Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
I recently got a question on where to start with HAM from a new member to our local crew. I figured I share with the broader OB audience as it hopefully helps somebody else. Now this is just my point of view. Please chime in with any comments you may have

Question:
I’m a new member and not sure where to post my question about ham radios. I’m considering getting one and wondering if a handheld would be sufficient or if I should look and a permanent installation on my 4Runner. I would prefer a non-permanent solution but I’m not sure what the cons would be. And are there any particular brands that I should research?

I know this could be an intimidating topic, so good that you ask, a couple of quick guides - def reach out at the next meetup to others as it will help

1) we do use HAM frequencies in our group so definitely get a HAM radio not a CB radio

2) a handheld is definitely good enough to start out with and it does the job - The Baofeng UVR5 type (I have 2 of these) are cheap and get you started. (BTW: I personally did start that way, by now I have a fixed unit and 2 handhelds)

3) the key to make it work is a good antenna !!!! So Immediately at least change it to a longer WHIP or even better get a mag-mount that you can plug on the roof when in use

4) HAM license - good post here one how to get it How To Get Your Amateur Radio License In 5 Days

5) once you get more serious you'll likely start getting into a more permanent install not only of the radio, but also an external speaker, antenna, control panel, power etc. That is the moment you likely will want to look at a mobile station - for Reference I have a Yaesu FTM400 - but that was full overkill as we really don't use a lot of the features

6) Brands
- well the Baofengs are the cheap ones (Handhelds work good enough to start for what we do)
- the widely known ones are Yaesu, Kenwood and ICON
but there are definitely others worthwhile as well

Hope this helps

@TrailHawkGuy

Last edited:

Grey Hawk

Rank III

Explorer I

San Dimas, California, United States
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Melton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WSR / WRUE697
Service Branch
Ex-LEO, EMT, SAR
Check with any local ham radio clubs. They are often have ham radio license classes and tests for very little money. That way you are legal.
We usually use GMRS when we are out and about, so check into that also, license is $35 and no test.
Regards,
Dennis

oldsoldier181

Rank IV

Influencer II

Ayer, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
I recently got a question on where to start with HAM from a new member to our local crew. I figured I share with the broader OB audience as it hopefully helps somebody else. Now this is just my point of view. Please chime in with any comments you may have

Question:

I know this could be an intimidating topic, so good that you ask, a couple of quick guides - def reach out at the next meetup to others as it will help

1) we do use HAM frequencies in our group so definitely get a HAM radio not a CB radio

2) a handheld is definitely good enough to start out with and it does the job - The Baofeng UVR5 type (I have 2 of these) are cheap and get you started. (BTW: I personally did start that way, by now I have a fixed unit and 2 handhelds)

3) the key to make it work is a good antenna !!!! So Immediately at least change it to a longer WHIP or even better get a mag-mount that you can plug on the roof when in use

4) HAM license - good post here one how to get it How To Get Your Amateur Radio License In 5 Days

5) once you get more serious you'll likely start getting into a more permanent install not only of the radio, but also an external speaker, antenna, control panel, power etc. That is the moment you likely will want to look at a mobile station - for Reference I have a Yaesu FTM400 - but that was full overkill as we really don't use a lot of the features

6) Brands
- well the Baofengs are the cheap ones (Handhelds work good enough to start for what we do)
- the widely known ones are Yaesu, Kenwood and ICON
but there are definitely others worthwhile as well

Hope this helps

@TrailHawkGuy
So, my $0.02, for what they are worth:
an HT works great short distance. But, not in a vehicle. Essentially, you are in a Faraday cage, and your Rx/Tx will suffer accordingly. That being said, a HT is a definite must, and the baofeng is the cheap and easy route. I started with the UV5r as many others did. I have the waterproof UV9r Pro now as my HT. Its ok, but its water resistant, which is what I was really after. The HT works great LOS, for things like working parades, etc. Sometimes I can hit a repeater tower, and thats nice. I replaced the antenna with a decent, longer one (forgot the name), and that helps some. Additionally, I can plug my vehicle antenna into it, which greatly increases range-but, I also have a mobile, so....
My mobile is a Yaesu FTM 400. Great radio, gets good reception, easy to use. Mine is mounted on the passenger side of the divider. The faceplate I keep in my center console, out of sight, unless I am using it. IMHO, I think having a mobile radio is far superior. You get more power, better range, and the mic is simple to use.

KC1WTR

Reactions: SkunkedGorilla