Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

So in my efforts to remove the RTT from the roof of my jeep and install it on a trailer that I have been slowly working on, I decided it would be fun to build a roof rack that would allow a roof top tent to be mounted in any direction. I thought that having the the tent open up to the rear and sitting on the tail gate would be fun. So I built the rack high enough that the ladder would be able to sit on the tail gate. What position do you have your RTT mounted in? benefits of side vs rear opening? Does it even make sense to build a rack that allows one to position the opening of the tent in any direction or is opening to the side the best of all options? Check out the video and let me know what you think.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I have mine opening to the passenger side. Didn't put much thought into it but the main reason is because I have my awning opening up on the driver side. An option would be a pop up hard top where you can place the ladder on side or rear.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I have mine opening to the passenger side. Didn't put much thought into it but the main reason is because I have my awning opening up on the driver side. An option would be a pop up hard top where you can place the ladder on side or rear.
When I had the tent mounted on my jeep, it opened up to the driver's side. The rear opening tent is interesting to say the least.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I have mine opening over the passenger side, and my awning on the driver side.

Reactions: Embark With Mark