When is it too hot to camp?

• HTML tutorial

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

Being in the southeastern part of the country and thanks to Little Buddy heater it doesn't get too cold to camp. But once it gets 70 or above at night I really don't care to camp even if we have a good fan it is just too hot. What is your cutoff temperatures and how do you keep cool?

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Living in the desert Southwest means we camp in the desert half of the year and the mountains during the other half. In Vegas we are lucky to have both within about an hour. Night temps in the mid 70s is where I make that cutoff. While I will camp with temps in the 20s in both the desert and the mountains, as soon as it warms up I’m headed to the hills.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

A big differentiator for us here in the east is humidity. @vegasjeepguy's mid-70s and 10% humidity is comfortable. @Tim N Michele Davis having mid-70s and 90% humidity at night is stifling!

It probably sounds odd for westerners to hear us say that 70° is hot. But when you walk out the door and are drenched in sweat in just minutes due to 80% plus humidity, it's pretty uncomfortable.

Right now it is 76° here in Northern Ohio, and 78% humidity. And that's a cool day. Lat week was in the 90s and 90%!

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

It probably sounds odd for westerners to hear us say that 70° is hot. But when you walk out the door and are drenched in sweat in just minutes due to 80% plus humidity, it's pretty uncomfortable.

Right now it is 76° here in Northern Ohio, and 78% humidity. And that's a cool day. Lat week was in the 90s and 90%!
I remember those days growing up in Ohio. Also bear in mind with day time temps in the 100s and 110s, it’s up to 40 degrees cooler which makes a difference.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

A big differentiator for us here in the east is humidity. @vegasjeepguy's mid-70s and 10% humidity is comfortable. @Tim N Michele Davis having mid-70s and 90% humidity at night is stifling!

Yup. I've spent some quality time in both Florida and Georgia. Humidity is not my friend. Give me the desert any day.

Ditch

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

New Park, Pennsylvania
Member #

I agree with the fact that humidity can totally ruin even the cooler temps, especially if you happen to be camping under a canopy of deciduous trees. Then when the barometer change lets you know a storm is brewing, and your camp smoke won't rise, but hangs on the ground and suffocates you, it gets really uncomfortable.

On an average day of 50% or less humidity, I would say 80 degrees F. would meet my comfort limit.

After that I would use cool wet bandannas around the head and neck to ease discomfort. Anything over 90 degrees F. makes for a totally miserable night's sleep. A net hammock can help with mosquito netting but everyone sleeps differently.