Which roof top storage bins?

• HTML tutorial

NonStop

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hello Overlanders & OffRoad Enthusiast!

I'm trying to figure out which roof top storage bins everyone has the best luck with. Also which is cost effective? I'm leaning towards the Plano 1819 sportsman bins. I want something that keeps out water, weather, dust & smells. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You
Happy Independence Day!Screenshot_20190630-182808_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

Last edited:

Dahoe

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Alabama
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
Doster
Member #

Bought a few of these yesterday to get better organized. Academy Sports had them on sale.

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
I’ve had zero issues with the Plano boxes you have mentioned above. No water, dust, or dirt issues. Some folks have used a rubber /foam stripping in the lip of the lid to make that much more protected. I’ll eventually do it too

Edit: I have the 1919 , with the latches on both sides. Not the 1819

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Hello Overlanders & OffRoad Enthusiast!

I'm trying to figure out which roof top storage bins everyone has the best luck with. Also which is cost effective? I'm leaning towards the Plano 1819 sportsman bins. I want something that keeps out water, weather, dust & smells. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You
Happy Independence Day!View attachment 106462
Those are nice boxes and it had a low enough profile which would makes it good for a roof storage box. The 1919 is 17” while the 1819 is 14” tall.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have three of the Plano totes, you need to add a seal to keep them 100% dust proof. No problems with moisture, only problem I have is they heavy when you add a lot of gear. The wheels on the one end help moving them around once you get them out of the truck.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I just got my 1819 from Amazon today. For $32 it’s a good box. I put my miscellaneous stuff that was in the bed in this new box and it fits perfectly with room to spare.