Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Huntley, IL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Daley
Member #

Hey all, I’m new to overlanding and haven’t really upgraded my rig yet. I’m looking for places to go, in or near, northern illinois or southern Wisconsin. My rig is a 2005 Honda Pilot AWD. My tires are Bridgestone Dueler HT’s, basically street tires. Hoping to upgrade those to a good AT tire soon.

Just an update 07/12/21 *
I’ve traded in my Honda for a full size. 2021 Dodge RAM 1500 Big Horn with 5.7 HEMI and eTorque.

Last edited:
Reactions: CR-Venturer

samuraj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

chicago
First Name
adam
Last Name
adam
Member #

i like to know the same .........
just by googling , there is nothin worth the driving in 500 miles range .
soo... smokey mountain or colorado.
maybe devils lake campground ?

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

Hey all, I’m new to overlanding and haven’t really upgraded my rig yet. I’m looking for places to go, in or near, northern illinois or southern Wisconsin. My rig is a 2005 Honda Pilot AWD. My tires are Bridgestone Dueler HT’s, basically street tires. Hoping to upgrade those to a good AT tire soon.
DSC_0128.JPG
Unfortunately Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin have very little to offer, other than a few nice State Parks. However, 4 hours will get you to the National Forests of Northern Wisconsin. 5-6 hours will get you to Michigan's AWESOME U.P. 7-8 hours drive will get you to one of our favorites; The Land Between The Lakes in western Kentucky. 10 hours away is some fantastic scenery and camping in western Nebraska and South Dakota. 10-12 hours will lead you to the mountains of Tennessee and Georgia.

So you see, there may not be anything right in your backyard but, like spokes of a wheel, you can get to somewhere very cool within a few hours or a day of driving. Remember, overlanding isn't about the destination, it's about the journey getting there (and back).

Reactions: Flynn