which is your favorite method of going to the restroom when over landing?

• HTML tutorial

HaroldCruz465

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Cruz
I've been building my overlanding check list and I'm curious to know what has worked best for you when it comes to using the restroom while overlanding?
or if you've come up with a method that works for you and if you can please share your thoughts.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Since I have a camper shell, it's easier for me to transport, hide, and us the Coleman port a potty thingy we have, if I really had to use the restroom. My camper shell has covered windows through out so privacy is not a big concern. Otherwise, I'd be sure to hit the restroom at the last gas station before hitting the trail, assuming I did hit the last and closest restroom at or near the trail head.

HaroldCruz465

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Cruz
that's actually a really good idea! I'll definitely look into that. I have a taco extended cab with a roofnest camper. well the camper is on its way! I'm exited to put it to use.
thanks for the advice.

Reactions: RoarinRow

HaroldCruz465

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Cruz
hahaha! you have a good point.. I do that at work all the time. I work in the woods lol you get creative and pretty good at that.
Nice! thanks

HaroldCruz465

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Cruz
I was looking into something along those lines. I hear ya! It's unfortunate some campers out there don't have proper camping Etiquette.
thanks for the input.

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

1) Popup changing tent
2) Any portable cassette toilet (either ones that you drop a wag bag into, or a chem toilet)

Both toilets have worked for me with a changing tent.

HaroldCruz465

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Cruz
1) Popup changing tent
2) Any portable cassette toilet (either ones that you drop a wag bag into, or a chem toilet)

Both toilets have worked for me with a changing tent.
I've been looking around and it is looking like that is probably one of the best options. thanks

Reactions: OLgadgets

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

So I just bought a privacy tent for bathroom use and showering mainly for the wife but I definitely won’t mind having it. That a shovel to dig and hole and a 5gallon bucket with the bottom mostly cutoff .

Reactions: HaroldCruz465

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

I've been looking around and it is looking like that is probably one of the best options. thanks
One more thing I wanted to share with you on why I'm using a chem toilet now vs. my old toilet which I used double doodie bags on was that those bags were getting costly and in the course of a year I realized I had spent more than the cost of a chem toilet, which only requires water and 1 packet of aqua chem per trip (which only costs $10 for a whole bag full, enough for one year). Whereas, when I was buying the double doodie waste bags, I was using 3-4 per trip at a cost of $2 per bag, but a box of 6 bags cost $12. With 10 trips per year, the cost of bags amounted to $60-$80 on top of the cost of the toilet. However, my chem toilet was only $80 with a $10 chem pack cost per year. So from a cost-value perspective, it was a better long term sensible option for me. Hope that helps.

Reactions: JPM78130

Rick Pfadt

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Norco, CA, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Pfadt
Member #

I've been using a chem toilet for years and tired of the extra weight, mess, and smell. I ordered a cleanwaste setup today. I'm hoping this will work better in our Jeep and teardrop setup with the popup privy. We'll see.

Rick Pfadt

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Norco, CA, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Pfadt
Member #

I've been using a chem toilet for years and tired of the extra weight, mess, and smell. I ordered a cleanwaste setup today. I'm hoping this will work better in our Jeep and teardrop setup with the popup privy. We'll see.

Reactions: OLgadgets

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Buddy of mine bought one of those as well, but he still uses the double doodie bags with it, which is what makes more costly. But boy, are those storage friendly and easy to tote around, even if it's just to find a place to use it.

Reactions: Rick Pfadt

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Last weekend while camping in the Sierras we ran across multiple fields of toilet paper flowers within a short distance of camp (and a lake). It was disgusting. Even if you bury solid waste animals or snow/rain can cause it to get unearthed eventually. I strongly urge everyone to pack out your solid waste.

Some of my friends have the PETT toilet and a tent, and that setup works great for them. You can build a cheaper option by using a 5 gallon bucket, a garbage bag, and "poo powder". Both options are easy to use and keep the campsite clean for the next person.