Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Chaney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WFI
One thing I always try to remember is inexpensive doesn't always mean cheap and cheap doesn't always mean inexpensive. Like most here, boots, tires and brakes are at the top of the list but I'll also add fluids to the list too. I know what I like, I've done the research and will use it until I find something either substantially better or same and costing less. My grandpa taught me "you can do it right the first time or do it twice" and man has his words rang true. So if I can do it, I'll do it, if I'm not sure I'll do it right, it's time to learn or seek a professional. Lastly is maintenance on my rig and gear. I'm lazy by nature but I'll do my best to make sure the truck is properly serviced, bolts are tight and the gear is properly taken care of. It drives my friend crazy I take so long on my pre checks but I won't compromise on that.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Safety Gear is high on the list for me. Fire extinguishers and first aid supplies/training are the obvious ones, but there are other areas about safety that are worth considering - for instance, I consider a bull bar/front end protection to be safety gear, even though that’s not usually how they are discussed (more likely to be talked about as armour or recovery gear).

And to be clear I’m not trying to be ‘holier than thou’ — when I was younger, I did a ton of stuff that was probably unsafe and I wrongly attributed my good luck in avoiding a serious issue to skill. Now that I’m older I know my luck won’t last forever so I’ve been a lot less compromising on safety products, especially with a family involved.

Edit: But I’m still young enough to make dumb mistakes sometimes, otherwise life gets boring ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Highplainsdrifter

Highplainsdrifter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

Whiskey once left a tent while backpacking to make room for for a bottle and also tools and a tow strap and I do not buy cheap tools suspension or fluids for my vehicle if I am going way out and trusting it to get me there and back I would hate to have saved money up front and then be paying later I could have gotten a lift and tires for my Tacoma years ago but waited until I could get quality suspension and tires not saying you cant make due with what you have we all have are budget but you want the best you can afford

Attachments

theoriginalgiga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Chaney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WFI
Whiskey once left a tent while backpacking to make room for for a bottle and also tools and a tow strap and I do not buy cheap tools suspension or fluids for my vehicle if I am going way out and trusting it to get me there and back I would hate to have saved money up front and then be paying later I could have gotten a lift and tires for my Tacoma years ago but waited until I could get quality suspension and tires not saying you cant make due with what you have we all have are budget but you want the best you can afford
Ahh Glennfiddich is a fine whiskey, my goto was glenlivet for a long time

5280firstgen

Rank I

Contributor III

Arvada, Colorado
First Name
WILLIAM
Last Name
GRANT
Member #

Where do stoves fall in this spectrum for you guys? I see tons of Colemen price point products, but I also see Partner at 3x the price?
Appreciate the feedback....

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'm in mid Ohio, travel to Florida a lot. We obviously don't cook much. We love to partake in the local foods.

When we do cook it's Mountain House, Stove top, Lipton, Cold cuts, etc. etc. So we use a simple Pepsi can stove. A sheet metal fire ring and a coat hanger serve as a pot holder and wind block. No jets, no fuel system, no failures ever. Whole kit weighs less than a bottle of soda, and costs nothing.

Otherwise, MSR makes some nice stoves.

We're also setup to cook over a camp fire as well. We don't generally camp where fires aren't allowed.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

As stoves go, I think it has more to due with preference and intended use rather than price.

Do you need something ultralight for hiking or just compact enough for limited cargo space? Do you see the appeal in a full propane oven to go with your Dometic fridge or are you cool with cold cuts and a Dutch oven in the camp fire? Do you have on board propane or are you using disposable canisters or white fuel?

It all cooks. Price differences have more to do with quality of materials (for longevity and serviceability) and support from the manufacturer. In which case, that's also preference.

I bring a rack for campfire cooking but I also have a GasOne dual fuel single burner that works killer for my needs when a fire isn't feasible.

Note: On the subject of cooking to go along with the original post, water purification is my highest tier of no compromise. Never cheap out on water quality.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Holy Sentence Batman... That was a tough one to figure out. lol I refuse to compromise on liberal usage of commas and periods. haha jk jk
But yeah, true on the bottle though!

Last edited:

Highplainsdrifter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

Holy Sentence Batman... That was a tough one to figure out. lol I refuse to compromise on liberal usage of commas and periods. haha
But yeah, true on the bottle though!
Thank you for pointing that out

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Ya'll might laugh but after thinking about this...toilet tissue. Got to be strong and soft and preferable single layer. I don't have a parachute but if I did I wouldn't skimp on that either.

Reactions: Highplainsdrifter

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Sleep comfort.
If there's one thing that will spoil a trip for me it's if I can't get a good (or at least comfortable) sleep. When with the family, we set up the Gazelle T4+ and with air mattress and pillows from home. As a backup, I never go without my hammock setup and will have a spot picked out before the sun goes down. Even as a youngster I never liked sleeping on the ground and that certainly hasn't changed as I tack on years.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

I don't cheap out on maintenance and fluids/parts for the truck. I do it all myself, make sure every fluid is changed on time, fittings greased, filters changed, suspension inspected, anything that needs to be replaced is replaced. Tires I also feel are a good investment. Other than that it's all a risk/benefit decision regarding money.