Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

When thinking or planning a trip. Do you plan the route stick to? Jut ay hey that area of the map looks cool, Ithink I’ll head in that direction? Or something else? Do you wander, explore random roads. What about gates.? Me I just pick a spot look at it on google earth and head in that direction ? What about you all?

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

When thinking or planning a trip. Do you plan the route stick to? Jut ay hey that area of the map looks cool, Ithink I’ll head in that direction? Or something else? Do you wander, explore random roads. What about gates.? Me I just pick a spot look at it on google earth and head in that direction ? What about you all?
I usually first pick an area I want to explore. Then I search what's good in that area, how long it will take, and create a tentative route.
But often following that route, I find things that I didn't find before and so then I decide if it's worth to change the route or stick with it.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
I usually need at least some plan of a route. I'd hate to get hours away and have no viable place to explore.

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

How d you pick the area in the first place ? Something you heard about or maybe found on google earth ? There are so many choices out there. Sometimes I just go in a general direction and pick a dirt road.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Just look on the map for big green areas is one. Google off-road trails in xxxx area. YouTube videos, the forums, generally that's enough to get you started.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Sometimes trips are planned sometimes we just go try to get lost. First figure out where you want to go next find out if the area is open to public access then go. Sometimes areas are closed that seem open and vice versa. If in america and going to a national forrest check the mvum they are usually accurate or the nf visitor map which ive found more useful. It usually takes a bit of research if you dont want to tresspass. If your going to just be running around on county backroads or farm to market roads no map is really needed unless you have a route you really want to take or your really bad at figuring out direction by sun, moon or compass.