Where Do You Go to Discuss Deleted Threads

• HTML tutorial

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Perhaps Steve, if you deleted the posts, you could explain why? They were two different issues. The fact that something has been posted previously on this forum is an excuse to delete anything related seems counterproductive to me. I see where you refer new posters to previous threads regularly. I'm not sure what the point is. If a post is responded to in a positive way, it is valid. It has value regardless. Look at my stats, any value there? At some point everything will have been touched on here, then what ? I would not have done this publicly if I could have figured out where to get in touch with mods. Maybe not, sometimes throwing a light makes sense.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Perhaps Steve, if you deleted the posts, you could explain why?
Hi @buckwilk,

Yes, I deleted two of your posts last evening. You started a new thread titled "Plow Disk Cooking" yesterday. Somehow, three identical threads were created; exact same wording, and in the same subforum. One of them already had a reply, and the other two did not. So I deleted the two duplicates. In the process, I noted in the reason for deletion that you received as "Deleted two duplicate threads."

Overland Base Camp Gear | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY.jpg

I see where you refer new posters to previous threads regularly. I'm not sure what the point is.
You say that as if it were a bad thing? Yes, I frequently reply to new members with links to existing threads when they ask about a topic. It is even likely that I replied to you when you joined the forum last month, if you asked a question about an existing topic. I don't see how this is pointless. New members don't know the ins and outs of our not-so-helpful search feature, and I tend easily to remember older threads, so I point to them as courtesy. Many forums I've belonged to would be rude and say something like "Do a search, newb!" That won't be the case here on Overland Bound. And new members seem to differ with your opinion that it is pointless if the "thanks" I've received for doing so are any indication.

Look at my stats, any value there?
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this question in the context of the rest of the paragraph. Please elaborate?

I would not have done this publicly if I could have figured out where to get in touch with mods
To contact a member privately, simply click on their name or avatar, and then click "Start a conversation". Or you could have clicked on my name in the deletion notification and done the same. Or click the member tab above and go to the "Staff" tab.

But I'm glad that you called me out publicly, as I hope that my reply shows that we are trying to be helpful and transparent in all of our activity here on the forum and elsewhere. If you would like to continue this conversation, you are welcome to do so here or privately.

Regards,
Steve

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

You say that as if it were a bad thing? Yes, I frequently reply to new members with links to existing threads when they ask about a topic. It is even likely that I replied to you when you joined the forum last month, if you asked a question about an existing topic. I don't see how this is pointless. New members don't know the ins and outs of our not-so-helpful search feature, and I tend easily to remember older threads, so I point to them as courtesy. Many forums I've belonged to would be rude and say something like "Do a search, newb!" That won't be the case here on Overland Bound. And new members seem to differ with your opinion that it is pointless if the "thanks" I've received for doing so are any indication.

Regards,
Steve
First, understand I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't care,
However, I think what he is trying to say is, eventually every subject will get covered, and everything will get said. So, a search of a subject will show a previous thread, with multiple pages, and no real reason to leave a comment or continue the discussion of the subject.
At that point a forum becomes stale and BORING, because what keeps a forum relevant is new threads, new content, new members discussing things, even if they were discussed many moons ago.
Yes, there is a segment of members that don't want to see new members create new threads, and discuss the same old thing over and over.
But that is what keeps a forum fresh, and really, what I find is those members that don't like new threads starting is because they want the glory of THEIR thread to not be overshadowed, and they want the forum to be just their click of OG members. They want the forum to be their own personal little club.
Now, you probably will disagree with my viewpoint, but like I said at the start of my post, I don't really have a dog in this, and I don't care one way or another.
Ive been a member of MANY different forums over the years, and Ive seen forums grow stale, and Ive even seen forums die because of it.
Some forums are interesting and you have to go to them everyday to see what is going on. Some forums you go to every few days because there isn't much action, some forums you visit every once in awhile because nothing much is going on, you can't get the membership to interact, and some forums you eventually delete off your favorites list because there is just nothing happening. And some forums become a sort of encyclopedia of information, where they have a place on the web, but there is no action. You can google those and use the search to find info.