Enthusiast II

Gainesville, Alachua County, Florida, United States
First Name
Arman
Last Name
Serrano
Member #

Hello brothers and sisters.

My trip from FL to western region is getting closer. I'm planning to stay close to Arches and CanyonLands, Utah and then stay at Withmore canyon campground - Toroweep Overlook area. I'll head to Las Vegas, why not? I'll be near and I never been there. Latet on, I'll be going to DV and camp there if is not too hot.

My questions are,
Can I night camp anywhere near Arches-Canyonlands? Any special permit?
Can I night camp anywhere near Withmore camp- Toroweep Overlook area? Any special permit?
I made some research and just found vague answers.

I'll appreciate your helps guys

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

FYI ,
Death Valley will be 125 in a few days and low about 97 and Vegas about 110 and 80 maybe.

I am in Central Az. and its average about 90 right now. So I would be careful in the lower desert and really watch the Southwest temps.

I camped in Canyonlands a few weeks back, a few miles east and there are lots of areas outside the National Park. Same with the Northern road into Canyonlands just north of Moab (131?). But Moab is running about 105 right now.

I just jumped around Colorado for a few week camping about 8000 or so and it was nice there while 90 down below.

Have fun!

Reactions: AW Overland

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
yeah, getting information is a bit of a pain in the ass, like @Things , we were also at moab and canyonlands about 6 weeks ago and there was boondocking scattered around. right outside of moab going toward canyonlands on hwy 191, we saw numerous rigs boondocking right off the highway and they all had atvs and looked to be hanging out there for a while. that was past the arches a few miles. we had our teardrop and brother-in-law had a bigger camp trailer, so we just took a paid camp site just outside of canyonlands so they had a decent spot. once you get on the road to canyonlands, hwy 313, there is also boondocking. there is a dirt road on the right that goes way back and had boondockers scattered all over...i think it was called dubinky well road. we went back in there and the road was pretty rough, but doable with a small trailer. i forgot the name of the road, but it was on the right hand side right before getting to horse thief camp ground. probably about 10 miles or so before the park entrance. the wife just used her iphone and typed in BLM camping and we found all of our spots that way. and yes, it will be freaking HOT.

if you are going to vegas, you might want to take the route that goes thru escalante and down to bryce and zion and then that puts you on the highway to vegas. about 3 miles north of escalante, there is a dirt road that goes all the way to lake meade and has some really good boondocking areas all along the way. we did a couple nights there right off the highway and it was nice. we got up on a hill and had a good breeze. there was also some great hiking on that road...go about 20 miles east on it and there are places to park and hike. there are several places called peek-a-boos where you walk thru canyons about 5 feet wide and 60 feet deep. pretty cool to see.

utah is pretty cool and has more boondocking than anywhere else i've been...its just hard to get info. we actually stopped at a visitor center at escalante and asked the lady there about boondocking, which was about 3 miles away and she said she didnt know about any boondocking other than in arizona. i think the gene pool in that area is about as bad as it here in the swamps....seems most of the locals didnt know much or didnt want to share info. we found most of what we did by accident. just keep your eyes open and you'll see people camped off the main road and you can just follow the road and find you a spot. no permits. we just camped where ever and never once even saw a ranger.

there was also a lot of boondocking around bryce. we found a great area about 8 miles southwest of the bryce entrance. it went for miles and had a LOT of people boondocking back in there.

also, if you go to the arches...go late. it kept getting closed around 10am due to overcrowding. we went at 6pm and it was a lot cooler and less crowded. it was actually better seeing it at sunset. it is open 24 hrs, so you can go in whenever you want and after it closes, there isnt anyone there to take money, so it is basically free.

there will be a LOT of people to deal with and it will also be VERY HOT...take lots of alcohol...you'll need it!

Last edited:

AW Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Gainesville, Alachua County, Florida, United States
First Name
Arman
Last Name
Serrano
Member #

yeah, getting information is a bit of a pain in the ass, like @Things , we were also at moab and canyonlands about 6 weeks ago and there was boondocking scattered around. right outside of moab going toward canyonlands on hwy 191, we saw numerous rigs boondocking right off the highway and they all had atvs and looked to be hanging out there for a while. that was past the arches a few miles. we had our teardrop and brother-in-law had a bigger camp trailer, so we just took a paid camp site just outside of canyonlands so they had a decent spot. once you get on the road to canyonlands, hwy 313, there is also boondocking. there is a dirt road on the right that goes way back and had boondockers scattered all over...i think it was called dubinky well road. we went back in there and the road was pretty rough, but doable with a small trailer. i forgot the name of the road, but it was on the right hand side right before getting to horse thief camp ground. probably about 10 miles or so before the park entrance. the wife just used her iphone and typed in BLM camping and we found all of our spots that way. and yes, it will be freaking HOT.

if you are going to vegas, you might want to take the route that goes thru escalante and down to bryce and zion and then that puts you on the highway to vegas. about 3 miles north of escalante, there is a dirt road that goes all the way to lake meade and has some really good boondocking areas all along the way. we did a couple nights there right off the highway and it was nice. we got up on a hill and had a good breeze. there was also some great hiking on that road...go about 20 miles east on it and there are places to park and hike. there are several places called peek-a-boos where you walk thru canyons about 5 feet wide and 60 feet deep. pretty cool to see.

utah is pretty cool and has more boondocking than anywhere else i've been...its just hard to get info. we actually stopped at a visitor center at escalante and asked the lady there about boondocking, which was about 3 miles away and she said she didnt know about any boondocking other than in arizona. i think the gene pool in that area is about as bad as it here in the swamps....seems most of the locals didnt know much or didnt want to share info. we found most of what we did by accident. just keep your eyes open and you'll see people camped off the main road and you can just follow the road and find you a spot. no permits. we just camped where ever and never once even saw a ranger.

there was also a lot of boondocking around bryce. we found a great area about 8 miles southwest of the bryce entrance. it went for miles and had a LOT of people boondocking back in there.

also, if you go to the arches...go late. it kept getting closed around 10am due to overcrowding. we went at 6pm and it was a lot cooler and less crowded. it was actually better seeing it at sunset. it is open 24 hrs, so you can go in whenever you want and after it closes, there isnt anyone there to take money, so it is basically free.

there will be a LOT of people to deal with and it will also be VERY HOT...take lots of alcohol...you'll need it!

Bro awesome informations! I'll check on the map and make ping points to get there

Reactions: grubworm