking days. But after adding the wok and realizing that, after several trips, I was using the wok 90% of the time as both a skillet and pot, i ditched the extra pots completely.

Now, after 2 years, it occurs to me that the 6" skillet is mostly just a backup or second cooking surface. I usually pack and replenish my supply of fresh veggies, while in route, along with ziplock packs of precut meat (beef, chicken, pork) which I marinate and freeze, based on travel plans.

If I make stew or soup, wok works. If I fry up something, wok works. If I want a stirfry, wok has me covered!

Also carry a small stainless steel rack to cook over-the-coals beside the fire (when open fires are permitted or the menu calls to me...)

However I'm in the USA so we can generally find a small town or major city resupply point within a short drive from almost any location - it might be a bit out of the way but typically 2 hours or less drive.

So, compared to your options, what we do for driving and camping isn't much more than enhanced car-camping with the benefit of being able to take routes and trails not open to or available to, 2 wheel drive vehicles. Given that fact, your experience may vary greatly from our experiences.

Best of luck in your decisions and travels.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

By the way, about a steel wok, never use soap or detergent! I deglaze, while still hot, with a splash of water followed by a quick scrub with a stiff natural brush and/or, in a pinch, a 4"x6" piece of stainless steel chain-mail. That is all the cleaning required and this practice retains the "seasoning" of the metal which makes it virtually "non-stick" as well as prevents rust formation.

Reactions: JimInBC

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Perfect. I carry a Snow Peak cookset that includes a couple of saucepans and a small black steel skillet.

They rarely all get used at once.

Love a multi-purpose tool like the Wok suggests.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I have the equivalent cook set but from MSR vs Snow Peak. Found them either too small or typically unused which led me to use one of our in-home woks I already owned. Haven't regretted the wok addition - ever!

Best of luck!

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have the equivalent cook set but from MSR vs Snow Peak. Found them either too small or typically unused which led me to use one of our in-home woks I already owned. Haven't regretted the wok addition - ever!

Best of luck!
True, packs up small but provides equally small cooking realestate too, especially the frypan/skillet.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I have been using a wok at home for the last year but I also have a 80,000 BTU wok burner. We haven't bought takeout since. :grinning: I would like to use one in the teardrop I'm building but haven't picked a stove yet. I think I might be spoiled with the high heat I can get at home.

I have two woks, a carbon steel one (and @Eric Neal is right no soap. Ever!) that I use for cooking and deep frying. And a stainless steel one that is just used for water. I found boiling water in my carbon wok would take off the seasoning I work so hard to keep. I will try a wok once I get a stove and if I can get high heat I'll have one. If you live in an area big enough to have good asian markets check them out for cheap woks and accessories.

We did the camp cookware sets for years, one of the reasons we wanted the tear was to have room for what we want. I bought heavy stainless clad pans from a restaurant supply. Great pans and cheap, and are just as nice as the allclad we have.

Jimmy jags

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Los Angeles
Member #

I love to use a wok at home got a cool book called the breath of a wok all about how the seasoned pan makes your food taste better but damn they aren't small and it's just me and my wife and dog and he's not include into the meal plan :-)

Reactions: Eric Neal

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I have been using a wok at home for the last year but I also have a 80,000 BTU wok burner. We haven't bought takeout since. :grinning: I would like to use one in the teardrop I'm building but haven't picked a stove yet. I think I might be spoiled with the high heat I can get at home.

I have two woks, a carbon steel one (and @Eric Neal is right no soap. Ever!) that I use for cooking and deep frying. And a stainless steel one that is just used for water. I found boiling water in my carbon wok would take off the seasoning I work so hard to keep. I will try a wok once I get a stove and if I can get high heat I'll have one. If you live in an area big enough to have good asian markets check them out for cheap woks and accessories.

We did the camp cookware sets for years, one of the reasons we wanted the tear was to have room for what we want. I bought heavy stainless clad pans from a restaurant supply. Great pans and cheap, and are just as nice as the allclad we have.
Todd & Meg, just a thought (me thinking outloud here)... I'd be a little bit hesitant to use the high heat + wok combination inside a teardrop - or for that matter under the hinged rear kitchen access door (design i typically see).

Reason? The amount of released moisture and food/oil vapors are going to get distributed inside the teardrop and then adhere to the interior surfaces which will become grimy and sticky- over time.

I'd prob use a dedicted outside only, free standing stove so all the smoke and moisture are released into the atmosphere vs into your sleeping space. I KNOW... ONLY one man's opinion, just a thought for consideration.

EDIT: just dawned on me that the typical teardrop trailer has a separate space for sleeping quarters vs kitchen hatch... so what i was thinking about grease/grime doesn't really apply like I was thinking earlier. Please disregard my comments here. ☺

Bottom line is that I'm a bit lazy and wouldn't want to add another "chore" to the "when we get home" list such as wiping down all the walls, ceiling, cabinets, etc. so as to avoid grease and grime buildup.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Todd & Meg, just a thought (me thinking outloud here)... I'd be a little bit hesitant to use the high heat + wok combination inside a teardrop - or for that matter under the hinged rear kitchen access door (design i typically see).

Reason? The amount of released moisture and food/oil vapors are going to get distributed inside the teardrop and then adhere to the interior surfaces which will become grimy and sticky- over time.

I'd prob use a dedicted outside only, free standing stove so all the smoke and moisture are released into the atmosphere vs into your sleeping space. I KNOW... ONLY one man's opinion, just a thought for consideration.

EDIT: just dawned on me that the typical teardrop trailer has a separate space for sleeping quarters vs kitchen hatch... so what i was thinking about grease/grime doesn't really apply like I was thinking earlier. Please disregard my comments here. ☺

Bottom line is that I'm a bit lazy and wouldn't want to add another "chore" to the "when we get home" list such as wiping down all the walls, ceiling, cabinets, etc. so as to avoid grease and grime buildup.

Best of luck!
All good points. We won't be cooking inside the teardrop. I haven't figured out the galley yet but I'm planning on having a spot on the side, outside of the galley to mount the stove when we get to camp. All my wok cooking at home is done outside year round.

Todd

Enthusiast I

I do use a flat bed wok. It was coming with a grilled pan that fits into the wok (good for storage) made for friying things, so overland fries are great ! I find it useful for draining the pastas as well.
I actually use it as my main cooking gear along with a pot. I think the versatility of it make it perfect.

Reactions: Eric Neal

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I do use a flat bed wok. It was coming with a grilled pan that fits into the wok (good for storage) made for friying things, so overland fries are great ! I find it useful for draining the pastas as well.
I actually use it as my main cooking gear along with a pot. I think the versatility of it make it perfect.
Your description sounds very interesting. Can you attach a pic or two of the "grill pan" you describe? I too use the standard wok as my primary utensil for cooking but any potential improvement would be welcome.