Where is member number?

• HTML tutorial

Russmann442

Rank 0

Traveler I

Salem
oh now I get it. Why is it that every overland group, and only overland groups require you to pay to be a member? None of my other cars groups require paying to participate. Really makes me want to just wheel on my own.

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

It's a small amount for the access and information that you get. I'm new as of this week and didnt feel that it was unreasonable at all. To each their own. There are many other paid membership groups out there outside of the overland community as well.

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

Oh and one of my old college roommates lives in Salem, was just out there recently. Nice area!

Russmann442

Rank 0

Traveler I

Salem
I'm glad to know you feel it is warranted. I havent spent much time seeing what membership actually gets you. I just logged on for the first time and was immediately presented with something saying I had to pay to be a member. Im a part of a lot of groups, from other car types (classic trucks, imports, Gambler 500, 4x4 groups) to glassblowing, wood working, gardening and none of them require payment. The 4x4 groups have huge amounts of information of builds, routes, maps, ect, and don't ask for anything. The gardening groups have free monthly workshops and trails cleanups and campouts.... I guess I need to find out what membership really gets you and if it's worth it because its not worth $20 to me just to post in the forum. I only joined this forum because I saw the app on google play and wanted to check it out.

Reactions: flyingnome

flyingnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Boise, ID
Member #

For me I figured two trips to Starbucks with the wife covered my 1 time membership fee. And since then I have had access to maps routes and getting to know a few people here on the forum that share a passion for this silly hobby that we all love. It is more than just posting for me, there is a wealth of knowledge but again I am pretty green here and to the 4x4 world in general. Another page I was part of on an aircraft forum had yearly dues not just one time.

There is a lot of free content as well just depends on what's important to you for your 20 bucks.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I joined not because of what I got from OB, but because I saw it as a worthwhile organization to support. It’s been so long since I joined I can’t even remember what it cost...less than $30 I believe. And no annual renewal? Hardly a financial sacrifice and I count the friendships and the advice I found here well worth the investment. That said, I believe I stalked the forum for months, participating in discussions and posts months before I actually decided to join. My only regret being waiting too long to get a member number under 1000.

Reactions: flyingnome

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Just to be clear, to participate in the forums and in most meetups and runs you do not need to have a paid membership. The FB groups and several "hidden" forums here are exclusive to the paid members, but I would say that 90% of the information you seek is outside of those areas anyway. That being said, I made the choice to become a paid member because I want to support Overland Bound as an organization and the spirit of exploration it embodies.

The cost of a paid membership (which is rather low) provides you with a very nicely crafted metal badge, access to the FB groups and those forums, and the peace of mind knowing that you are helping to keep Overland Bound going.

You will notice that, unlike most hobby forums, this site is not inundated with sponsor advertisements. I participated in the JK-Forums for many years... but I seldom go there now because of the obnoxious amount of advertising there.