Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Here's my dilemma. I currently own an 05 Jeep Wrangler and an 05 crew cab GMC Sierra 1500 4WD. My wife owns a 14 4 door Jeep Wrangler. My wife uses hers for a daily driver/ kid hauler, so modding her rig for overlanding is out of the question at the moment. The concern with my rigs is that my truck has high mileage (193k) and my Jeep, well it's a small, rough riding TJ. Should I sell both of my rigs and buy something like a Tacoma, or go with a trailer setup to pull behind hers? I'm not sure which route would be best. Would like some input from more experienced overlanders.
Thanks in advance.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB member #4392

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Well how much overlanding do you plan to do? Do you want to do longer trips or just weekends? Do you want some more comfort for your trips that the Jeep cant provide?

Theres a lot about what kind of trips you want to do with your family and how much room you need. I mean really a jeep and trailer would provide a ton of space and capability. Give us some insight!

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

It will mostly be just me and my wife on a majority of our trips. We will do more trips within 6-8 hours of our house for the next year or two, as my wife just started in a new position, so her vacation is limited. We do want to take some trips out west (Colorado,Utah, etc) though. I really like the FlipPac or AT Habitat setup, to where you can stand up in the back of your truck, but wow those are expensive. We hammock camp when we do camp, but she's always worried about bears when we are in the mountains, so she has expressed interest in being up on top of a vehicle or elevated somewhat.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB member #4392

Reactions: Art

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Hmm yeah. It sounds like you already have some experience going out and are comfortable with it so it may be worth looking into upgrading to something that can sustain those longer trips. For me being a cheapskate I have a hard time looking to buy a new vehicle and always try to make it work with what I have.

I think you might look at tallying up how much everything is going to cost you to upgrade your currently vehicles and buying a trailer versus getting a new rig and having to buy everything for that. That would give you a position to see how long itd take to get to a position you want to be.

Reactions: southernfire97

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Hmm yeah. It sounds like you already have some experience going out and are comfortable with it so it may be worth looking into upgrading to something that can sustain those longer trips. For me being a cheapskate I have a hard time looking to buy a new vehicle and always try to make it work with what I have.

I think you might look at tallying up how much everything is going to cost you to upgrade your currently vehicles and buying a trailer versus getting a new rig and having to buy everything for that. That would give you a position to see how long itd take to get to a position you want to be.
Thanks for the input and advice, Art.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB member #4392