Which roof rack/awning system is best?

• HTML tutorial

ILLFOZZ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego
Member #

I'm temporarily running the ROLA roof rack and have been looking at the Front Runner setups but wanted some practical insight as to what setup or system work best together. Thanks in advance!

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I've used Yakima, ARB, Frontrunner, and most lately Rhino Rack. What I loved about Rhino, and the Frontrunner, was they were designed and built for the vehicles I fitted them to. This made them a much better fit and more usable due to better utilizing the factory's mounting points. I'm not sure who has a rack that best fits your Subaru, but if someone does I'd likely recommend it over a generic fitment.

It looks like Rhino offers a pioneer platform with 4 of their legs to fit your subaru. That would likely be the direction I went in your shoes. I don't see any thing other than bars from most manufacturers for the forrester.

Reactions: ILLFOZZ

ILLFOZZ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego
Member #

I've used Yakima, ARB, Frontrunner, and most lately Rhino Rack. What I loved about Rhino, and the Frontrunner, was they were designed and built for the vehicles I fitted them to. This made them a much better fit and more usable due to better utilizing the factory's mounting points. I'm not sure who has a rack that best fits your Subaru, but if someone does I'd likely recommend it over a generic fitment.

It looks like Rhino offers a pioneer platform with 4 of their legs to fit your subaru. That would likely be the direction I went in your shoes. I don't see any thing other than bars from most manufacturers for the forrester.
Thanks for the response! I'll be sure to check them out.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Just my opinion in general about roof racks. I have a prinsu (no options for subaru i believe). Its good, but I don't love the lack of side mounting options, or the lack of accessories in general. Also, I like roof racks that are sturdy and have a lot of rails. After doing more and more research before and since I purchased my roof rack, I would pretty much ONLY go with ARB, Rhino Rack or Frontrunner. For any vehicle. My personal choice of the 3 is frontrunner, specifically because of the amount of mounting accessories and options they have.

I've heard great things about rola, but I don't think its really as heavy duty as what I like in a roof rack. I want a rack I can stand on top of. If i'm wrong, someone please correct me about Rola tho!

Lremoore

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

United Kingdom
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I have a frontrunner rack with a foxwing and some other accessories. It can be a little noisy but a great bit of kit, the range of accessories and flexibility means I can change my setup dependant on what I'm going to do.