Where can I get a 12V refrigerator repaired?

• HTML tutorial

TomInOregon

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Moss
Service Branch
USMC
I have a 90L National Luna refrigerator/freezer that is long out of warranty. There is a known defect with poor braising on the cooling coils that allows the R134A to leak out. Mine has this problem. Now my question is where should I look to get it repaired? There is a (semi) local National Luna dealer, but he only does sales, not repairs. The local reputable RV sales/service dealer will only troubleshoot down to confirming that it does or doesn't work. They suggested a specialty refrigeration repair place, but they troubleshot to confirm that the compressor works, but the refrigerant has leaked out. They won't or can't find and repair the leak or recharge it.
So, my question now, is what sort of shop should I be looking for to take my refrigerator to have the leak(s) found and repaired, then remove all moisture from the system and recharge it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I would contact the Mfg, for the number of a authorized repair center or availability of an OEM part replacement. A other consideration if it would have to be shipped for repair the cost of repair could exceed the value of your unit. Maybe call a couple HVAC companies for suggestions, one of their techs might do it on the side.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm going over 5 years on mine. Not sure if I would get it repaired when it breaks. A 90L would be real expensive to replace, mines a 50 and when it goes out I'll probably drop its size to something in the 40L range.

Reactions: TomInOregon

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a 90L National Luna refrigerator/freezer that is long out of warranty. There is a known defect with poor braising on the cooling coils that allows the R134A to leak out. Mine has this problem. Now my question is where should I look to get it repaired? There is a (semi) local National Luna dealer, but he only does sales, not repairs. The local reputable RV sales/service dealer will only troubleshoot down to confirming that it does or doesn't work. They suggested a specialty refrigeration repair place, but they troubleshot to confirm that the compressor works, but the refrigerant has leaked out. They won't or can't find and repair the leak or recharge it.
So, my question now, is what sort of shop should I be looking for to take my refrigerator to have the leak(s) found and repaired, then remove all moisture from the system and recharge it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
I would check with any refrigeration shop that works on ice maker machines, smoothie machines like the kind that you see at Circle K, QT, Speedway stores. Those are all small compressor units like the one in your frig/freezer.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I'm not sure where in Oregon you are, but we use an outfit called Coastal Refrigeration to repair these kinds of issues in our kitchen refrigeration units. Just like Graeman said. Happens all the time and really shouldn't be much of an issue, if it's a repairable issue.

TomInOregon

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Moss
Service Branch
USMC
I'm not sure where in Oregon you are, but we use an outfit called Coastal Refrigeration to repair these kinds of issues in our kitchen refrigeration units. Just like Graeman said. Happens all the time and really shouldn't be much of an issue, if it's a repairable issue.
That's what I was thinking, that it should be really easy to get it fixed, but it's been a bunch of roadblocks so far. We will make some more phone calls next week and hopefully find a competent refrigeration technician.

Reactions: Munga Brown

TomInOregon

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Moss
Service Branch
USMC
I would contact the Mfg, for the number of a authorized repair center or availability of an OEM part replacement. A other consideration if it would have to be shipped for repair the cost of repair could exceed the value of your unit. Maybe call a couple HVAC companies for suggestions, one of their techs might do it on the side.
My wife had a conversation with the manufacturer previously and they were referring her to Salt Lake City, Utah. That's not especially practical for us since we are in Oregon. It could be worth paying for a road trip and a couple of nights in a hotel to get it fixed, however. It really seems like leaking refrigerant should be really easy to repair locally, though.

Reactions: Munga Brown

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Maybe an auto HVAC, they have that dye they look for leaks with a blacklight. I had a really hard leak to find in my truck and that is how they found it. Also see if you could get a part number from the Mfg. or an exploded view and do a google search. It might cross to something generic. Their buying them from someone. Good luck.

Retired

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Discovery Bay, CA.
First Name
CJ
Last Name
H.
Member #

Try a local adult school teaching refrigeration or a high school class or even a local union apprenticeship class. They love for people to bring stuff like this in to repair. And you will get it back in better condition than when it arrived. Good luck

TomInOregon

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Moss
Service Branch
USMC
Okay, here's an update. Nobody locally will work on it since it's a closed system. Half of the RV places think it has ammonia in it and refuse to believe it has R134A. The refrigerator people say they can't work on it or charge it since it's a closed system. The authorized dealer in Salt Lake City said that the refrigerators were purchased by Conqueror Australia to go into their trailers, so we will need to contact Conqueror Australia and have them see if they can work something out with National Luna. Like I said, it's long out of warranty, so that's not likely, but we will check with them.
My other dilemma is that I'm not inclined to purchase another refrigerator if they will only last 6-7 years and then be unrepairable. Ours was $1800 list price when new and it was installed in a 2014 Conqueror, so it's probably only 6-7 years old. That's around $300 per year. The new model is $1400-ish when it comes available, but then we will have the same problem of not being able to get it repaired when it breaks. I don't know if any of the other ones out there are repairable (Dometic, Engel, Snomaster, etc.).
Looks like I need to start looking at ice chests. Thank you all for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tom

TomInOregon

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Moss
Service Branch
USMC
And, the final word is that it can't be repaired. The dealer in Salt Lake City will be happy to look at it, but it is almost certainly one of a bad batch that is known for eventually leaking coolant from one of the coils surrounded by insulating foam in between the walls and can't be reasonably reached for repair. So, it looks like a new one for us. Unfortunately, an updated National Luna is the only thing we have found that will fit the slide and space available on our trailer. We will try again and hope the newer one lasts longer than the first.