Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

I am sure you guys have seen them on YouTube vids but I am torn between which door hinge to buy? I just ordered a RTT tonight so I figured they would make things easier getting on top of my rack.

Do I go with the Karoo Rack door hinge set or the Smittybuilt “Atlas” version?

Have you guys had any experience with either?

Please let me know your thoughts. I try to go with YouTube reviews but half of the time you don’t know if the person is being sponsored by the product or not.

Trent Munson

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ada County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Trent
Last Name
Munson
Member #

I am sure you guys have seen them on YouTube vids but I am torn between which door hinge to buy? I just ordered a RTT tonight so I figured they would make things easier getting on top of my rack.

Do I go with the Karoo Rack door hinge set or the Smittybuilt “Atlas” version?

Have you guys had any experience with either?

Please let me know your thoughts. I try to go with YouTube reviews but half of the time you don’t know if the person is being sponsored by the product or not.
I do not have any experience with either of these, but I've seen several people take them off of their rigs. They claim it just as easy to open one of the doors to access the roof rack. Something to consider, might save you a few bucks to go toward another project.

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

I do not have any experience with either of these, but I've seen several people take them off of their rigs. They claim it just as easy to open one of the doors to access the roof rack. Something to consider, might save you a few bucks to go toward another project.
That’s very true about the not needing them, And just using the seats. I was just more concerned about have to take on and off the RTT or putting the cover on it. If only I had a garage I could pull in with the RTT instead of taking it off every time...

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

I have the smittybilt steps & they rock. I’m 250 lbs & no problem holding my weight & jumping around from front to back.

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

I have the smittybilt steps & they rock. I’m 250 lbs & no problem holding my weight & jumping around from front to back.
How do they do for rust or sealing your door up with the gasket that is provided? I live in MN so both water and salt are a yearly concern.

Owasco

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1336 Bellview HTS Locke NY
Member #

I have the Smittybuilt “Atlas” and I like them. I ran them in one winter and they are already rusting. I do use them all the time. Not sure if I would go with this brand again due to the rust, but I don't know if the Kargo master steps are any better.

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

I have the Smittybuilt “Atlas” and I like them. I ran them in one winter and they are already rusting. I do use them all the time. Not sure if I would go with this brand again due to the rust, but I don't know if the Kargo master steps are any better.
From the other people I have talked to, the kargo ones rust just as bad. Looks like step ladder and standing on seats is what I am going to be trying first

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

How do they do for rust or sealing your door up with the gasket that is provided? I live in MN so both water and salt are a yearly concern.
Honestly I’m in San Diego ca. We don’t have the salt or rust issues but I can say no rust
& still looking new after 2 years.

Reactions: Rubicon72