Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Ok gotcha, i have a problem finding anything aftermarket for my 2017 chevy colorado aswell , ive had to turn to the austrailian, Malaysian and thailand market holden and isuzu d max parts just to find stuff that isnt geared towards the city tuner and sunday driving old guy crowd here in the usa. What is available here for offroad applications is too expensive for my tastes, like the $2000 metal winch bumpers i can get in Australia for less than$300 usd
For Colorado aftermarket support check Midwest Overland Ind, 589 FAB, Supermodulation. There are more everyday. GMPP just released a long travel suspension for the ZR2, it's only 25k. What kind of stuff are you looking for?

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

So I hope I never get to that point...
Before I bought my car, I was thinking about what I would like to do and what vehicle do I need to not break it without making real mistakes...
So I bought the wrangler jk unlimited its getting a bit of protection a bit suspension upgrades for better load handling and smother ride and I put on some good wheels. The rest is complete dedicated to what I need traveling, storage and stuff. People keep asking when I get rid of my ugly plastic bumpers and I really don't no ... They doing the job never had a problem with them so there is no need to replace it.

In your position, just do what your rig can as long as you are satisfied with it, when it gets boring don't put a single cent into upgrades anymore, get rid of it and start something new.
I don't care if anybody says it's not overlanding...

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I would drive it until I actually had a bad thing happen. At that point deal with it. There are so many internet boggie men, if you listened to what’s out there you would only be able to wheel unimogs coated in nerf. As your wheeling evolves then your rig will evolve with it. There will never be a perfect rig.

Every single vehicle has limitations. We all work around them. As long as it suits your needs and stays trail worthy run it. If you see you are going to destroy it switch to a better horse.
Ha that is great nerf coated Unimog love it![emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Before I bought my car, I was thinking about what I would like to do and what vehicle do I need to not break it without making real mistakes...
So I bought the wrangler jk unlimited its getting a bit of protection a bit suspension upgrades for better load handling and smother ride and I put on some good wheels. The rest is complete dedicated to what I need traveling, storage and stuff. People keep asking when I get rid of my ugly plastic bumpers and I really don't no ... They doing the job never had a problem with them so there is no need to replace it.

In your position, just do what your rig can as long as you are satisfied with it, when it gets boring don't put a single cent into upgrades anymore, get rid of it and start something new.
I felt the same. I had a specific goal of wanting to get out on a trail, far enough out to see a full night's stars, and get back safely. I liked the look of my jku and made mods that maintained that look, but just at a "higher volume" if you will. I also had the goal of making most mods with my own hands when possible (I'm a cook, not a fabricator or even skilled).

I didn't like the big plastic bumpers or fenders so that was my first mod, done with a jig saw, a reciprocating saw, plasti dip and a bit of glue. I bought some stubby bumper caps and a bit of door edge protector and upgraded in an afternoon. I gained practical performance, more aggressive look while not standing out. IMG_20180616_125507.jpegIMG_20180616_133327.jpegIMG_20180617_175912.jpegIMG_20180619_182850.jpeg

Reactions: MazeVX

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS

I think my problem was vehicle choice. In the past I had a Jeep and a full size pick up and I took them Offroad but not enough to warrant modifying them. I then bought a car and did the race car thing for a couple years and then came back to a Jeep but I didn’t think I needed something like s wrangler. After buying my cherokee, I got really into off-roading and overlanding and my needs have since changed. But hey. It’s a learning experience. I’m sure my next vehicle will be a jku or even a JLU. Who knows

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I did the performance and showcar thing for almost 18 years the last years I did only dB drag competitions.
The idea for a offroader has grown for 5 years, so I had quite some time to think about what I want and why, the strict regulations for street legal cars let me choose the solid front axle, otherwise I would have build something prerunner style, wide track front and stuff like this

Reactions: 76_overlander

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

I sadly just had to make this decision. I had rebuilt everything in my 1998 Dodge ram 1500. I loved that rig, but it was limiting in size. Everyone I hit the trail with was in jeeps or yotas and the ole girl had a little junk in the trunk lol. I finally had to let her go Saturday and it was pretty sad. I took a huge loss, but that is what was holding me back. I kept thinking about how much money I had put in it and it was blinding me. Well after she broke down on the way to a trip I finally said enough is enough and sold it. Going to pick up an XJ next weekend.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I sadly just had to make this decision. I had rebuilt everything in my 1998 Dodge ram 1500. I loved that rig, but it was limiting in size. Everyone I hit the trail with was in jeeps or yotas and the ole girl had a little junk in the trunk lol. I finally had to let her go Saturday and it was pretty sad. I took a huge loss, but that is what was holding me back. I kept thinking about how much money I had put in it and it was blinding me. Well after she broke down on the way to a trip I finally said enough is enough and sold it. Going to pick up an XJ next weekend.
That’s so sad. My last full size truck was an 04 ram 1500. I actually shed a tear when I sold that truck. An xj is a dream rig of mine. It’s got the capabilities of a wrangler, just as big of an aftermarket, it’s a great size and has great cargo space over a wrangler. Your xj might be a breath of fresh air

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

That’s so sad. My last full size truck was an 04 ram 1500. I actually shed a tear when I sold that truck. An xj is a dream rig of mine. It’s got the capabilities of a wrangler, just as big of an aftermarket, it’s a great size and has great cargo space over a wrangler. Your xj might be a breath of fresh air
Ive wanted an XJ for over 10 years LOL just never pulled the trigger. Im sad the dodge is gone there were many memories in that thing, but time to start my dream rig LOL

Reactions: tacoclifford

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This was a good read. It's nice to know I'm not alone. You guys have pretty much summed up my vehicle life. I have built many vehicles over the years that didn't fit my purpose. My biggest issue was seeing something that I liked, copy it and figure out not only does it not work for me but it doesn't work for what the person had originally made it for.

My biggest problem is, I build it initially, take it out, modify until it preforms better and stops breaking. Then I realize I started with the wrong chassis to begin with. Sell for what I can get for it and start over.

Later in life I began to realize, that I was also modifying to make up for poor original manufacture engineering as well as modifying for what my intended outcome was. This may be hard to believe but, very few vehicles are designed for off road and taking any of them off road means way more maintenance. Not just oil changes but premature wear on bearings, ball joints, axles....the list goes on. We counter this by "re-engineering" with heavier, stronger parts.

As was stated in an earlier post. "there is no perfect vehicle". You have to figure out whats close to what you need and go for it. Some of my builds I thought were going to be great. I've build 3 types of rock crawler's. They were fun but, I just don't enjoy it. I figured out that I really just enjoy camping, fishing and exploring.

This post made me realize I have built (modified) 13 vehicles in my lifetime. I never actually counted them. I now have an older Land Cruiser SUV. I'm almost done making it dependable and most of all, very few mods. I loved my pickups but wanted more room inside. The Jeeps were too small and the engineering is very poor (sorry Jeep guys. no offense meant). The others were just too old or didn't work for what I wanted.

Am I happy with my latest project, yes. I did enjoy everything I built so, it wasn't all waste. I did over time, learn what I really wanted and how to achieve it. Does this mean I may end up with something else? Gawd I hope not. There is also a point where you spend more time building and not enough time enjoying.

Scott

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
This was a good read. It's nice to know I'm not alone. You guys have pretty much summed up my vehicle life. I have built many vehicles over the years that didn't fit my purpose. My biggest issue was seeing something that I liked, copy it and figure out not only does it not work for me but it doesn't work for what the person had originally made it for.

My biggest problem is, I build it initially, take it out, modify until it preforms better and stops breaking. Then I realize I started with the wrong chassis to begin with. Sell for what I can get for it and start over.

Later in life I began to realize, that I was also modifying to make up for poor original manufacture engineering as well as modifying for what my intended outcome was. This may be hard to believe but, very few vehicles are designed for off road and taking any of them off road means way more maintenance. Not just oil changes but premature wear on bearings, ball joints, axles....the list goes on. We counter this by "re-engineering" with heavier, stronger parts.

As was stated in an earlier post. "there is no perfect vehicle". You have to figure out whats close to what you need and go for it. Some of my builds I thought were going to be great. I've build 3 types of rock crawler's. They were fun but, I just don't enjoy it. I figured out that I really just enjoy camping, fishing and exploring.

This post made me realize I have built (modified) 13 vehicles in my lifetime. I never actually counted them. I now have an older Land Cruiser SUV. I'm almost done making it dependable and most of all, very few mods. I loved my pickups but wanted more room inside. The Jeeps were too small and the engineering is very poor (sorry Jeep guys. no offense meant). The others were just too old or didn't work for what I wanted.

Am I happy with my latest project, yes. I did enjoy everything I built so, it wasn't all waste. I did over time, learn what I really wanted and how to achieve it. Does this mean I may end up with something else? Gawd I hope not. There is also a point where you spend more time building and not enough time enjoying.

Scott
You just summed it up perfectly. I hope this doesn’t turn into a Jeep bashing party but I have the same expierence as you. Poor poor engineering. Im sure I said it up top but I’m driving a new body style Cherokee. It’s amazing how much engineering went into this thing just to make it function the way the engineers wanted.

But going off of what you said about increased maintenance. Your right. It’s not just more frequent regular maintenance. Take my Cherokee for example. 2014 Cherokee trailhawk with 50k miles. Last month I finally got it back after being at the dealership for 37 days. The transmission had to be replaced along with the transmission computer and rear end. It needed a new axle, ball joints, an alternator, serpentine belt, and a battery. Some of this stuff is common maintainer but the majority of it was because of water. It’s never been in deep deep water. Maybe halfway up the 31” tires But that was enough to flood the rear end. Flood the tranny and just burn everything up.

Some vehicles just can’t hold up to the abuse. I like your route. An older simpler vehicle that will likely outlast any plastic vehicle made today.

Reactions: Jeff B and smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Take my Cherokee for example. 2014 Cherokee trailhawk with 50k miles
Nice vehicle.
My 04 TJ needed bearings and ball joints around 30k. That's when I realized my Dana 44 (Rubicon) was actually a light built Dana 30 with a 44 Ring and Pinion. Im glad the JK's and the later Cherokees were built much better.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Aftermarket support will probably come with time. It is a Jeep after all.

The XJ went out of production 18 years ago. That is almost 2 decades. Aftermarket parts development is still happening today. And what is available today was not available within 5 years of the beginning of XJ production (1983).

It takes time.

If I were you I would be calling the companies from which you would like to be buying aftermarket parts that don't yet exist and pestering them about making them. Make them aware of a demand and they might create a supply. With any luck you will get to help them in the process of bringing parts to market.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Aftermarket support will probably come with time. It is a Jeep after all.

The XJ went out of production 18 years ago. That is almost 2 decades. Aftermarket parts development is still happening today. And what is available today was not available within 5 years of the beginning of XJ production (1983).

It takes time.

If I were you I would be calling the companies from which you would like to be buying aftermarket parts that don't yet exist and pestering them about making them. Make them aware of a demand and they might create a supply. With any luck you will get to help them in the process of bringing parts to market.

I thought the same. The sad truth is that the aftermarket for this vehicle is going the other direction. Expedition one was making a bumper for the Cherokee. They stopped making it because demand dropped off. Rough country used to make a lift for the Cherokee. They just pulled it after the 2018 model year. They don’t make one for the 2019’s and probably won’t. I don’t see a demand for this vehicle getting any bigger than it is. It’s already been out for 5 years. And people are starting to understand that this just isn’t a proper vehicle for this type of thing. There’s loads of other options that would be much better suited and built stronger.

I just have to stop whining about it haha. It’s not the vehicle for this purpose. I’ll get rid of it eventually and upgrade. It certainly is time to call it quits for this build

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
If folks have developed parts and are already dropping them that is a game changer.

That may indeed mean there is no future for that platform.

If that is the case, the sooner you sell the better.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

MY 2 cents..

I may not speak for everyone, nor do I intend to be. but my thoughts are that, as overlanders, we invest a lot into our vehicles, and I firmly believe that you should without a doubt LOVE your rig. If your not happy with it, and have doubts, then upgrade to something that makes you excited everytime you get behind the wheel.

Reactions: smritte

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
MY 2 cents..

I may not speak for everyone, nor do I intend to be. but my thoughts are that, as overlanders, we invest a lot into our vehicles, and I firmly believe that you should without a doubt LOVE your rig. If your not happy with it, and have doubts, then upgrade to something that makes you excited everytime you get behind the wheel.
I’m with you. I totally agree

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I think I had the opposite problem you do. All I ever wanted to do was just get out there and explore. I was never into doing hardcore trail systems or rock crawling, but I somehow ended up with built rigs. I have found myself much happier embracing the limitations of my current vehicle and changing my idea of how I explore to fit said limitations. It may be a bit of a challenge for most, but for me my rig is simply a tool to allow me to cover lots of ground quickly so I can get to the cool places where I explore on foot or on a bicycle.
So my advice, embrace the limitations, it may open you up to other enjoyable activities.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Against my better advice, my son-in-law bought one of those Trail Hawks a few years ago. It had the same factory options as yours. He drove it for 9 months, cut his losses and traded it in on a 4Runner "Trail". I think you reached the point you asked about as soon as you realized that no amount of modifications were going to make the vehicle something it was not. And, quite frankly it is not a truck. Doing what you are doing tells me that you will not be happy until you get into a "body on frame" vehicle. It is a shame that Jeep marketing has bamboozled the public with their "trail rated" badge. This vehicle is way less capable than the Subaru. You should sell it asap, run away and never look back.