When is enough really enough?

• HTML tutorial

Should I keep spending money on my daily driver or should I scrap it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I don't know where this idea came from that you should not repair a car if the cost of the repairs exceeds the value of the car. That is hardly the right comparison. The real issue is whether or not the cost of the repairs exceeds what it is going to cost you to replace the car.

I think people come up with nonsense just in an effort to justify their desire for something new and shiny.

If you want new and shiny, okay. Just be honest about what you are doing.
I do agree with the philosophy of the cost of repairs exceeds the value replace it WITH caveats. My example is my wife’s XC90 V8 Sport. It had a timing cover oil leak and then developed a pretty significant rear main seal leak. It was rare model and in terrific shape for a 12 year old vehicle, but had 205k on the clock. It was 3 grand just to fix the rear main and upwards of $5k to fix all the leaks. The vehicle had a KBB value of $5-6k. We sold that one, as-is, and moved on. While there was nothing else pressing, I knew there would be more things coming up. We had decided that we didn’t need two 7 passenger vehicles anymore and had planned on replacing it in 1-2 years before this all came up. We also have the philosophy of older (nice) cars that we pay cash for.

Now, had this happened to my LR3, I’d have fixed it. I think most of the people here are in the similar mindset to this because when the answer they’re probably referring to their rig. They’ve figured out what they like AND have modded it to their liking. Unless you find that one right person, those mods don’t really add much value to the vehicle. Which then makes more sense to fix it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I do agree with the philosophy of the cost of repairs exceeds the value replace it WITH caveats. My example is my wife’s XC90 V8 Sport. It had a timing cover oil leak and then developed a pretty significant rear main seal leak. It was rare model and in terrific shape for a 12 year old vehicle, but had 205k on the clock. It was 3 grand just to fix the rear main and upwards of $5k to fix all the leaks. The vehicle had a KBB value of $5-6k. We sold that one, as-is, and moved on. While there was nothing else pressing, I knew there would be more things coming up. We had decided that we didn’t need two 7 passenger vehicles anymore and had planned on replacing it in 1-2 years before this all came up. We also have the philosophy of older (nice) cars that we pay cash for.

Now, had this happened to my LR3, I’d have fixed it. I think most of the people here are in the similar mindset to this because when the answer they’re probably referring to their rig. They’ve figured out what they like AND have modded it to their liking. Unless you find that one right person, those mods don’t really add much value to the vehicle. Which then makes more sense to fix it.
Yes, you are right. When I say fix it I am referring to my-your rig for OB activities. Now, there are people who use their rig as a DD. If this is the case, I would say fix it without hesitation.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I have glass coverage in my insurance, but only if the windows get smashed by someone breaking into my car.

The wiring will be fixed next week.

The headlights need adjusting because I've put taller tires on it, the stock size is a 27x8.5r16 (215/65-16) and the current tires are a 28.1x9.3r17 (235/60r17 <- those are 4.11% bigger than stock and I'm only allowed a 5% increase in tiresize over what the stock size is) which are the biggest tires I could fit legally and physically, they will be replaced next year anyway as I'm planning on getting a set of 245/40-20's (<- those are 2.63% bigger than the stock size) for my car, just to be different.
Joey83,
Just trying to help you by sharing what I know to be true from years of 4wheeling. I started by driving on the beach at around 12 years old. Have not stopped 4wheeling. I’m young at 59! I was blessed to have the use of a 69’ Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup at such an early age. 3 on the tree, manual trans. and a 383 Magnum motor! Now that was a truck! How about that to start out with! Wish I still had that truck! Vance.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I wholeheartedly agree.

I don't know where this idea came from that you should not repair a car if the cost of the repairs exceeds the value of the car. That is hardly the right comparison. The real issue is whether or not the cost of the repairs exceeds what it is going to cost you to replace the car.

I think people come up with nonsense just in an effort to justify their desire for something new and shiny.

If you want new and shiny, okay. Just be honest about what you are doing.

But unless you bought some sort of lemon, the repair route is almost always the less expensive option. Some cars are lemons by design: Yugos, K-cars, Cloud cars, probably just about anything Bob Lutz had a hand in... But if you took the time to ignore Consumer Reports and look into the reality of whether or not a vehicle is a solid platform and bought intelligently then you should be better off maintaining and repairing your rig.
I have found Consumer Reports are good for reliability ratings as they are based on customer surveys. As for opinions about other things I take them with a huge grain of salt.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Joey83,
Just trying to help you by sharing what I know to be true from years of 4wheeling. I started by driving on the beach at around 12 years old. Have not stopped 4wheeling. I’m young at 59! I was blessed to have the use of a 69’ Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup at such an early age. 3 on the tree, manual trans. and a 383 Magnum motor! Now that was a truck! How about that to start out with! Wish I still had that truck! Vance.
I bet you'd love my 84 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 with a 360 ci 650 double pumper Holly, 3 speed auto, w/ 410 locker rear and 32" procomp A/T tires.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Whoever said the "Tucson" was the right tool ? Obviously there are many OB'ers who would disagree with that statement.
Please explain the "your vehicle" statement. I doubt anyone here knows just what you are referring too, it doesn't seem to
fit the conversation. Not being arguemenitive, Just need clarification of your comment. Thanks
My comment was based on the first post in this thread. I don't think a Tucson is the right tool either, but it's what the OP has been working with and is of a mind to keep on the road. I was suggesting that maybe his adventures have progressed to the point he needs something more capable, which is why he's having a hard time keeping the Tucson together.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My comment was based on the first post in this thread. I don't think a Tucson is the right tool either, but it's what the OP has been working with and is of a mind to keep on the road. I was suggesting that maybe his adventures have progressed to the point he needs something more capable, which is why he's having a hard time keeping the Tucson together.
I agree, my misunderstanding. Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: Kevin108