AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Lots of answers to this question in the Overland Gear, Overland Navigation section of the forums.

You might want to clarify if you want a dedicated GPS or are willing to use a smartphone or tablet.

Reactions: Steve

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

I use a galaxy tab a (8 inch screen)
Mounted that to the CD Player CD Mount.jpg
I use a few different GPS apps: Backcountry Navigator, Avenza maps, Custom Maps.
A friend really likes the GIAA maps, so I might test that one out.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I've been using an old iPad 3 with maps.me and cheap mount off Amazon. Works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Maverick1701

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tiedemann
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KBG
I also like to work on a budget.

For road routes I use a Garmin Nuvi 260W. They run around $25-40 on eBay and are rock solid (one of my three 260Ws is almost 10 years old and still rocking along perfectly)

For off-road navigation (and uploading my own tracks), I use an old google nexus 7 tablet to run GaiaGPS. The nexus 7 tablets run around $40-$60 on eBay. If I had an android cell phone I would just use gaiaGPS on my cell....but I have a windows phone.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I also like to work on a budget.

For road routes I use a Garmin Nuvi 260W. They run around $25-40 on eBay and are rock solid (one of my three 260Ws is almost 10 years old and still rocking along perfectly)

For off-road navigation (and uploading my own tracks), I use an old google nexus 7 tablet to run GaiaGPS. The nexus 7 tablets run around $40-$60 on eBay. If I had an android cell phone I would just use gaiaGPS on my cell....but I have a windows phone.
Running the same Nexus setup for the past year and it get it done for my needs. GaiaGPS is great.

nomnot62

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bellah
Member #

I've used the Garmin 60 series for a long time. Right now it's a 60S. I like the fact it's easy to carry when I wander away from the truck to explore. The only downside is as I get older the smaller screen can be a challenge for vehicle navigation. I was gifted an Ipad 10.5 so I am looking into navigation apps for it. Will still carry my handheld Garmin though.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
We run a number of GPS / Mapping Tech.
Tom Tom for day to day in UK and Europe but useless east of Turkey.
Garmin for free open source mapping and back up.
Iphone / Ipad with google maps for up to date online mapping and maps.me for remote locations and offline maps.

We also always have a suitable paper map as blindly following tech gives you know sense of location and route taken. Also we track and update our routes on the paper maps.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I run a Garmin Oregon 450 with either purchased Garmin maps or free OpenStreetMaps. Paper maps are always with us as well. The Oregon 450 is a bit small for the vehicle, but it’s a good “all-rounder” - we use it for hiking and marine as well.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Just Gaia/Avenza/BackCountry Navigator on an android tablet.
Maybe google maps to find something, but I am good with maps so I don't use anything to tell me where I am going.
My wife on the other hand..... :smirk:

Reactions: Eder