Rank II

Enthusiast II

Reese,Michigan
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Haines
Member #

So obviously Broncos are a hot topic this year with the upcoming release of the new 2021 bronco but has anyone built an older bronco? I’m looking to buy a 92-96 currently to turn into my weekend warrior but just doesn’t seem like there are many seeet up for overlanding out there. I’d love to see what kinds of Broncos this group has built! Pic for attention*

Attachments

Reactions: Sgtanderson

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So obviously Broncos are a hot topic this year with the upcoming release of the new 2021 bronco but has anyone built an older bronco? I’m looking to buy a 92-96 currently to turn into my weekend warrior but just doesn’t seem like there are many seeet up for overlanding out there. I’d love to see what kinds of Broncos this group has built! Pic for attention*
I am running a 1989 FSB. @Dakota Houligans is building one as well. Over on FSB, there are quite a few built up... look up Dan90FSB on both Full Sized Bronco Forums and Pirate. Speaking of Pirate, the first two pages of the Ford sub forum are overland builds.

If you’re dead set on a 5th gen, you want a 1995-1996 if you don’t want to take the top off. Otherwise you want a 1986-1991. The worst years are the 1992-94 years for electrical problems due to the EPA requirements getting ready for OBDII.

Attachments

Reactions: Tyhaines421

Tyhaines421

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Reese,Michigan
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Haines
Member #

This is the kind of information I need! Really looking at late model Broncos for creature comforts along with aftermarket support. I work a lot so want something with cruise and AC I can run to work with but also still use to get out and go wheeling and camping.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Why do you say 95/96 if I don’t want to take the top off? Aren’t they removable too?
Not legally, the rear seat belts and the third brake light is attached to the framework in the top instead of the B-Pillar. Also the ‘96 is a one off model year that has a hard time finding cosmetic parts for.

If you seriously want a FSB, you need to get one before the pre-order 2021 Broncos hit the streets... the value is jumping weekly by hundreds... when I bought my Bronco in 2019, it was a cosmetically good rig, but a mechanic special... I payed $1700 for it... it’s now worth 5 grand as a shell without engine and transmission. $10-15k is the going price for a no rust mechanically sound Bronco between 1987-1995... 1996 is 15-20k due to it being a one off year... also the most sought after years are 1991 Anniversary Edition, the 1978 Sunburst, and the 1996 Sport.

Getting a Bronco with a standard transmission is rare, even rarer if it has the 351w. Most common standard transmission engine combo is the M5OD behind a 300 inline six cylinder. The 1992-1996 transfer cases are electronic shift, and the shift motors are non existent and starting to fail. Also 92-96 have automatic hubs which are week and fail as well. So expect to spend money replacing the transfer case with one from a 1986-1991 Bronco/F-150 and getting Warn Premium Locking hubs for the same generation of F150/Bronco.

About the best feature of the 1992-1996 Bronco is the 5.0 Roller cam engine. Unfortunately this is the only saving grace for the Areo Bronco.

Reactions: Tyhaines421

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Also your bronco is sharp! Love that color!
Thanks, I’m going to be repainting it to the same color... the clear coat is gone, and paint is worn off in places like the hood and roof. It’s a slow going project for sure... I am in the process of putting in a 1993 5.0L, ZF5 speed transmission, and swapping to Saginaw power steering. If all goes as planned, I will also be putting in a NP203/205 doubled transfer case and lockers this spring when I finish the mechanical build.

My Bronco has 0 lift, running 32x11.5 Maxis Bighorns. This might change, but so far I don’t see the need for a lift. You can go to 33x12.5 without a lift or trimming, 34’s with trimming and fender flares, and 35’s with 2.5” of lift.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I know it's not a full size bronco, but it's still a bronco! I've taken this rig all over the place from Death Valley, Eastern Sierra's, Moab Utah, Canyon Lands, Lost Coast and the list goes on. Built Ford Tough!
That’s a real Bronco

Tyhaines421

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Reese,Michigan
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Haines
Member #

Also I cannot believe the price jump on Broncos lately it’s insane! I just wanted a fun weekend warrior I could drive to work. I’ll probably still suck it up and buy one but I won’t be happy about the price

Reactions: surfnturf

JVG

Rank 0

Contributor I

Tracy, CA, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Gondal
I have 2 78/79 Broncos used for camping and fishing trips
One is for heavy 4x4 use. Crawling rocks if need be

The other is closer to stock. Equipped with rear locking differential an air compressor and 2 batteries to mention a few add ons
I would not trade them for anything
I can take pictures

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

Also I cannot believe the price jump on Broncos lately it’s insane! I just wanted a fun weekend warrior I could drive to work. I’ll probably still suck it up and buy one but I won’t be happy about the price
No kidding.. I bought my bronco in 2012 for 14K. Probably sunk another 10K into it over the past 9 years restoring and improving it. Last week I turned down a 50k cash offer to take it off my hands. I have found over the years that anything that is old and cool will go up in value. Same thing is happening with Scouts, Land Cruisers, and Jeeps. I think an investment in a full size bronco will be money well spent so long as you take care of it and do tasteful improvements. It may seem like a chunk of money now, wait until you see what they are worth in 10 years from now.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
I previously build an '84. Now that we have kids, the wife wanted a nicer bronco (and due to road salt and not washing it). So I'm now building a '95 with the good parts of my old one and the more comfortable aspect of the newer one. Along with a few improvements. For mild to mid level back roads a bronco with 32 or 33 and some lockers will get you just about anywhere you want. Of course my wife wanted a smoother ride so I heard get long travel desert race type suspension...

MeliMK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orwigsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Melinda
Last Name
Killian
Member #

We have a 96 Bronco we built as the mini overland vehicle to go out with our truck. We did a complete frame off rebuild in the driveway two years ago. Spending most of her life in PA caused massive rust damage but shes better than new now.

4" lift, trimmed front fenders to accommodate 35s, beefed up the entire suspension, trussed the rear, front & rear differential lockers, converted to rear disc brakes, updated the interior with recessed floor storage, heated seats, MOVE front bumper and custom rear bumper, transmission skid plate tucked up for more ground clearance. Tons more lighting, blacked out all the chrome. Pulling the engine & tranny this winter. Doing another 5.0 to keep the computer stuff the same. Intake, heads, cam shaft will be upgraded.

Bronco4.jpg
Bronco3.jpg
Bronco2.jpg

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

We have a 96 Bronco we built as the mini overland vehicle to go out with our truck. We did a complete frame off rebuild in the driveway two years ago. Spending most of her life in PA caused massive rust damage but shes better than new now.

4" lift, trimmed front fenders to accommodate 35s, beefed up the entire suspension, trussed the rear, front & rear differential lockers, converted to rear disc brakes, updated the interior with recessed floor storage, heated seats, MOVE front bumper and custom rear bumper, transmission skid plate tucked up for more ground clearance. Tons more lighting, blacked out all the chrome. Pulling the engine & tranny this winter. Doing another 5.0 to keep the computer stuff the same. Intake, heads, cam shaft will be upgraded.

View attachment 178881
View attachment 178882
View attachment 178883
Beautiful truck and tastefully put together. Nice work!

Reactions: Mekcanix and MeliMK

MeliMK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orwigsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Melinda
Last Name
Killian
Member #

Beautiful truck and tastefully put together. Nice work!
Thank you! Love yours as well. We daydream about getting our hands on an older style at some point. But I think the next Bronco project will be a prerunner. But we need a garage to fit everything first! I'm tired of driveway rebuilds and parts hanging all around the house.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I got my Junkyard 5.0 today from a 1993. Now to
Start stripping it down to a little more than a long block to swap the Bronco specific parts back on.

Tyhaines421

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Reese,Michigan
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Haines
Member #

View attachment 178881
View attachment 178882
View attachment 178883
I’m drooling I love it

Reactions: MeliMK

Zummajay

Rank I

Traveler III

New Smyrna Beach, Volusia County, Florida, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Spoor
I had a 96, loved it, but it was too perfect for wheeling. Also, the electronics were a little bit of a nightmare, the 90s were the experimental years with electronics before they're ready for the public.
I now own a 1982 bronco that I love (barn find) and building that into a true Overlanding camping vehicle.
Hope to show it off at the 2024 overland expo west.

Attachments