Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
I’m debating between the DJI Mini 3 pro and the Mavic 3. I’m new to photography/drones, so I’m not really sure which way I should go here. Any suggestions?

VAGentleman

Rank I

Contributor II

Frisco, Denton County, Texas, United States
First Name
Lance
Last Name
Koth
DJI website gives a good comparison of features. My advice to drone purchasers is “don’t spend more than you are willing to lose.” You can get great quality from inexpensive equipment. Look for how you want to shoot and how far will it fly and not lose video signal. That has been my decision maker. I don’t think you can go wrong with DJI.

Reactions: GunRunnersActual

dboy

Rank III

Traveler III

Oregon
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Jaquith
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7LDA
DJI Mini 3 Pro looks incredible. I'm using the Mavic mini at the moment but will upgrade to that one someday.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We are currently using the Mavic Air 2, found it to be more stable in higher winds than the mini and longer / more stable transmission range. only 2 issues with it so far. 1. batteries seem to lose one level / bar of life when left in box for a while, Just have to remeber to top off before a trip. 2. due to pilot error trying to fly through a tight space in low light, managed to hit a wall and break the gimble off. do not carry DJI refresh service so had to pay out of pocket for repair, also discovered lack of DJI service centers with a long lead time to repair. Found a local shop that did the repair installing a new camera and gimble while I waited for $400 which is less than replacing the drone body.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I have a dji phantom 4, not the one you're considering however wanted to chime in that I've gone through 3 batteries (@ $180 each). Research proper charging/storing if you aren't already familiar and you'll enjoy the hell outta it

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I bought a used Mavic Air 1 - it works well. Batteries are beginning to be an issue for but that is it. Quality is very good and they are easy to fly - as to the Mini or Air they both seem to do just fine

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Skydio 2 is amazing!!!
Depending on your use case of course....
But for me all I wanted was a flying GoPRO type thing what I DIDN'T have to spend all my brain cells flying. I love that I can hand launch from my van window, have it follow me through canyons, trees and switchbacks and all I have is a little remote in my left hand to give it some basic instructions now and then.
Camera quality is great but the self flying AI is insanely good.

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
So, I think the DJI Mini 3 is the play for me for now based on it not needing a FAA license, more affordable. Maybe in the future I’ll consider the Skydio or Mavic as an upgrade. The Skydio is very interesting with it’s tracking ability.

Do you all think the DJI remote with built in screen is worth it over the regular remote you plug your phone into?

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I have the remote/screen option and like it a lot. It's great to have one single piece of equipment. I cut a piece of cardboard to act as a sunscreen for clearer viewing on bright days.

The screen is also touch compatible with all the controls at a fingers access. Would recommend