Which lift kit, wheels, and tires are best for my 2002 Tacoma?

• HTML tutorial

MontySquared

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Vincent
Last Name
Montoro
Member #

Hello everyone, I am currently in the processes of building my 2002 Tacoma into the rig I have always dreamed of and one that will serve us well as my wife and I travel the U.S.

Which suspension lift kits do you recommend and which wheels and tires do you recommend (those who own a 1st Gen. Tacoma and those who are knowledgeable in this area)? Thank you for the help.

Also, I have researched many things, but I am new to building an overland rig, so there are many, many things I do not know. I know people love the OME suspension kits, but that my be out of my price range, do you recommend Rough Country as a good quality lift kit? Any information will help, I will be posting often as I execute this build. Thanks again.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Goodness! This is a huge can of worms, so I'd honestly say just keep googling and searching!

That said, if you are on a budget, American Racing wheels are pretty inexpensive while still being relatively light weight. I got 5 16x8s for $455 shipped off Amazon, and they only weigh 21lbs each.

There are also as many tire choices as there are members on this forum, so I'd again just use your google-fu. However, if you want an inexpensive MT, I am super happy with my Milestar Patagonia tires, also ordered through Amazon. They are indeed imported, but are wearing very well, balanced with less than 5oz per tire, and are actually quieter than the ATs on my wife's 4Runner.

MontySquared

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Vincent
Last Name
Montoro
Member #

Goodness! This is a huge can of worms, so I'd honestly say just keep googling and searching!

That said, if you are on a budget, American Racing wheels are pretty inexpensive while still being relatively light weight. I got 5 16x8s for $455 shipped off Amazon, and they only weigh 21lbs each.

There are also as many tire choices as there are members on this forum, so I'd again just use your google-fu. However, if you want an inexpensive MT, I am super happy with my Milestar Patagonia tires, also ordered through Amazon. They are indeed imported, but are wearing very well, balanced with less than 5oz per tire, and are actually quieter than the ATs on my wife's 4Runner.
Thank you for taking time to reply and helping me dissect this awfully huge can of worms! With that being said, I have looked into American Racing wheels and they get good reviews and are reasonably priced. What size would you recommend, the stock wheels are 16in. and it seems that many people go with 15in. wheels, is this for a larger sidewall and more traction when aired down or are there other reasons I am missing?

Thanks again for the time!

MontySquared

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Vincent
Last Name
Montoro
Member #

Can't go wrong with KO's or KO2's. Great on and off road tires.
I agree, these have been on my list of possible tires. My wife and I will be traveling thousands of miles through the US, so I am looking for an A/T tire instead of a M/T for better gas mileage and I would image they will wear better because they are made for both road and off-road use.

Thank you for you time and response!

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Thank you for taking time to reply and helping me dissect this awfully huge can of worms! With that being said, I have looked into American Racing wheels and they get good reviews and are reasonably priced. What size would you recommend, the stock wheels are 16in. and it seems that many people go with 15in. wheels, is this for a larger sidewall and more traction when aired down or are there other reasons I am missing?

Thanks again for the time!
No problem!

15" wheels indeed allow for a little more sidewall, with a side benefit of slightly reduced combined mass, and usually slightly cheaper wheels.

However, I know with the 4Runner, you cant go down to 15s due to the size of the front brake calipers, so I would expect the same limitation with the Taco.

MontySquared

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Vincent
Last Name
Montoro
Member #

Go to https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p439/Coil/Bilstein_5100_Kit_for_1995.5-2004_Tacoma_(HS9504BK-1).html Marie will set you up suspension wise. They also have the best prices and free shipping on everything they sell. For tires https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/falken-wildpeak-a-t3w/p/26508 I am a big fan of my Falkens.
Wow, thank you for the help, I have contacted the company and I am just waiting to hear back about the kit. Their website makes it simple to purchase a full kit with what you want and their prices do seem to be the best I can find. I like the falken's as well and they are on my list of possible tires.

Thank you again for the help!

MontySquared

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Vincent
Last Name
Montoro
Member #

No problem!

15" wheels indeed allow for a little more sidewall, with a side benefit of slightly reduced combined mass, and usually slightly cheaper wheels.

However, I know with the 4Runner, you cant go down to 15s due to the size of the front brake calipers, so I would expect the same limitation with the Taco.
Yes, I have been reading that people end up trimming some of the caliper off to fit 15in. rims, but that is not what I want to do, I think I will stick with 16in for now.

Thank you for the help and taking time to reply and follow up!