Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Hi all,

So I want to get rid of my truck and get an SUV. And I can’t decide what would work best for me

This is my criteria, somewhat okay MPGs(that’s why the Diesel swapped Disco is so appealing), lockers, room to sleep, something I could daily. And yes, I have ample time to work on it

The vehicles I’m currently looking at from most interest to least:

• LR Discovery 1/2, with a 200/300TDI or a Cummins swapped in. This is probably the most $$$ route
  • 80/100 Series Land Cruiser. These are just so expensive with such high miles. And if I don’t go diesel, the reported 10-15 MPGS doesn’t appeal to me. But they are such highly acclaimed.
  • Jeep XJ or Wrangler. This one may just be too small, and my family member has one and they get thrown on the road so easy and are fairly loud.
  • 4Runner, newest one I could get for under $15-20k. These are nice, but I like the look of the Cruiser and Disco way more.
Thanks for any inputs and help.

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Speaking as an XJ owner I can say they certainly work. I am not sure what you mean by "thrown on the road so easy", but if you mean they have lots of aftermarket support I can agree with you. That is one of the reasons I got an XJ.

I can agree they are not quiet. I can also tell you a Cummins won't be quiet either.

From wheeling with some friends who have new 4Runners I can tell you the XJ has substantially better visibility over the hood. This matters when cresting hills and you need to know which way the trail goes. The 4Runner guys keep having to get out and check before they can proceed.

I don't know how much family you are trying to fit, but I manage to fit myself and three boys, the eldest of whom is 6' tall. Or more. And I am talking about going overlanding. I can fit the whole family in the Jeep for around town, but The Bride doesn't do Jeep camping trips. She requires I take the Suburban if she is going too. But The Varmints and I can do a week long trip in the XJ without any trouble.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Depending how tall you are you might make a Nissan X-terra Pro-4x (factory rear locker) decent mpgs, inexpensive to buy, maintain but a more limited accessory market. I've slept in an 80 series for years it was long enough but as you stated mpg isn't so good ~11mpg with 35" tires.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Depending how tall you are you might make a Nissan X-terra Pro-4x (factory rear locker) decent mpgs, inexpensive to buy, maintain but a more limited accessory market. I've slept in an 80 series for years it was long enough but as you stated mpg isn't so good ~11mpg with 35" tires.
Almost got the Xterra and did a titan swap. Ended up with a Jeep though.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Almost got the Xterra and did a titan swap. Ended up with a Jeep though.
We have an xterra in the group that I wheel with and it is constantly underestimated not just for ability but cost of ownership being low. Now owner has over 200K with no major issues running $150 lift 285/75-16 (off my cruiser)

Wolf427

Rank III

Contributor III

Halton Hills, ON, Canada
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Mancini
In my opinion an XJ or JKU with diesel swap(Cummins 4BT, Mercedes OM617, Cummins R2.8). For something better on-road I really think a 4runner or Lexus GX is your best bet.

Edit: Jeep Grand Cherokee WK Diesel?

Reactions: MazeVX

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
We have an xterra in the group that I wheel with and it is constantly underestimated not just for ability but cost of ownership being low. Now owner has over 200K with no major issues running $150 lift 285/75-16 (off my cruiser)
They are awesome. And the stance with T Swap is really cool.