Where to Spare?

• HTML tutorial

BigJoe1960

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

A little input please. I'm in the process of replacing my front and rear bumpers on my Chevy 2500 HD. After a 5 inch lift and 35x12.50 R20 Nitto Trails, I need input on where to put my spare (daily driver too).
My first thought would be an integrated rear bumper with swing spare. I will be towing a caravan for most extended adventures and have thoughts of a rack system too on the bed.
Any sites, manufacturer or product suggestion would be appreciated.

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

How much does that tire wheel combo weigh? And will you have extra muscle to load it? Reminds me of a (bad) country song where it said "how bigga boy are ya".

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

Well 80lb is doable. I have a buddy, 2 days before an overland competition, fell trying to load his 100lb spare up top. He still went but was in pain, partly because I got to do alot of the driving. I have a back that is pretty fragile, my spare hangs on a swingout on my bumper.

Reactions: BigJoe1960

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

80 lbs doesn't sound like much but it is. The lower on the vehicle you keep the weight the better it will handle both on and off road. My tire is on the rear door of my suv.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I am in pretty good shape, and loading a filled ~57lb water box onto the roof rack was a huge pain. I can't imagine trying to put an 80lb wheel and tire combo up there! It 100% solidified my intent to keep the spare under tbe vehicle, which at this point actually means deflating it and wrapping a wratcheting strap around it to make it fit haha.

But yeah, the lower, the better, as far as I'm concerned!

Overlanding Downunder

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Comollatti
Member #

I am in pretty good shape, and loading a filled ~57lb water box onto the roof rack was a huge pain. I can't imagine trying to put an 80lb wheel and tire combo up there! It 100% solidified my intent to keep the spare under tbe vehicle, which at this point actually means deflating it and wrapping a wratcheting strap around it to make it fit haha.

But yeah, the lower, the better, as far as I'm concerned!
Steal or Alloy rim?

I rotated my steal wheels about a month ago and used the spares (2), One spare that was mounted under the vehicle was covered with stone chips in the paint after a trip to Cape York.

I was wondering how some of the alloy rims would handle the constant bombardment of stones/rocks from just normal dirt road driving.

Colin

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

My intent is to mount it face-up if I can. I am also consideting making a steel skid plate to mount to the surface, which will also protect the tire from tears. They are 16x8 alloys.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

My intent is to mount it face-up if I can. I am also consideting making a steel skid plate to mount to the surface, which will also protect the tire from tears. They are 16x8 alloys.
Whats your thoughts on the skid plate for it? I was just thinking that now. This has been a huge discussion in my head since I had the 4 runner. I feel like with the 4Runner the tire on the back makes it look good. I feel like the Tacoma without anything coming above the Tire looks silly. So aesthetics mean something to me but also functionality and purpose. I assume the weight being moved matters, both on and offroad and that concerns me as well. But also like stated is functionality. Access under the bed could be more difficult depending on the situation.

I'll be following and also just throwing my input in with that to hopefully help provoke more discussion, I am a novice at this and mechanics in general, so for me i feel liek it shouldnt be moved i'll throw off weight or center gravity of vehicle. I am sure I am wrong but I do not know the difference.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I would put the spare under the bed in the stock location. I have a short bed F150, I was able to fit a 285/65R20 in the stock spot. That is basically a narrow 35.

What is the max stock tire size on a 2500? I know the f250 can come with 275/65r20 which is a 34, so a 35 can usually squeeze in the same location.